Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal improving in 2007

Annihilaytorr

Re: Metal improving in 2007
June 16, 2007, 11:21:14 AM

instead of aesthetically emulating the past to succeed, bands are now focusing inward on what the music expresses. This to my mind makes all of the difference.

Most of the examples listed thus far in this thread are washed up bands aesthetically emulating the past. How does this constitute improvement?

June 16, 2007, 12:58:38 PM

But because everyone can make their own mp3's very easily it creates a large dump of unwanted music on the scale that was not possible before digital technology and the internet. This swell suffocates any and all popular genres and retards growth.

Also with actual labels at least there is some level  of quality control, with mp3's and the internet there is no entrance bar.

Flip that over, without record labels you don't have a few money driven buisnessmen deciding what people should and shouldn't listen to. Now anyone can make their voices heard which means anything could happen. Granted there is a lot of shit out there, but the musical climate has become so varied and so changealbe that no one really knows what could happen anymore.

June 17, 2007, 08:26:51 AM

But because everyone can make their own mp3's very easily it creates a large dump of unwanted music on the scale that was not possible before digital technology and the internet. This swell suffocates any and all popular genres and retards growth.

Also with actual labels at least there is some level  of quality control, with mp3's and the internet there is no entrance bar.

I think you misunderstand me.

I was arguing my point as a means for genuine metal to grow, reach more fans etc, not from the perspective of an individual fan, who can, of course, buy the records officially if they want the superior sound quality

September 24, 2007, 01:54:04 PM
Flip that over, without record labels you don't have a few money driven buisnessmen deciding what people should and shouldn't listen to. Now anyone can make their voices heard which means anything could happen. Granted there is a lot of shit out there, but the musical climate has become so varied and so changealbe that no one really knows what could happen anymore.

Corporate dominance in the record industry was resisted mainly because it insisted that music be widely popular to make money. Now anyone can make music, and the quality has declined even more. Corporate rock was actually better than what we have now.

But I wonder how long rock music could last anyway, or hip-hop for that matter. There's not much to the style and it attracts idiots, so after awhile, it is a cash machine for cynical people to manipulate idiots for their money. No one with any real power acts like that.

September 27, 2007, 02:43:50 PM
I can't tell if the poster of this topic was being facetious or if he's being serious. Aside from Marduk's newest, which managed to not suck, and Immolation, whose album was decent, those albums sucked.

September 27, 2007, 03:13:32 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating, given that Schumann's message is even more relevant within this context of this thread.

Simply replace the artists and musical forms of his time with those of our time and I think you'll see that the world of music has changed little from the one that Schumann describes:

"It is true that of late we have had but few orchestral works of consequence; and those few have interested us rather as illustrations of their composers' progress, than for their art or as creations of decided influence on the general public. Most of the others have merely been pale reflections of Beethoven; not to forget those tiresome manufacturers of symphonies who recall the powder and perukes of Mozart and Haydn, but not the heads that wore them."

September 29, 2007, 05:30:34 AM
People replicating form, and not content.

People worrying about the sanctity of human form, and not the quality of humans.

People chasing means (money, power, popularity) and not ends (greatness).

A confusion of visual aspect with structure?

July 20, 2015, 05:11:04 AM
Metal has been improving since 2007, but the problem is that anything of quality is limited to hobbyist level.