Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Lost aspects of Hessian culture?

Lost aspects of Hessian culture?
May 20, 2006, 03:57:40 AM
I'm going to conform to the general direction calling a metalhead a Hessian as I really do like the word Hessian better than "metalhead". Metalhead almost sounds perjorative. Hessian reminds me of amoral dudes from Prussia killing a bunch of Englishmen for fun and profit.

So, I read in the Metal FAQ that use of amphetamines was common back in the day, in Hessian culture. Maybe its regional, but the Hessians around here generally just smoke cannabis and sometimes dabble in psychedelics. I'm wondering, did the author mean methamphetamine or less hardcore amphetamines? Meth is WAY harder than regular speed and is typically used by people whom I call the "truly fucked": trailer park types on welfare whose women screw strangers without condoms and have a growing piles of miscarriages laying next to their bathtubs, which are corroded from having too many toxic meth lab byproducts poured down it. In other words, fmp666.com forum posters.

Then there's this whole thing about Hessians who are skaters? I've seen relatively few high-school age Hessians who skate, was this mostly a part of the thrash scene, or were there death metal and speed metal fans who skated?  Was this just a product of the hardcore scene mingling with the metal scene that didn't last?

And the blinkie hunting thing. Was this something a lot of teenage metalheads did in Texas? Did Hessians do this anywhere else? (Fieldmouse seems to have done this independently of knowing about that text file. Hmm...) I get the impression that a section of the Texas metal scene is influenced quite a bit by ANUS, and I personally think that if enough of the people who are from what I suspect to be an ANUS-influenced part of the Texas scene could possibly have the greatest potential to be the next generation of metalheads to make excellent music.

Mr. Prozak also mentioned hacking. I personally have an interest in this, as I love to fool around with low-level software stuff like assembly language, C, and I've been learning about exploits like buffer overruns and network security recently. I actually like being an unemployed parents' basement dweller because I have time to study intricate subjects that even most people who are programmers don't understand, just sit down and read an entire book on my porch all day any time I want, and stuff like that. I believe that nihilistic ideas, hacking and metal appeal to a certain type of  people with similar personalities, sort of grandiose, alienated people perhaps with self-esteem problems, but with a keen sense of the way reality actually IS, who are good at lateral thinking, who are bored by most mundane pleasures (ie, the ones you buy at the store or see at the theater). Old BBS text files related to hacking I've read often have authors who have very metal sounding pseudonyms. Dig zine, a damn good hacker zine which favors quality over quantity and seems to have some ANUS ties. There is also an awesome manifesto by the person known as Goat, presumably the KCUF guy, which is an elitist, very well thought out, and excellently written piece about how hackers basically are the computer users without limits, who go beyond artificial limits like laws, which are in place to control those who can't handle such power because they're, well, not the intellectual elite of computing. The piece ends with some text from this very site, and very obviously applies the principles of this site to hacking. I'll link to it later. If you have any interest in hacking at all, I recommend Dig zine.

Of course, then there's Norwegian and Swedish black metal, which is a bit different, briefly adding remorseless murder, church burning, elitism, nationalism, misanthropy, paganism, and an emotionally detached, casual view of death and suffering to the list of things associated with metal culture.

What are some things that Hessians could do for recreation which may appeal to nihilists, and preferably aren't destructive to nature, and maybe have some value outside of satisfying one's desire to have fun? Are you a Hessian? Do you do certain things with other Hessians that normals don't like and you feel is a worthy thing to do? If so, explain! If metal is just about the music, that's all its going to be about: the music. It needs shared values, and people with similar values enjoy doing similar things. Metal carries with it an attitude that appeals to certain types of people, and if Hessians don't do other things with each other besides going to concerts, smoking cannabis, and drinking beer, you have a subculture that people devote a hell of a lot of their life to which just makes recombinent music without essence, and the people don't have to share common bonds, ideas, and such, they just have to project an image of being a metalhead. What I'm sort of saying here is that I think maybe metal lost a lot of what made it unique. I think that if metal culture had many more aspects than just the music, and these consisted of doing things that normals don't like to do, it could be far healthier, as the normals wouldn't feel like they belong in it, and they would be laughed at. Thus, there would be a section of metal with no normals in it, who form bands, etc. Anyone can enjoy listening to watered down metal music, drink, and smoke dope.   Which is what most metalheads do with each other. Drinking and smoking dope can have their place, but metal if that's all metalheads do socially, then you're just like a bunch of fucking rock fans, no? You're a sexually frustrated normal guy trying to be cool. Jogging suit. Put it on. Now. And don't forget your iPod.

