Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Gifted children enjoy heavy metal

Gifted children enjoy heavy metal
March 22, 2007, 01:40:59 PM
Intelligent teenagers often listen to heavy metal music to cope with the pressures associated with being talented, according to research.

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people will come as relief to parents whose offspring, usually long-haired, are devotees of Iron Maiden, AC/DC and their musical descendants.

Heavy metal 'a comfort for the bright child'

You might want to post to this thread on Slashdot.org, where people who don't know underground metal attempt to discuss it. One of our infoterror operatives already set them straight. Also, this post on metal ideology was insightful.

This article will be read by 600,000 people in the next 48 hours. It's free to register and takes 3 minutes. Go for it!

Myrrdin

Re: Gifted children enjoy heavy metal
March 23, 2007, 02:34:49 AM
Can metal really be said to be "angry"?  Is there an empirical way to determine the emotional content of something as subjective as music?

Essentially, Yes it can. Asking thousands of people to listen to different pieces of music and then asking them to offer maybe ten adjectives that would describe the music would, I'm sure, give this result.  

If there were no way of predicting emotional reaction to music we would as likely see the Beastie Boys featured at the end of Platoon as Adagio For Strings. And I think most people listening to metal would respond that it had Anger in its sound.  (Though experienced Metallers may be able to elaborate and distinguish between eg: "heroic" or "doom-laden" elements of the sound).

March 24, 2007, 05:51:39 AM
I'd like to point out that this proves nothing of the metal community as a whole.  I understand that a lot of metal fans are intelligent, and it only makes sense.  You would have to believe that intelligent people would need music more complicated and deep that people who can't tell when the same beat is used for every song in their favorite genre.  But this research shows that some intelligent teenagers like metal, NOT that people who listen to metal are intelligent.  Just in before you all get hard-ons about how this makes you a genius by association.  That isn't very necessary for most of the users here, because a lot of you guys seem pretty bright.

Also, they obviously don't have great knowledge of metal, because most "researchers" have a predestined result and just adjust their test accordingly.  They included AC/DC in the metal category, which screams "I wanted this to come out how it did" to me.  Also, if the kids gave their answers by genre, theres a huge possibility that they gave misleading answers.

Azazel

March 24, 2007, 07:27:17 AM
They included AC/DC in the metal category, which screams "I wanted this to come out how it did" to me.

This was just mentioned in the opening paragraph as a generalization, I didn't see any mention of it associated with those surveyed. Judging by the bands mentioned, both researchers and those surveyed had no real idea of "intelligent" metal, not that some bands mentioned are not relatively intelligent themselves. Apart from that I agree with everything you say.

Myrrdin

March 24, 2007, 08:34:18 AM
Hmm, number-crunch this article and it says something different (who'd have guessed?)...

The researchers surveyed 1,057 members of... the top five per cent academically in the 11-19 age range.

Asked for their favourite type of music, Six per cent said heavy metal

So: of the top 5% [5/100] of academic over-achievers, 6% [6/100] choose to listen to heavy metal?
The "Intelligent metalhead" archetype is as common as, ooh, 0.3% of all youths then?

...NEWS!

March 24, 2007, 09:13:18 AM
AC/DC and Slipknot are mentioned in the article but there lyrics are some of the dumbest stuff you'll ever find...

March 24, 2007, 12:37:08 PM
i think Prozak would have scored 150 when he was a teen :D

March 24, 2007, 02:18:41 PM
Hmm, number-crunch this article and it says something different (who'd have guessed?)...

So: of the top 5% [5/100] of academic over-achievers, 6% [6/100] choose to listen to heavy metal?
The "Intelligent metalhead" archetype is as common as, ooh, 0.3% of all youths then?

...NEWS!

The article does seem abit halfarsed, I mean, if it included a comparison to the number of people who listen to metal in other acedemic ranges, it would actually have been slightly useful, but as it stands we just have 6% of "smart people" listen to "metal". Wow. Would be interesting to see where actual metalheads rank, as opposed to angry Slipnot fans.

March 24, 2007, 03:48:44 PM
Nobody's going to both sifting through the 600 comments already there. Don't waste time with idiots.

Why are you actively encouraging others from doing something positive? People did sift through all of those 600 comments, and continue to do so. Also, search engines make it easier to find our content.

It seems to me that people fall into two groups on the issue of "doing something": those who do and those who make excuses. Tell me which group you think claims you.

March 24, 2007, 03:50:32 PM
I'd like to point out that this proves nothing of the metal community as a whole.

Back to reality, this is a way of furthering the metal agenda. "Truth" in media doesn't exist. It's about who pays for what, and who gets in there and actually works to promote their ideas. As far as I can tell, none of you in this thread did... why? Afraid? I cannot fathom that mindset.

In my experience, many intelligent people are drawn to metal... but they're also withdrawn from society, mostly from fear. Yes, society is fucked up and headed to doom, but no, it's not certain yet, and yes, your work and even your voices count in averting that future and changing our current lot to a better one. Don't bend over and wait for them to sodomize you -- go out swinging (fists)!

March 25, 2007, 06:22:55 PM
New headline: Metalheads too busy bickering, making excuses to capitalize on favorable press.

Total social dysfunction. I don't see any of these people here "doing" anything for metal any time soon. In contrast to the people I know who do get things done, that's both pathetic and probably obvious. They have something going on. The rest of you... have keyboards and broadband, and that's about it.

March 26, 2007, 02:07:21 PM

You didn't read correctly:

The results of a study of more than 1,000 of the brightest five per cent of young people

It's not 5% of the top group, but the top 5% -- the highest scorers, the 1/20 who do something impressive.

Six per cent said heavy metal and a third rated it in their top five genres.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/03/21/nmetal21.xml

You totally misread that article. I think you owe the group an apology for attempting to sabotage something more important than your whiny, teen-angst-y bitching.

March 26, 2007, 02:38:59 PM
It's still 6% of the top 5 percent, that doesn't change. And they will probably do nothing more than contribute to society's problems when they get tired of Slipknot and decide to use their "big brains" to create a more material planet. Being so taken up on this is like a drowning man clutching at straws.

March 26, 2007, 03:04:00 PM
It's still 6% of the top 5 percent, that doesn't change. And they will probably do nothing more than contribute to society's problems when they get tired of Slipknot and decide to use their "big brains" to create a more material planet. Being so taken up on this is like a drowning man clutching at straws.

Keep making excuses. 33+% put it in their top five genres, and six percent listen exclusively, which when you see how small the numbers are for most genres, is impressive. You're just afraid that if there's a cause to fight for, you'll have to stop being a coward.

March 27, 2007, 02:23:33 PM
I put in a post about how punk rock sold out and metal didn't. That's fucking cool that metal made it to slashdot. Anytime a story makes front page on slashdot, so many people visit the link it shuts major news sites down. That's a big time hit for metal. I wonder why more people from the metal side didn't participate.