Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why all movies are shallow entertainment

Re: Why all movies are shallow entertainment
February 27, 2011, 02:09:16 PM
Kurosawa films are generally top-notch, and are certainly not "shallow entertainment".

February 27, 2011, 02:44:55 PM
If you want to get back at someone who wronged you, or ruin someone's week, show them A Serbian Film .

It left me dumbfounded, anyway.

Man you have bad taste in movies. Were you really shocked by that incredibly fake looking baby-rape scene? Halfway the movie it becomes disturbing, true. But it completely fucks up at the end by turning into slapstick. In the last 15-20 minutes of the movie there's not one but TWO people who get murdered by a penis. That movie is crap. For real shocker stick with Cannibal Holocaust or Man Behind The Sun, at least one can pretend those movies have a message. A Serbian Film looked like someone spent a week on 4chan and thought "oh I'm sure today's kids will love this"

It wasn't the gore (and the baby rape scene was pretty ridiculous by the way) that drew me to this film. As I'm sure you know there exist actual snuff films; I've always been fascinated by them (though I wouldn't watch much of them or consider myself an enthusiast), and the bounds of what people consider to be acceptable art. Through this fascination I was drawn to this movie.

I thought the whole dick-through-the-eye death was fitting. If I was that well endowed you can bet I'd go around spreading righteous fury with the aid of my member. The ending scene where the director just says, "OK. Start with the little one." was just delivered so chilling that I thought it brought it home well.

What movies do you enjoy, since you think most of them are shit? I'm not being malicious here; I'd just like to get your view.

Try to find a copy of Ex-Drummer with English subtitles. I think you'll like it. It's about a writer (overman) who meets a bunch of musicians (undermen) and decides to team up with them to so he can get inspiration for a new novel by spending time with the lower classes. The movie has lots of indie music you might not like (neither did I but the music certainly fit the band, they play a fitting cover of Devo's Mongoloid) The movie is based a novel by Belgian writer Herman Brusselmans who looks like he visits this forum too.

I don't want this to turn into a thread where people recommend lists of crappy movies without introductions so good luck trying to find this Flemish movie. There's probably some torrents floating around and you might be able to find subtitles for it.

I'd say the movie is a good mix between art and entertainment. But try to avoid the dubbed versions.

February 27, 2011, 08:19:41 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the recommendation, Umbrage. I don't mind some Devo, actually. I'll look for that film soon and let you know what I think.

March 07, 2011, 04:49:48 AM
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201102/the-day-the-movies-died-mark-harris?currentPage=all

An insightful article on why our circenses are so much worse than yesteryear's ones.

March 08, 2011, 09:21:43 AM
Umbrage, for the life of me, I can't find a decent rip of that Ex Drummer movie in English. (I found one in Flemish, strangely enough) Any suggestions?

March 08, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
It's a Flemish film.  I found a subtitled version, and watched that.t