Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Cleaning out my music collection....

Cleaning out my music collection....
September 26, 2010, 03:42:41 AM
I seem to have accumulated a lot of music that I haven't really been able to get into, despite having had these files on my computer or music player for quite some time. I want to delete some of these albums, explore other bands, but the problem is that some of my favorite bands took me a while to appreciate (these tend to be bands recommended by ANUS). So here's a list of stuff I have, looking for simple advice - delete, worth keeping, or listen to ASAP (or perhaps advice regarding checking out better work by the bands in question).

Abigor - Orkblut
Absu - Tara
Auzhia - The Key of Throne
Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Beithioch - Aisling Dhorcha
Bethlehem - Dictius te Necare (I have Dark Metal, which seems to be much better....)
Blazemth - Fatherland, For Centuries Left Behind
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta 2, The Work Which Transforms God (I quite like Ultima Thule, but these albums.....)
Carpathian Forest - Through Chasm Caves and Titan Woods
Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm of the Lights Bane
Enslaved - Frost (Vikingligr Veldi is awesome, but this.....)
Evilfeast - Mysteries of the Nocturnal Forest
Fen - Ancient Sorrow
Forest of Fog - Nebelhymen
Gorgoroth - Destroyer
Horn - Naturkraft
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages
Krallice - Krallice
Krieg - Destruction Ritual
Kroda - All albums except "Towards the Firmaments..."
Kvist - For Kunsten Ma Vi Evig Vike
Lunar Aurora - Ars Moriendi
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane
Moonblood - Blut Und Krieg
Mutilation - Remains of a Ruined Dead Cursed Soul
Nachtmystium - Eulogy 4
Naglfar - Hunengrab Im Herbst, Srrontgorrth
Nargaroth - Herbstleyd
Nazgul - De Expugnatione Elfmuth
Nazxul - Iconoclast
Negative Plane - Et in Saecula Saculorum
Negura Bunget - Inarborat Kosmos, Om, N Crugu Bradului
Night Conquers Day - The First Snowfall
Pensees Nocturnes - Vacuum
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Profanatica - Profanitatis de Domonatia
Sacramentum - The Coming of Chaos (but I really really love Far Away from the Sun)
Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness (although Snowland is really great)
Sunwheel - Monuments of Elder Faith
Urfaust - Geist ist Teufel
Veles - Black Hateful Metal, The Triumph of Pagan Beliefs
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Weakling - Dead as Dreams
Windir - Arntor
Wodensthrone - Loss
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars (I listen to Two Hunters sometimes)
Wyrd - Huldrafolk, Heathen
Zyklon B - Blood Must be Shed

And now, bands I listened to one or two  times, but will might never bother with again:

Anti - The Insignificance of Life
Belenos - Spicilege
Blood of Kingu - De Occulta Philosophia
Cobalt - Eater of Birds
Coldworld - Melancholie
Darkspace - Darkspace 2
Drudkh - Firth Four Albums
Gris - Il Etait une Foret
Isengard - Hostmorke
Manegarm - Vredens Tid
Nachtmystium - Instinct Decay
Nortt - Gudsforladt, Hedengang
Nyktalgia - Nyktalgia
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Sombre Forets - Royaume De Glace
Taarma - Remnants of a Tormenting Black Shadow
Zuriaake - Afterimage of Autumn

Worth lsitening to again, or delete?

Re: Cleaning out my music collection....
September 26, 2010, 10:34:38 AM
I don't want to seem flippant, but some simple advice is: delete all.
(I'm assuming you didn't pay for much of it.)

I worry that metal-listeners (especially younger ones) fall into the bad habits of downloading any and all albums about which they've heard even minor praise. I understand the excitement and wonder behind that, but if metal is to be a robust culture, we will need some discipline in listening as music listeners, not as music consumers.

Why not find a few recommended classics on DLA, get those, and meditate deeply on them?  Make your interests deep before broad, so that you know songs by heart, right?

That being said, maybe keep the Averse Sefira, or just get "Advent Parallax".

September 26, 2010, 11:44:26 AM
I'm thinking if you can't get into Bathory then metal may be the wrong genre for you...

At any rate, the journey of musical discovery is something you'll have to go through on your own. There's no benefit or satisfaction in "fast-tracking" this journey. Maybe consider buying some of the albums that you consider to be the best, after spending time listening to and evaluating them.

