Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What metal makes you "raise your sword"?

Re: What metal makes you "raise your sword"?
November 19, 2010, 01:07:29 PM
Inter-tardation aside...

It occurred to me today that the rather unappreciated Raiders of Revenge is perfect music to raise one's sword to, or maybe your battle axe.

November 19, 2010, 02:01:11 PM
It's not important to fight for great art and ideas?  I thought that was what anus was all about.

I think there's a difference between fighting for great art and ideas and fighting to prove how much of an idiot everyone who disagrees with you is, and how much of a genius you are for supporting whatever it is you support.

November 20, 2010, 02:56:23 PM
The song "Verdelet" by "Akercocke" ; from the album "Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone".

November 27, 2010, 09:08:57 AM
Integrity - "Those Who Fear Tomorrow"
Cro Mags - "Age of Quarrel"

November 27, 2010, 12:50:20 PM

Both are good albums, but....sword raising music? I wouldn't expect these albums to evoke those types of feelings.

November 28, 2010, 08:54:48 AM

Both are good albums, but....sword raising music? I wouldn't expect these albums to evoke those types of feelings.

For me they do.  Coming from a suburban American background, the idea of "raising a sword" is a somewhat alien idea.  If we're talking in a more literal sense, I would go with bands like Graveland, later Bathory, or Isengard even.  But when I think of what coheres to my upbringing and what currently makes sense to me, Cro-Mags and Integrity conjure up those feelings of fighting and defiance in a manner that makes more consistent to me than those that sing of medieval combat.

November 28, 2010, 12:14:48 PM
A Hessian 'Eye Of The Tiger'-song? I'd put on this cheeseball but heroic song before climbing that mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg87U5bRO8A

November 29, 2010, 01:50:19 AM
serious or not, this  has to be read-

Strike While The Iron Is Hot
Steel Is Strongest So Say We All
And If We All Were Not Brothers Of Metal Would We Fall? - NO -
They Tried To Test Our Spirit
They Tasted Steel Before We Were Done
Grinding Their Bones Into The Dust Of The Past
All Blown Away Like A Shot From A Gun

We Cast Our Lot Together Four Still Stand As One
Here We'll Remain Forever Till Our Kingdoms Won

Brothers Of Metal
We Are Fighting With Power And Steel
Fighting For Metal Metal That's Real
Brothers Of Metal Will Always Be There
Standing Together With Hands In The Air

Let Us Drink To The Power Drink To The Sound
Thunder And Metal Are Shaking The Ground
Drink To Your Brothers Who Are Never To Fall
We're All Brothers Of Metal Here In The Hall

Our Hearts Are Filled With Metal And Masters We Have None
And We Will Die For Metal, Metal Heals My Soul

Brothers Of Metal
We Are Fighting With Power And Steel
Fighting For Metal Metal That's Real
Brothers Of Metal Will Always Be There
Standing Together With Hands In The Air

Let Us Drink To The Power Drink To The Sound
Thunder And Metal Are Shaking The Ground
Drink To Your Brothers Who Are Never To Fall
We're All Brothers Of Metal Here In The Hall

November 29, 2010, 10:26:52 AM

For me they do.  Coming from a suburban American background, the idea of "raising a sword" is a somewhat alien idea.  If we're talking in a more literal sense, I would go with bands like Graveland, later Bathory, or Isengard even.  But when I think of what coheres to my upbringing and what currently makes sense to me, Cro-Mags and Integrity conjure up those feelings of fighting and defiance in a manner that makes more consistent to me than those that sing of medieval combat.

Excellent point; I suppose I was thinking too literally of "sword raising". I come from the same background.

November 29, 2010, 08:37:47 PM

Excellent point; I suppose I was thinking too literally of "sword raising". I come from the same background.

I understand your sentiment, as I do enjoy those bands, but normally when I listen to music I am looking for some sort of experience that has eternal value, and thus is capable of imparting some sort of outside-in emotional reaction. I think that the metaphor of Medieval combat does a much better job at symbolizing the form of conflict and overcoming, and personally, if I was looking for a more realistic (I think directly applicable to personal experience would be a more apt description) experience in my music, I would read an essay or a pamphlet on the experience instead. I don't need music to remind me of my preferences and my emotions, I want it to make me feel something instead.

November 30, 2010, 01:03:29 PM

I understand your sentiment, as I do enjoy those bands, but normally when I listen to music I am looking for some sort of experience that has eternal value, and thus is capable of imparting some sort of outside-in emotional reaction. I think that the metaphor of Medieval combat does a much better job at symbolizing the form of conflict and overcoming, and personally, if I was looking for a more realistic (I think directly applicable to personal experience would be a more apt description) experience in my music, I would read an essay or a pamphlet on the experience instead. I don't need music to remind me of my preferences and my emotions, I want it to make me feel something instead.

I suppose I just find more value in music that presents me with reality-based struggle as opposed to anachronistic battlegrounds.  While I do appreciate the metaphor, it's more for the sense of story or the ideas imparted, rather than a sense of imminent conflict and visceral emotion, if that's what's meant by "sword-raising" music.

November 30, 2010, 01:21:49 PM
'Beneath The Remains' in its entirety always feels like a clarion call for me.

December 01, 2010, 09:02:52 PM
Beneath The Remains!!?? that album is an example of a band forgetting the concept of " RAISE YOUR SWORD ".

December 13, 2010, 09:37:07 PM
RAINBOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9nfVrusSMg (I think we all know where the album art of FAFTS came from...)

Or anything with Dio, really.

I normally don't like rock music, but this is damned brilliant! Never been much of a Dio fan either; this might convince me otherwise. I'm going to investigate this album immediately.