Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Can all music be catagorized into a specific genre?

Can all music be catagorized into a specific genre?
September 27, 2010, 07:54:59 AM
Can you make a music without a genre? Simply put, I do not have enough experience as a appreciator of music to form an opinion. Also, if not all music can be categorized into a particular genre, what are some example of music without categorization?

Just intuitively:

A genre, like any conceptual tool, does not represent some concrete thing, but is a label to identify different pieces of music with similar characteristics, holding especially strong when a single tool can be used to measure.

So the question becomes: could there be music that does not fit in with any of the measures currently used to identify music. Well, that's trivial, as otherwise new genres could not be created. But will we one day form a genre for the music? Well, probably (though not necessarily). Typically, though, any successful music will breed copies which creates genres

Remember, the forms are eternal, but how we interpret them is not.

No.

All music can be put in these two categories: great and shit. Most music seems to be in between these two but ultimately it's always either great or shit.

Music without genre is mleccha.

I think it may be possible, but has yet to be accomplished.

Interesting question.

Bach was integral in creating what we judge as music. He used the church modes as part of his style/basis(Ionian, Locrian, etc.). Indians(don't know if it was Aryans or those darker folk to the south) take notes(A, B, C, D, E, F, G) and divide them into fourths, unlike Bach who divided them into halves. If you're trained from a young age to discern between A 1/2 step and A 1/4 step, then you must have a distinct taste for sound that is different for us Bach's sound descendants. Then besides actual sound, there is the point of measuring and ordering that sound. Humans may evolve a thousand years from now and be able to hear higher or lower frequencies, and thus different pitches, but we also have infinite ways to place these sounds into structure. The organization of sound produces a mood. Major chords are bright and gleeful and minor chords are softer and conflicted. Genres seem to be defined by common instrumentation or perhaps philosophy(theme). I like to think that music evolves with humans. When next we reach a higher perception of things, new moods will flourish.

You can try the band Foetus; the work he's done is fairly hard to classify and much of it is a coherent clusterfuck of different genres that don't form anything resembling other music.

"Genre" is an abstraction, as such it only really tells you about similarities in music.  What matters is that it is music, and not, say, garbage like Merzbow.  Writing music with a guitar and saying, "I'm going to record X genre" is mostly pointless limitation.  Especially, ESPECIALLY, since metal is so stagnant now nothing of worth is being written.