Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Lost aspects of Hessian culture?

Re: Lost aspects of Hessian culture?
August 14, 2006, 01:55:52 AM
What's most lost in Hessian culture was the sense of being serious while having fun, and of being both "individualistic" and capable of banding together and doing things.

There's a difference between people who just listen to metal and hessians. All sorts of idiots go buy the CDs and listen to them. Only a few take them to heart.

What's missing most at this point in Hessian culture is culture. We've been replaced by the "black hardcore" people with their soundalike bands in the underground, and by mainstream heavy metal with black metal trimmings life COF and DB aboveground.

The solution is for more people to become cynical about the quality of music now and only support the few good bands. Unfortunately, they're all too selfish and weak to do that because they crave the identity as a metalhead thus will spend thousands of dollars and perhaps years of their lives chasing around after little plastic discs of negligible artistic value.

Then again, at this point in humanity's history, 98% of its population is not only dumb but clueless and without grace, so this isn't exactly radiantly different. Metalheads are people like any others.

August 15, 2006, 11:34:01 PM
I'm finding that heavy metal culture needs to remove its sandaldude-xtian moralizing. Long before leftist emo/nu-metal, metalheads were made of sterner stuff. Lose the social issues and moralizing, regain power ideals.

http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252376

August 16, 2006, 12:25:38 AM

What would He have done?

August 16, 2006, 03:02:33 AM
I'm finding that heavy metal culture needs to remove its sandaldude-xtian moralizing. Long before leftist emo/nu-metal, metalheads were made of sterner stuff. Lose the social issues and moralizing, regain power ideals.

Absolutely! The Metal-with-a-(social)conscience phenomenon sickens me. Even back "when," the Nuclear Assault/Anthrax/Megadeth, Punkish  whining about inequality and espousal of rank egalitarianism irritated me endlessly(probably why I gravitated toward the darker material musically and ideologically). I see self-professed Black Metal-heads on other boards who are nothing more than bleeding-heart college kids who bemoan every alleged social-ill and humanitarian "crisis" on earth. Such emotionalism is hideously out of step with the Ubermensch philosophies of classic BM and DM.
When I was a teen in the eighties, we Metalheads/Hessians were indeed made of sterner stuff(perhaps necessarily so). Over the years this emo-leftist-humanitarianism has fouled the Metal waters in a disturbing way.
Any collective Hessian 'culture' must unapologetiacally reject such mainstream, compassionate nonsense...at one time I thought that's what we were all about.

August 16, 2006, 03:48:28 AM
What's missing?

I think for many metalheads, even quite a few productive Hessians, joy is profoundly absent from life.  The embrace of negativity becomes all-consuming and deconstruction becomes simple destruction with no rebirth.  The greats, Immortal, Summoning, Burzum, Graveland etc. have always moved me in part because of the joy they find in embracing the possibilities inherent in both death and life.  They transmute the sorrow of death, decay, defeat and loss into hope, joy, life and victory.  They had a whimsical playfulness that is missing in many Hessians, who seem most at ease behind a serious scowl, casting judgment on a universe that hasn't lived up to their exacting standards.

August 16, 2006, 06:01:59 AM
Intersting...those same darkly whimsical, nature-affirming aspects were what once drew me into Satanism...not because I could be so "evil" no one could stand me - but because I enjoyed a sense of self-superiority just by virtue of knowing something the sheep did not...and "daring" to challenge the life-haters. I take whatever joy I can from my life experience without apology...being miserable for the sake of it does not appeal to me in any way.
I guess I am a lapsed-Misanthrope!!

September 23, 2006, 08:54:47 AM
The Metal-with-a-(social)conscience phenomenon sickens me. Even back "when," the Nuclear Assault/Anthrax/Megadeth, Punkish  whining about inequality and espousal of rank egalitarianism irritated me endlessly(probably why I gravitated toward the darker material musically and ideologically).

They make art into obligation. "Feel guilty." I'm an anti-Racist but I don't think I'd ever write some moronic song like "Fuck Racism." That's just inane.

September 23, 2006, 09:03:30 AM

That thread is astounding. Aren't those people total armchair moralists? They sound exactly like the tedious old fucks you see pounding the stuffed arms of their recliners and walkers and saying, "God Damn It, this country went to the dogs when they took The Bible out of education!"

I like how one little brainstem has a link to "Free the West Memphis Three" but wants Vikernes to stay in jail. After all, he's a... murderer.