September 26, 2010, 01:17:14 PM
I agree w/ the previous posters more than anything else, but I'll indulge you.  I would listen to Isengard - Hostmorke again.  Veles is great in my opinion although Black Hateful Metal is one tough nut to crack, it almost dares you to like it.  Concentrate first on The Triumph of Pagan Beliefs and Night on Bare Mountain and go from there.  Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness is not a listen to ASAP, but maybe a "worth keeping."  Sacramentum's death metal (don't expect the black metal of Far Away..) albums are very underrated if you ask me:  listen to ASAP.  The Profanatica, Kvist, and Absu are "worth keeping."  Avzhia - Key of Throne might need time to grow, but it is a listen to ASAP.  Enslaved - Frost is not as good as V V, but it is awesome - ASAP.  Averse Sefira - ASAP.  Bathory has me scratching my head, that album is a cornerstone of underground metal, it's beyond an ASAP.

Delete everything else, I haven't even heard 50% of the rest of your list, but I guarantee you can delete it.  These fringe albums always lose their luster, after a month or so, trust me.  Listen to Kraftwerk or Schubert instead.  If ANUS hasn't reviewed it on the main page, don't bother.  I try to listen to different albums here and there and I have yet to find that one album that ANUS overlooked.  Something may sound good at first, but it never stands up to repeated listens - and that's the key.  Reginald Gillette is right:  first go deep, then broad.

September 26, 2010, 02:21:04 PM
Actually I've been listening to black metal for a few years now, and pretty much know the songs from my favourite albums by heart.... It's just that I've accumulated lots of crap along the way and now need to do some cleaning up because it seems that there is probably nothing to be gained from a vast majority of these albums. I find myself listening to the same good 30 or so albums over and over, but some of these took a while to click. So I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything by getting rid of these albums.

Regarding Bathory - I'm a huge fan of Blood Fire Death and I guess my trouble with Under the Sign of the Black Mark might have something to do with me listening to BFD first.

September 26, 2010, 02:54:04 PM
I was a little reluctant to give my own input here because, frankly, you should make this decision for yourself. However, one thing I've learned through ANUS is that making an effort is ALWAYS more useful than not, even if you may be wrong. In that spirit, here is what my own decisions would be:

Definitely keep. If you haven't come to like, or even perhaps love, these albums yet, ignore them for a while. Don't try to make yourself like them; instead, let them sit, silently, until one day you get a random urge to listen to one of them again. You will likely end up being surprised:
Auzhia - The Key of Throne
Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata
Krieg - Destruction Ritual
Sacramentum - The Coming of Chaos (but I really really love Far Away from the Sun)
Veles - Black Hateful Metal, The Triumph of Pagan Beliefs
Additional notes: That Avzhia album is the best of this bunch - that thing is incredible, I have trouble understanding how you could want to delete it. Krieg fills a very specific niche, if you're not in the precise mindset required to appreciate it, it will seem dumb. Sacramentum's death metal is fantastic, I had some trouble liking it as well only because Far Away from the Sun made it seem dull in comparison - take the two albums at face value instead and they should seem much better. As was already pointed out, Veles isn't an insta-like; once it seeps in, though, it is for good.

These are all good, some even very good, but they will never be considered amazing. They're worth keeping to a degree but don't expect any miracles. You could probably afford to lose these, but they do hold their own charm in the end:
Absu - Tara
Blazemth - Fatherland, For Centuries Left Behind
Kvist - For Kunsten Ma Vi Evig Vike
Manes - Under Ein Blodraud Maane
Moonblood - Blut Und Krieg
Naglfar - Hunengrab Im Herbst, Srrontgorrth
Sorcier des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness (although Snowland is really great)
Zyklon B - Blood Must be Shed
Additional notes: Barathrum: V.I.T.R.I.O.L. is Absu's best, and also their darkest. The following two albums and the In the Eyes of Ioldanach EP are fantastic as well. Tara is good, but not on the same level as those four works. I find Under the Sign of the Black Mark to be the weakest of Bathory's early work, so I get why you're considering getting rid of it, but it nevertheless maintains its own distinct character within his catalogue. The production of the Blazemth works is pretty hilarious, but the music itself is still good. Frost is, as you said, a pale comparison to Enslaved's debut, but like Under the Sign of the Black Mark it is good for its own reasons. Every single one of the other bands have value, but nothing close to the bands in the first list.

