Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

More fuel for the Venom argument

Divus_de_Mortuus

Re: More fuel for the Venom argument
July 14, 2007, 04:07:25 PM
There is not that much difference between Venom and many of those other first wave bands, apart from the fact that Venom retains more of a rock mentality due to the fact they were a product of the late 70's NWOBHM. But at the end of the day, In the Sign of Evil or the self titled Bathory isn't all that different from At War With Satan.

I would rather listen to Motorhead, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Sodom, Hellhammer or those ancient Bathory albums than most anything released these days.

July 16, 2007, 03:50:18 PM
But at the end of the day, In the Sign of Evil or the self titled Bathory isn't all that different from At War With Satan.

And Ditto "At War With Satan" compared to "The Ace of Spades."

GS

September 11, 2007, 12:37:29 PM
I've lost track of the many directions this conversation has gone, but I'm going through some junk at the moment and thought this might be worth sharing :P

From Leather N' Spikes #8 2003 (?)

September 12, 2007, 04:42:17 AM
Venom is pure shit - plain and simple.

September 12, 2007, 08:02:14 AM
This is not to be taken seriously, Tom Warrior later admitted Hellhammer sounded a lot like Venom and that is was on purpose, he was a fan of the band at the time. I read that in his book a couple of years ago, "Into The Pandemonium", correct me if I'm wrong.

October 11, 2007, 08:52:12 AM

While at times they do seem to use almost classical themes Iím sure there would be a composer much closer then Bach. Although his works like the well tempered clavier and his inventions and preludes do hint at the melodies contained within songs like dead skin mask and south of heaven I think Mozart is a better match then Bach.

This is absurd. Dead Skin Mask and South of Heaven sound nothing like the Well-Tempered Clavier or anything reminiscent of Mozart.

March 22, 2010, 06:07:16 AM
More fuel: rock and roll band Venom were not the first to coin the term 'Black Metal', as more legitimate ancestors of the genre did so several thousand years before.

The Atharvaveda is also the first Indic text to mention Iron (as śyāma ayas, literally "black metal"), so that scholarly consensus dates the bulk of the Atharvaveda hymns to the early Indian Iron Age, corresponding to the 12th to 10th centuries BC or the early Kuru kingdom.

http://ancientscience.org/atharva-veda

March 25, 2010, 07:09:02 PM
Ha! The Hindus touched on every known area of thought. So did the Greeks. If you can't find a precursor to it in the Vedas and The Republic, it's probably bullshit.

Venom inspired a lot of people because they lowered the standard. You can suck musically and still be metal. So lots of bands tried, and learned to play their instruments while on tour.

You can see that in what happened to Carcass. When they all got good at their instruments, they stopped liking being in music. That's the punk path every band follows: finding out that your earlier work is in fact trivial and boring, if spirited, and now you want to do something else.