Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Wolfquest: for video game junkies

Wolfquest: for video game junkies
December 31, 2007, 10:46:09 AM
The new video game "WolfQuest" allows players to follow the call of the wild in the role of a wolf in Yellowstone National Park.

"You have to learn how to hunt, survive, defend your territory and ultimately find a mate and establish your own pack," said project director Grant Spickelmier, assistant education director at Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley. - news

FREE DOWNLOAD
http://www.wolfquest.org/downloads/WolfQuest_Win.msi
http://www.wolfquest2.org/WolfQuest_Win.msi
http://www.eduweb-labs.net/wolfquest/WolfQuest_Win.msi

Re: Wolfquest: for video game junkies
December 31, 2007, 11:12:02 AM
Older than you think. This concept is from the beginning of the 90's - the game was called Wilderness or Survival, I cannot remember now. It's all the same - you're a wolf, trying to survive in some park or something, forest maybe, hunting and mating female wolves.

January 03, 2008, 06:29:26 PM
Few games interest me, I'll try that free one!

January 05, 2008, 08:48:05 AM
This game sucks! Interesting concept, just a piss poor game. Every time I try to chase down something to eat, it's like my wolf gets distracted, I can't ever steer him in the right direction.

Oh, and try playing it on multiplayer. The few-and-far-between servers out there must be running on a 56k modem.

shadowmystic

January 05, 2008, 10:23:26 PM
On the topic of interesting video games, did anyone play the original Myst?  It was less like a video game and more like a complex puzzle that forced the player to think creatively and laterally.  There was even one level where you had to map it out before you could solve it.

chrstphrbnntt

January 06, 2008, 08:10:48 AM
On the topic of interesting video games, did anyone play the original Myst?  It was less like a video game and more like a complex puzzle that forced the player to think creatively and laterally.  There was even one level where you had to map it out before you could solve it.

Riven was even better. You'd probably like Planescape: Torment, if you haven't already played it. You don't really play it; you read it. The script is much longer than Tolstoy's War and Peace. There's lots of consequences for your actions, your stats affect how the story plays out, et cetera. A real joy.

Gothic, Discworld Noir, The Neverhood, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Return to Krondor, Darklands, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, Darklands, Sanitarium, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Longest Journey (recommended to me by another forum patron), and Darkness Within are also worth checking out, as far as immersive adventure games and story-based RPGs go.

That's what I've discovered in my recent binge to find games good enough to be considered "art", at least.

shadowmystic

January 06, 2008, 08:00:30 PM
I've been meaning to check out Riven for ages, when I played the first one I was a little over 8 and so had trouble completing it without help from the net.  I think I'd probably be more able to solve the problems now.  I'll check out some of those others you mentioned when I'm feeling lazy, thanks.

January 07, 2008, 07:20:08 AM
Few games interest me, I'll try that free one!

I stopped playing... I can't even mate.

January 07, 2008, 11:53:57 AM

Riven was even better. You'd probably like Planescape: Torment, if you haven't already played it. You don't really play it; you read it. The script is much longer than Tolstoy's War and Peace. There's lots of consequences for your actions, your stats affect how the story plays out, et cetera. A real joy.

Gothic, Discworld Noir, The Neverhood, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Return to Krondor, Darklands, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, Darklands, Sanitarium, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Longest Journey (recommended to me by another forum patron), and Darkness Within are also worth checking out, as far as immersive adventure games and story-based RPGs go.

That's what I've discovered in my recent binge to find games good enough to be considered "art", at least.

Add the Thief trilogy to that list and it will be just perfect.