Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

"Sprezzatura"- effortless art of mastery

"Sprezzatura"- effortless art of mastery
June 23, 2007, 05:52:20 PM
"The meaning of sprezzatura in art and life in the High Renaissance is difficult to determine. Part of the trouble stems from the contradictions inherent in the word itself; it is paradoxical, closely related to grace, but with slightly different connotations. Castiglione's Book of the Courtier elaborated on what the word meant for social interaction. A character in the book, Count Ludovico, explains the meaning of grace, and in it he mentions sprezzatura. "It is an art which does not seem to be an art. One must avoid affectation and practice in all things a certain sprezzatura, disdain or carelessness, so as to conceal art, and make whatever is done or said appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it....obvious effort is the antithesis of grace." The most important aspect of sprezzatura is its two-layered nature: it involves a conscious effort which is disguised by a concealing act. Things which require effort are to be performed casually. Count Ludovico seems to be saying that grace arises out of sprezzatura. Anthony Blunt interprets it this way: "It will vanish if a man takes too much pains to attain it, or if he shows any effort to attain it. Nothing but complete ease can produce it. The only effort which should be expended in attaining it is an effort to conceal the skill on which it is based; and it is from sprezzatura, or recklessness, that grace springs." In High Renaissance life, the courtiers wanted to put on a kind of performance, a subtle one, without allowing anyone to know it was self-conscious and deliberate behavior. "

I thought I would bring this subject into play because, for as long as I have posted here(I have made my valiant return to ANUS after a 3 year hiatus), I have never seen a topic discussing this issue. Being Italian, I embody this in my being. But it is sorely lacking in this days in which, as all of you know, music has became entertainment, a useless creature which sucks our identities dry.

I only can attest to this view of what art means to me. But how does this view fit in to the whole that embodies art?

Metal is a force which brings out our best attributes, our strength, our hope. With this I add the Italian style which is my very being. What I hope you will add to this, is to discuss whether or not this matters, and if you are from a different country, how do you apply yourself to the art?

Re: "Sprezzatura"- effortless art of mas
June 24, 2007, 06:00:28 AM
I do not make metal music but I am making programmed music on my computer. I don't know how it is for anyone else, but creating anything in music for me is difficult. A good tune, a communicative structure, a good sound and aesthetic, all pain me to create. It's something from nothing, and it's worth rests completely on your own talent in creating it. I don't want to settle for anything worse than I can envision, but inevitably things start to get lost when I transfer my thoughts into the real, tangible, world.

I guess "Sprezzatura" is just one way of creating art out of many. As Dimmu Borgir (fuck you) said, "All great art is made from suffering". Maybe not all, but at least a large percentage of it is created with, or inspired by, human suffering and struggle.

I guess you also have to be very good as a practitioner of your art to employ it, which means you need to practice (struggle) to get that good.

June 24, 2007, 08:39:11 AM
Art is simultaneously concealing and revealing--and in so being, simulates the role of nature. The latter, then, may appear to man much as does a woman: she tests his will and ability to penetrate and understand the most hidden secrets of her mind. As woman was fashioned from man, so it may be said that the artist becomes espoused to that which is begotten of his virility.

June 24, 2007, 10:58:49 AM
As woman was fashioned from man

? Explain..

June 24, 2007, 01:03:41 PM
That was a biblical allusion. Here man and woman are symbols for the ontological and phenomenal realms; the latter procedes from the former.

June 24, 2007, 05:11:26 PM
Grace, vir, Zen and sprezzatura. Aren't these four plants from the same root?

June 24, 2007, 06:12:35 PM
I would believe that to be correct.

June 26, 2007, 03:59:01 PM
But these are unpopular, because in our time we focus on adapting to the will of others, and making ourselves materially comfortable together? Because these plants from the same root require reaching beyond the form factor of ourselves?

July 10, 2007, 06:33:01 AM
To my mind, sprezzatura is that state of mental clarity where you've overcome duality. You're not hating, or loving, but doing what is logical. Very few humans attain this.

July 10, 2007, 08:15:36 AM
Obtaining mental clarity is a rare quality we have these days. I have applied sprezzatura in my music with full affect. If I can, I would like to get some of  my demos recorded (lost ALL demos on my old computer). Nothing new or amazing, but without a doubt I applied mental clarity, and feeling all into one.

September 24, 2007, 01:51:58 PM
If you keep making music, you'll never get worse (unless you sell out).

What I like about your definition is the "effortless" part. If you clean up your mind, and focus on the task, it really does happen easily and the result is much better than in any other case.

Zen Buddhists want to live that way, but I don't know how well you can force it, because it seems their creativity strangles itself.

October 11, 2007, 05:36:35 PM
the closest english translation of sprezzatura is "cool".

like Jimmy Dean cool.