Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

grindcore and such

Re: grindcore and such
January 29, 2008, 10:44:20 AM
Too repetitive? ASSUCK? you cannot be serious. their music constantly changes. they dont stick to a guitar part for more than 10 seconds usually. personally, Assuck is one of my favorite grindcore bands. completely crushing, brutal, nihilistic music.

id go so far as to say Assuck is one of the best grindcore bands there ever was, and ever will be. everyone here should check out "Anticapital". one of the finest grind releases ever put forth.

Assuck is trally great, however I have AIDS and i'd say that Misery Index is better than ANticapital (The band with the same name also crushes, too bad becuase of their ideology, really great guys).

January 29, 2008, 10:08:24 PM
And their lyrics aren't the traditional leftist garbage by most mid-90s grind.

They still use Marxist rhetoric and concentrate on criticizing modern society from an anti-traditionalist standpoint without explicitly providing any alternative. I write "explicitly", as I agree with the notion that their lyrics aren't run-off-the-mill lefty satire/propaganda - more like a disoriented laborer's version of "Industrial Society and Its Future" which is accurate in its criticism, but unsure whether the ideas that stand behind it would be capable of setting a realistic strategy for war against the status quo. That aside, Assück are indeed both unique and excellent as Epic Ambient Transcendent Grindcore (which was a description that naturally occurred to me when I first heard "Anticapital").

February 01, 2008, 04:38:14 AM
Assuck is trally great, however I have AIDS and i'd say that Misery Index is better than ANticapital (The band with the same name also crushes, too bad becuase of their ideology, really great guys).

their ideology? im not sure of it. could you explain?

all that aside, Misery Index is a very good release. but then, you cant really go wrong with any Assuck material. not a dud in the bunch.

also, i own 2 albums and an EP from the BAND Misery Index, and ive seen them live. pretty impressive all around (composition, instrumental talent, lyrics, etc). you can tell that theyre really into what their doing. "honest", i like to call it. quality stuff.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 03, 2008, 04:44:55 PM
their ideology? im not sure of it. could you explain?

All grindcore bands seem to have an ideology somewhere between American Democrats and anarchists, usually impractical and mechanistic, the kind of liberalism that delivered us to the machine-state in the first place.

Even Godflesh was affected. Sad, really, because it's what got us in this mess, and it won't get us out, so it's like screaming/pissing into the wind.
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

February 05, 2008, 01:50:22 AM

All grindcore bands seem to have an ideology somewhere between American Democrats and anarchists, usually impractical and mechanistic, the kind of liberalism that delivered us to the machine-state in the first place.

Even Godflesh was affected. Sad, really, because it's what got us in this mess, and it won't get us out, so it's like screaming/pissing into the wind.

i wouldnt say ALL. Misery Index seem to have an apathetic viewpoint. i know Magrudergrind and Insect Warfare wouldnt care if nuclear war erupted tomorrow. but a lot of grind bands share this viewpoint.

their advantage over the big politicians, in my eyes, is that they are challenging convention, and do not seek to please mainstream audiences. though in doing so sometimes they end up trying to please the underground.

still, grindcore remains my favorite genre of music, right behind thrash metal.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 05, 2008, 02:39:49 AM
the Cro-Mags' "Age of Quarrel" was released in 1988, and is a crushing example of hardcore punk infused with thrash metal.

I don't know what "thrash metal" is ;)

The Cro-Mags took their time releasing songs that were, if I recall correctly, written much earlier.

So with 3 years of writing, a solid foundation of songs already in the band's repertoire, along with music from Harley's never released solo recording including "Don't Tread on Me," the Cro-Mags needed only a few more songs to complete the now classic set list. Those songs were completed with John Joseph and on November 2, 1984, and on February 16, 1985 the Cro-Mags went into High Five Studios and recorded 12 songs.