Want to fix metal? Maybe it needs to start socially. Make it something that normals won't want anything to do with. The Norwegians tried to do this, and ultimately failed. Did they fail because they were immature and got in way over their heads into extremely dangerous things, got caught, and thus couldn't forcibly exclude the masses (or lost the will to)? Or is it perhaps impossible to keep the crowd out in this world?

Re: Lost aspects of Hessian culture?
May 20, 2006, 12:26:55 PM
Everyone finds things of value in this world. It looks like you have done just this with your programming skills.

The one thing everyone needs in life is balance.

Confining yourself to your basement and typing in front of a computer all day is not a balanced existence. And most importantly, it sounds like it's being done out of spite.  

Maybe i'm way off the mark here, but natural/human interaction is a fundamental need for us all.

May 20, 2006, 03:04:16 PM
Or is it perhaps impossible to keep the crowd out in this world?

You know, this made me think, it really is too bad that murder's illegal now. I seem to recall certain Germanic tribes having a concept called weregild. You could basically just go up to some guy you don't like and kill him, as long as you paid his family for the lost work (the weregild). I don't think they even had a concept of justifiable homicide. You could just plain kill people. I thought the idea of paying the family kind of sucked, but these were small communities, so killing off the head of the household might endanger everyone if he's the best farmer in the area...

Anyways, it would RULE if you could just keep idiots away from metal by shooting anyone wearing a Pantera T-shirt.

Ergriefer

May 20, 2006, 03:13:21 PM
yeah, shows can be fun, but they can also be intolerably lame.   and you never know until you're there, so you can't ask for your $8 back.

here's a thought: why is it that whenever somebody says that their life consists mainly of loafing about in solitude (my dream in life), or sitting in front of a computer (we're all guilty of this), somebody has to interject that it's unhealthy or imbalanced?  

what's up with this notion that human interaction has inherent value?  my belief is that certain people and relationships have value, which brings substance and weight to your interactions with them.  but as for the rest of the world, i could care less.  why would i want to interact with people whom i share no interests, who might as well be from different worlds than me?

we all spend a lot of time in front of computers these days.  they're like the new TV, but arguably better.  that said, this guy is hardly living in Walden-type isolation.  so what gives?

not trying to attack or anything, just interested in what people would have to say about this matter.

May 20, 2006, 03:39:04 PM

You know, this made me think, it really is too bad that murder's illegal now. I seem to recall certain Germanic tribes having a concept called weregild. You could basically just go up to some guy you don't like and kill him, as long as you paid his family for the lost work (the weregild)

Of course, in those kind of societies, if you did that, you were likely to end up being killed by the family of the person you killed, even if you paid the wergild.

May 20, 2006, 05:00:15 PM

Of course, in those kind of societies, if you did that, you were likely to end up being killed by the family of the person you killed, even if you paid the wergild.

What if you killed the rest of his family? Isn't that how feuds are prevented? You round up your family, then go in and kill the guy and everyone in his family. If you lose, well, you lost fair and square. If you didn't, problem solved. Of course, good luck making any friends. In fact, people will probably try to stop your carnage, but then you just have to win against everyone who tries to off you. Would suck if someone just shot an arrow that hit you out of no where though. At any rate, why start something over some asshole you don't like, unless he raped your sister or something?

It'd probably be more beneficial to burn down a church and sodomize and decapitate a missionary instead. I mean, how are you going to off ANY enemies if some asshole preacher from some land you've never even heard of is spreading some insane bullshit about killing people being wrong and how your entire way of life is incorrect? FUCK THAT GUY!

Mr. Pantera fan's family though, they're probably timid Christians. They'd probably just cry or something.

By the way, if you DID kill some guy's entire family, who would you pay the weregild? Their livestock? The guy's drinking buddy?