These are OK. Not great, and not even necessarily "good." I myself would probably give them a few weeks each at most, but I wouldn't say they're immediately horrible. Still, in the end, delete:
Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta 2, The Work Which Transforms God (I quite like Ultima Thule, but these albums.....)
Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm of the Lights Bane
Gorgoroth - Destroyer
Nazgul - De Expugnatione Elfmuth
Nazxul - Iconoclast
Negative Plane - Et in Saecula Saculorum
Pensees Nocturnes - Vacuum
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Windir - Arntor
Additional notes: Blut Aus Nord's best is definitely, as you already know, Ultima Thulee - but even that would only be included in the second section above, if at all. Memoria Vetusta I is decent as well, certainly better than II, but in the end you're still not missing much by ignoring it. Nazxul isn't bad, actually, and I think I'm in the minority by finding their new album better than their "classic" old one. The new one might be worth placement in the second section above, actually, but probably not.

A pile of AIDS. Clean out with steel wool ASAP or risk infection:
Cobalt - Eater of Birds
Coldworld - Melancholie
Dark Tribe - In Jeraspunta
Darkspace - Darkspace 2
Drudkh - Firth Four Albums
Krallice - Krallice
Lunar Aurora - Ars Moriendi
Nachtmystium - Eulogy 4
Nachtmystium - Instinct Decay
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars (I listen to Two Hunters sometimes)
Wyrd - Huldrafolk, Heathen

September 26, 2010, 04:31:28 PM
If ANUS hasn't reviewed it on the main page, don't bother. 

I really don't want to be a stickler, but isn't this the kind of attitude towards music we should be trying to AVOID here?

September 26, 2010, 05:11:26 PM

I really don't want to be a stickler, but isn't this the kind of attitude towards music we should be trying to AVOID here?

Well it depends on you situation and how much free time you have.  You're an "Examiner," right?  It's your job to get out in front and try new stuff out, certainly.  But the way I see it, when you're right, you're right.  And ANUS has proven itself w/ me over and over again.  I'm not going to argue w/ Spengler about history, I'm not going to argue w/ Stephen Hawking about black holes, and I'm not going to argue w/ ANUS about metal.  "Thinking for yourself" has completely and totally triumphed and it has now become a cliche.  It's such a given that we don't even need to remind one another to do it.  Healthy Skepticism has become Hyper-Skepticism.  So I say:  OBEY YOUR MASTER WITHOUT QUESTION.  Also:  ANUS does stay up to date (Blaspherian, Disma, Birth A.D., and the new Profanatica are all reviewed on the main page).  Thinking for yourself is fine, but know who to trust, also.

September 26, 2010, 05:58:23 PM

Well it depends on you situation and how much free time you have.  You're an "Examiner," right?  It's your job to get out in front and try new stuff out, certainly.  But the way I see it, when you're right, you're right.  And ANUS has proven itself w/ me over and over again.  I'm not going to argue w/ Spengler about history, I'm not going to argue w/ Stephen Hawking about black holes, and I'm not going to argue w/ ANUS about metal.  "Thinking for yourself" has completely and totally triumphed and it has now become a cliche.  It's such a given that we don't even need to remind one another to do it.  Healthy Skepticism has become Hyper-Skepticism.  So I say:  OBEY YOUR MASTER WITHOUT QUESTION.  Also:  ANUS does stay up to date (Blaspherian, Disma, Birth A.D., and the new Profanatica are all reviewed on the main page).  Thinking for yourself is fine, but know who to trust, also.

Good points all around. I agree with the fact that the staff of ANUS has impeccable taste when it comes to metal, to the point where I can definitely see why you said what you did. I trust their judgment when it comes to metal, mostly. Still, ANUS promotes stuff which I find absolutely no personal musical value in whatsoever (despite it usually being quality material regardless). Conversely, there's stuff I enjoy that would get dismissed as garbage by ANUS. It all comes down to a balance, as in much of life.

September 26, 2010, 06:00:10 PM

This is a fantastic point that would end much useless debate on this forum, but I don't know if anyone will ever really get it.

September 26, 2010, 06:01:24 PM
Its hard to know where to look, when there is a sea of low-quality metal.  It took me at least a few years to find all the good stuff, DLA and Encyclopaedia Metallum helped quite a bit.  I think its fun in a way, looking back comparing old music to the tunes you listen to now.