That moment in time when four very different freaks got together to make music was historic. The recordings made in that session were simply the blue print for all hardcore that followed and set the stage for the definitive hardcore album of all time, "The Age of Quarrel." This CD, now poignantly titled "Before the Quarrel" captured the raw fire that circumstances had created by bringing this unlikely group together. These recordings are revered as the pinnacle moment of the Cro-Mags and the favorite recordings of Cro-Mags fans.

http://www.cro-mags.com/history.htm

The point stands, of course, but as a general rule, hardcore was dead in 1985, which was fortunate as proto-(death metal/black metal), grindcore, thrash and speed metal had just risen from its ashes 1983-1985. Hardcore lived on in what it influenced, which was fortunate because it was musically limited.

Proto-(death metal/black metal) 1983-1985

Slayer - Show No Mercy
Bathory - The Return
Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
Sepultura - Bestial Devastation
Possessed - Seven Churches

Honorable mention goes to Morbid Angel, who got "Abominations of Desolation" out in 1986, and Necrovore, who recorded at about the same time, beating Chuck Shuldiner and Death by a full two years and influencing their sound for the better (sadly, Chuck died of AIDS fourteen years later RIP).

Thrash

DRI - Dirty Rotten LP
Cryptic Slaughter - Convicted

Grindcore

Napalm Death - From Enslavement... (I think)

Speed Metal

Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh
Nuclear Assault - The Plague

...and it was off to the races. All of these were heavily influenced by hardcore, most notably the British bands The Exploited and Discharge, but not alien to Black Flag and the Cro-Mags.

chrstphrbnntt

February 05, 2008, 10:15:40 AM
Grind is mostly worthless and summed up in about six albums, and Death had demos out in 84 that were circulated all over the metal community, and I have no clue why you mentoned that dumbass Exodus album. DMBM, do me a favor and shut the fuck up. Idiot.

Possessed and a few other bands also had 1984 demos. However, Death had a 1983 demo. I haven't heard it, or any other Death demo; just stating facts.

February 05, 2008, 01:54:10 PM
good point DMBM. i was getting at the statement that no good hardcore albums came after 1985, and that AOQ was released in 1988 (or 87?). that was my whole deal.

its a fucking great album though. one of the best in the hardcore scene.

also seems metal RIP woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  
No.

February 05, 2008, 11:13:33 PM
However, Death had a 1983 demo. I haven't heard it, or any other Death demo; just stating facts.

Death's 1983 demo came out in 1984. It was like bad speed metal with whiny singing. If I produce a demo of myself farting, and when a musical genre comes along claim I was doing it all along, was I an innovator like that AIDS patient?
ASBO

“Kurt Cobain was, ladies and gentlemen, a worthless shred of human debris.” - Rush Limbaugh

February 06, 2008, 05:45:55 AM

Death's 1983 demo came out in 1984. It was like bad speed metal with whiny singing. If I produce a demo of myself farting, and when a musical genre comes along claim I was doing it all along, was I an innovator like that AIDS patient?

You sure you're not thinking of Morbid Angel's 85 demos? That Death demo I mentioned from 84 is raw, but good. Primal in intent, savage in execution. Like early raw necro black metal, except done by a Slayer worshipping California teenager wishing to prove to himself he isn't really gay. Ultimately, I don't hold that against early Death, I mean, isn't that what Judas Priest was about too? Oh and for your information that demo has Kam Lee on vocals and they're a much rawer version of what he did on Massacre's stuff.

chrstphrbnntt

February 06, 2008, 08:35:00 AM

I'm fairly sure Death By Metal was released in 1983 as Mantas.

I didn't say anything about innovation, just the release date.

February 06, 2008, 12:09:20 PM
I don't know for sure the release date and no one else here does either. For many years metal-archives said 1984 then it changed to 1983 more recently. But the consensus in the metal community is that it was 1984, and that Possessed’s demo was out before Death’s and influenced it, though I think the latter half of that was just speculation based on later similarities between the bands some years down the line. One year’s difference in this embryonic stage of metal is very significant though. I think I’ll email Kam Lee for clarification.