May 21, 2006, 08:52:07 AM
I can only really be certain about how feuding worked in Medieval Iceland, but it generally took a few rounds of killings on each side of the disagreement before it escalated to such a level, and when it did it rarely led to one side completely annihilating the other side. There would generally always be someone left to take vengeance, since there would be relatives who lived elsewhere. Peoples' friends also often ended up taking vengeance for them as well. If you DID manage to make it so that after your killings there was nobody at all with a grievance against you, then you probably wouldn't have to pay weregild at all, although this would be impossible except in the case of extremely isolated individuals with no friends or family.

May 22, 2006, 07:54:46 PM
"What are some things that Hessians could do for recreation which may appeal to nihilists"

Well I climb mountains and generally spend a lot of my time in the wilderness.  Anybody in Western Washington into this stuff?  Like to organize a Hessian outdoors club of some sort?  Although this would be immensely enjoyable, there are what, 3 of us in Washington?...  Can always dream I guess.

Then there's the fact that lots "normals" enjoy outdoor sports, but most of them are merely weekend warrior tourons anyway.  It's not difficult for the more focussed among us to hike farther, climb higher, explore deeper, etc.  If anyone's interested, there's actually a bit of a nihilist undercurrent to the North American extreme alpinism scene.  If you ever see it, pick up Mark Twight's "Kiss or Kill."  Very entertaining reading.

I like this topic by the way.  There's a fine line between legitimate metal (Hessian) culture and just a bunch of societal rejects sitting around doing effectively nothing.  I think the original post covered this distinction well.

aimanirrajim

May 25, 2006, 11:00:18 PM
Things to do for fun?

I mow lawns. Gets me outside, I make enough to buy CD's, and its equal to sometimes a 3 mile walk pushing  the mower.

I write music and play guitar and oboe. I like to create things, and music is the most emotionally impactful creative medium for me.

I recently planted a small garden. Gets me outside, plus I get homegrown veggies and fruits.

I fish. I don't eat them, as I have no need; I throw them back. But I'm damn good at catching them, and if food ever does become scarce in my lifetime, just one more skill that will make me more likely to survive (gardening too).

I (used to, until very recently: the limbs are splitting, in the market for a new weapon) shoot my bow. Physically straining (65 pound draw weight), emtionally investing, gets me outside, sharpens my mind and coordination. Also a skill I could use if I ever had the need to kill something or someone. It's also tremendously satisfying getting bullseyes with a wooden recurve knowing all the pussy olympic shooters need high tec equipment to do so.

I ride my bike/walk around in the woods. Physically straining, gets me outside, I get to explore my town.

I fuck around with people. Being weird and messing with people's heads is tremendously satisfying. I have no social life because of it, but high school is a lost cause anyway.

I'm currently realizing that I need more fun activities that harm the society I hate. I am trying to learn basic website hacking skills, and blinky running in towns I dislike sounds like a good one as soon as I secure a drivers license (probably one of a only a handful of things I'll use a car for).

very impressive! good for you

May 26, 2006, 06:02:41 AM
Blinky Running? Forgive me for being an ignorant Mississippi cur, but point the link out so I don't have to wonder?

May 30, 2006, 01:56:46 PM
My big discoveries of the day :
1.) Metalheads are also known as Hessians.
2.) Blinky running.

I hope drinking and smoking pot aren't the only things Hessians can do socially. I'd never learn anything, cause they'd probably notice that I wasn't drinking and smoking pot and make me go away. I was afraid that might be the case, so it's good hearing about the other things you guys are into.

June 03, 2006, 12:46:13 AM

http://anus.com/etc/text/

Ah, I thought it might have had something to do with hacking, like cracking a suburbanite's wireless encryption from a moving car or something.

Sounds fun. 'Round here we steal road cones. And put mannequins in the drivers seats of bulldozers.  

June 03, 2006, 01:17:48 AM
I hope drinking and smoking pot aren't the only things Hessians can do socially. I'd never learn anything, cause they'd probably notice that I wasn't drinking and smoking pot and make me go away. I was afraid that might be the case, so it's good hearing about the other things you guys are into.

That sounds pretty biased toward others. An inclusive society would make room for Hessian holidays and college credit in metalhead studies.

July 03, 2006, 01:13:26 AM
That sounds pretty biased toward others. An inclusive society would make room for Hessian holidays and college credit in metalhead studies.

There's a lot to Hessian culture, and while its recreational activities tend to be hedonistic, this is part of a larger principle of affirming joy in life over duty to non-life-like things (Jesus).

HESSIANS UNITE