September 26, 2010, 07:41:19 PM

Nargaroth - Herbstleyd

Can everything else, and I was pretty liberal with this list. Everything here gets an ASAP, except the Nargaroth which is a C+, but one of the better third wave bands. Herbstleyd is the only worthy recording they have, and if you don't like it right away, delete.

September 26, 2010, 11:00:40 PM
Enslaved - Frost

Can anyone explain why you would want to listen to this? Especially since their Vikingligr Veldi and Hordanes Land releases already exist as eternal examples of this particular style.

If anything I found it a dumb-downed, streamlined version of their best work, with added hooks and bouncy rhythms (ala rock music). I think the DLA review suggests that it is "viking drinking music" in certain parts. As a whole it's circus music (evident "folk" gimmick, with very little underneath of any real value, in my opinion).

This is equivalent to the gap in quality evident in most of the later work of the other greats (Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum etc).

I found it relatively easy to shed this from my collection.

Any thoughts to the contrary?

September 27, 2010, 12:49:26 AM

This is a fantastic point that would end much useless debate on this forum, but I don't know if anyone will ever really get it.

Fully agree. The DLA is a valuable resource for both metal veterans and non-veterans (like me), but more for the latter. I've spent a lot of time looking for good metal in the mainstream magazines as well as the MySpace "underground", but found little of enduring value. The DLA staff search through a figurative sea of shit to bring the few sapphires to light, and finding a great album isn't any less of a triumph for me just because it's listed on the DLA.

As for the original post, all I can say is:

Abigor - Orkblut :Keep. Everything else in Abigor's catalog is crap. Try it again, and if you like it also check out the first Summoning album.
Absu - Tara : Toss. Musically, it's more proficient than previous works, but it fails to build that powerful atmosphere. To me, V.I.T.R.I.O.L and Sun of Tiphareth are far better albums and definitely worth keeping.
Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata: ASAP. This one takes effort getting into, but this is Averse Sefira's peak. Advent Parallax is not a bad album, but I feel that the band should have devoted less of that album trying to be all high-brow and shit.
Avzhia - Key of throne: WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! KEEP!!! ASAP!! This kind of black metal hasn't been written since Emperor's ITNE and is every bit as great. Try this one again on one of those rainy nights when you just can't get to sleep. See where that takes you.
Enslaved - Frost: Retry - I couldn't really get this either, but do make sure to give it a serious try.
Gorgoroth - Destroyer : Toss. Without a question, toss.
Mutilation - Remains of a Ruined Dead Cursed Soul - Keep and retry later. Probably one of the hardest ways to get into this type of black metal. A very rewarding listen if you *do* get into it, though, so keep and try again later.
Negura Bunget - Inarborat Kosmos, Om, N Crugu Bradului : Toss. I really wanted to like this band too, but apart from the first couple tracks on N Crugu Bradului, it's a waste of time.
Zyklon B - Blood Must be Shed : ASAP. You didn't like Bloodsoil? Seriously?

September 27, 2010, 01:09:16 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! Bands/albums I've deleted already:

Coldworld
Pensees Nocturnes
Draugurz
Diabolical Masquerade
Forest of fog
Krallice
Lugubrum
Urfaust
Gris
Night Conquers Day
Nazgul
Nachtmystium
A Forest of Stars
Nargaroth
Lunar Aurora
Nortt
Sombres Forets
Fen
Sombre Chemin
Peste Noire
Horna
Belenos
Anti
Beithioch
Wyrd
Wodensthrone
Horn
Negura Bunget

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Enslaved - Frost (Both these albums just sound like noise... I can't stomach more than 20-30 seconds before I have to put In the Nightside Eclipse or Vikingligr Veldi back on.)
Summoning - Stronghold, Let Mortal Heroes Sing your Fame, Lost Tales (Wierd, retarded circus music compared to Dol Guldur, Minas Morgul and Nightshade Forests, I'm glad they found their way back to good music with Oath Bound)
Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan, Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam, Destroyer
Blut aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God (I actually have Memoria Vetusta 1, not 2, so I will give that another listen)
Drudkh - Anti Urban, Estrangement, Microcosmos (This was one of my introductory black metal bands, so baby steps... But none of their music really does anything for me now)
Wolves in the Throne Room - Everything except Two Hunters
Sacramentum - the coming of chaos (Not a death metal person, but I'll redownload if I move on to that from black metal... Right now all this does is make me play Far Away from the Sun ASAP)
Absu - Tara (I'll listen to Barathrum Vitriol first)