Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What has metal taught you?

Re: What has metal taught you?
October 12, 2010, 02:21:48 PM
it's funny you say that jim. I catch my mind wandering sometimes when I'm listening to music. usually makes me miss the part of the song I was waiting for (guitar solo etc) and then I have to rewind and pay more attention.

metal has comforted me through some rough times and been there for good times as well. it is a big part of me (both metal and horror movies).
to me the true essence of what metal is all about, is freedom and rebellion. I live freedom and rebellion as I have always been very defiant of society, usually not by choice though. things just worked out that way. it's not my fault the world around me pisses me off to no end. my non conformity is by sheer default, honestly. sometimes it can be an escape for me, take my mind off things. a lot of my heroes (dudes in bands) have set an example for me to persevere and that true strength comes from the will not the muscles.

October 21, 2010, 12:08:16 AM
Metal has taught me to be true to myself. In a world of poseurs, and mainstream "metal", I have learned to refuse trends, and lead my own life. Metal has also taught me unconventional thinking. Whether it be the jazz innuendo's found in Atheist, or the face melting solo's of Morbid Saint, metal bands are always doing something different. A quality not so readily found in most of today's music. Sad, but true.

October 21, 2010, 01:03:23 AM
Metal has taught me that I am not alone. The disgust I feel toward the mundane and wasteful beings around me is not unique to me. This has given me strength and lent me patience.

Also, I got into Kraftwerk due to the DLA's neoclassical section. Like Jim, I would most likely have dismissed them were it not for my interest in metal.

October 21, 2010, 02:30:20 AM
I'm not sure what Metal has taught me.  I'm very aware of what Metal says to me, at this moment in time: stand tall, and stand firm; improve yourself, and those around you; always look ahead and above; never regress.

November 10, 2010, 12:36:25 PM
To keep going and never ever give up on my principles and views even if the entire universe is against me  2. To express my anger and rage instead of suppressing it. 3. To level all those who mess without reason with me

November 16, 2010, 07:49:09 AM
A greater appreciation for structure and beauty. And it's calming, not physiologically (Incantation!) but intellectually. Years ago I'd listen to metal and rage about petty bullshit and get my 'hurr so tough' on. But the structure! The rising and falling of interconnected disparities together communicating subjects alien to the individual components. A great widening of perceptual scope- considering things as workings of a greater structure rather than things unto themselves, the emergent Lissajous fractals of their interaction are fucking breathtaking. Metal taught me how awesome life is.