February 08, 2008, 06:41:13 PM

Respectfully, I disagree here.

Metal has always been a genre of melodic, long riffs put together toward a sense of the epic.

Hardcore, thrash, and their spawn grindcore have been about the literal reality, a kind of meta-politics that says: look at reality as it really is, and you'll see it sucks, and the disease runs deeper than our social institutions can address.

As a result, hardcore-derived genres are short riffs tied together by rhythm, with melody as an accent or tuning (Discharge) more than a method of composition.

Speed metal, death metal and black metal fused these genres and took the raw power of hardcore and applied it to metal ideals, sans the parts of metal that hardcore found disgusting (self-pleasuring, drunken, long solos, frivolous songs about fucking).

Grindcore has room to grow but if it grows too much, it loses that hardcore component, which I think is at this point obsolete -- it's too limited to be anything but rehashes of a few archetypes.

Ask yourself why there have been no epic hardcore albums since 1985, and no epic grindcore albums since 1992 or so.

To preface what may be a somewhat long post, let me start this off this by stating that I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm certainly fascinated with Nihilism as a philosophy, as I haven't come to many ethos' that give me as many solid answers (not that I agree with any philosophy in full). Also  as a long time metal fan it's good to see someone, ANYONE taking in art in any shape or form as more than mere entertainment. However, I have to respectfully disagree about the whole, "No epic hardcore after 85" statement. Hardcore punk is probably my first love. Despite any sweeping generalizations made here, lyrically it extends all the way across the political and philosophical spectrum. Plenty of it is transcendent and moving, and could be interpreted as quite Nihilistic as well. I realize that most people that post here are Metal guys first and foremost, and I realize that I'm probably not going to change too many people's minds here, but if you have an off day and wish to give some post 85 hardcore punk a shot, seek out the following. If anyone is curious, I'd be more than happy to describe/upload any of these records.

Citizens Arrest - Colossus
Sheer Terror - Just Can't Hate Enough
Infest - Slave
9 Shocks Terror - Zen and the Art of Beating Your Ass
His Hero is Gone - Monuments to Thieves
Bastard - Wind of Pain
Capitalist Casualties - s/t
Tear it Up - Nothing to Nothing
Judge - Bringing it Down
Destroy - Necropolis
SFA - The New Morality
Left for Dead - Splitting Heads
Out Cold - Goodbye Cruel World
Devoid of Faith - Discography
Cold Sweat - Blinded
Never Healed - s/t
Mind Eraser - Glacial Reign
Tragedy - Vengeance
Deathreat - s/t
Wolfpack - All Day Hell
Integrity - Systems Overload
Black SS - Foreign Object

chrstphrbnntt

February 08, 2008, 06:57:07 PM
Citizens Arrest - Colossus
Sheer Terror - Just Can't Hate Enough
Infest - Slave
9 Shocks Terror - Zen and the Art of Beating Your Ass
His Hero is Gone - Monuments to Thieves
Bastard - Wind of Pain
Capitalist Casualties - s/t
Tear it Up - Nothing to Nothing
Judge - Bringing it Down
Destroy - Necropolis
SFA - The New Morality
Left for Dead - Splitting Heads
Out Cold - Goodbye Cruel World
Devoid of Faith - Discography
Cold Sweat - Blinded
Never Healed - s/t
Mind Eraser - Glacial Reign
Tragedy - Vengeance
Deathreat - s/t
Wolfpack - All Day Hell
Integrity - Systems Overload
Black SS - Foreign Object

I'd be interested in uploads of whichever of these are your favorites; I haven't heard any of them.

To add to the list, Downsided by No Comment is an excellent slab of late period hardcore.

February 08, 2008, 07:35:26 PM
i`d like too see some of those uploaded too,
particularly SFA, HHIG,Wolfpack anf Judge.
The tapestry of this planet is my muse. - Paul Speckmann