Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Death Metal and Black Metal Wiki

Divus_de_Mortuus

Re: Death Metal and Black Metal Wiki
July 08, 2007, 03:02:18 PM

2. Better than metalar-chives: as kontinual notes, they treat all metal as equal and thus are useless for those wanting to actually learn the genre.

I don't disagree with the problems inherent with those websites, but they are no different than a college history class. A smart person knows how to glean the right information from these kinds of sources and can make an objective decision. If someone is too dumb to figure out metal with all the options and opinions available too them because of a site like wikipedo or m-a, I don't want them listening to the genre anyway.

What you guys should do is write more reviews for metal-archives and add more links to this site. I would work better than your own private wiki that no one will look at anyway.

Besides that, people wanting to learn the genre need to listen to albums, and not read websites.

July 09, 2007, 02:45:13 AM
What you guys should do is write more reviews for metal-archives and add more links to this site. I would work better than your own private wiki that no one will look at anyway.

I think that there is already a reasonable number of links to the DLA in Metal For Dummies, or at least from what I saw there last time. More links could be added, yes ; but reviews ? Anyone attempting to write something serious in Metal For Dummies is immediately buried under 35 other shitty reviews. Most intelligent people don't even care anymore about finding something worthwhile in this mess.

This Wiki can provide info that's not in the DLA reviews and that's better selected and articulated than some other sites, so why not ? If we are to fight over the inclusion of Sabbat (UK) or Dark Angel, it would still be better than arguing over Nightwish being labeled Black Metal at Wikipedo. No ?

Septicemia

July 09, 2007, 06:41:28 AM
I have drafted the Divine Eve page.

Septicemia

July 09, 2007, 07:56:09 AM
Just drafted Infester's page. Both this page and Divine Eve's are pretty rough, so I would recommend anyone with more comprehensive knowledge of either wikipedophile's formatting or the works of these bands touch up on them.
I would suggest more people contribute to this, so that we might at least get the pages of the larger bands (Burzum, Mayhem, Morbid Angel, Ildjarn, Possessed... etc.) started.

Raise_the_Dead

July 09, 2007, 08:38:18 AM
What's the point of bickering about it?  I'm sure there's better things you could be doing, right?

Anyways, I made a page for Summoning, which is somewhat incomplete, but it's a start.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 09, 2007, 08:39:39 AM
Starter page for Sabbath added. I'll flesh it out later if no one else does.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 09, 2007, 09:57:30 AM
What is the point of a site that just mirrors the DLA when the DLA exists already? There is none. Black Sabbath, Venom, Motorhead, and Priest should all be covered from an ANUS perspective, highlighting the positive contributions these bands had on future bands from Slayer and Bathory to Varathron and Darkthrone, instead of the typical mainstream arguments that pigeon hole them into simple loud angry blues rock music, which is then used to pigeon-hole extreme metal.  Allowing the mainstream to take ownership of classic heavy metal is only going to lead to more rock based extreme metal, and more VH1 countdowns that list Raining Blood and Iron Man between Smells like Teen Spirit and Cherry Pie on best ever "metal" song lists.

Be productive. Imitiating a perfectly fine site is not productive. Taking back Heavy Metal is.

July 09, 2007, 04:58:45 PM
Right now this seems like DLA-lite because of the list of provided bands.  This is for convenience-sake as a starting point, since most of us are familiar with these bands and should be able to provide a minimal framework upon which to build.  But: use your imaginations.  Bands are not the only things that need be discussed; genres, record labels, zines, events, books, and on and on can all be examined from the "ANUS perspective," if not provided simply because the information is important as part of the understanding of metal as a whole.  Another thing the DLA lacks is detailed commentary on many bands themselves outside of the reviews; clearly people around here enjoy discussing these things, so this is something else that can be a part of the greater project.  The possibility for perspective in these matters alone over something like metal-arch-ives or wikipedio is fantastic.

A short mission statement and FAQ (forthcoming) will hopefully help elucidate some of this for anyone wondering what to do about it.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 09, 2007, 05:40:21 PM
Well, I do love Black Sabbath, who doesn't? And between you and me, I would take Venom over Motorhead(songs in the same vein about genocide and satan>songs about dancing and dirty love) any day of the week. But to a point, I must confess, I did start that page to see how it would play out given the nature of the topic in recent months. A test for the new idea. And for some laughs too.

Like you Dion, I am starting to see this wiki as a great idea. Kontinual is dead on. I totally agree with his ideas, which is the other reason I started to focus on Heavy Metal first, and not Morbid Angel or Possessed or Pestilence. I have spent countless hours discussing the "anus perspective" on Norse Black Metal's role in metal and spent countless hours discussing Morbid Angel's superiority over all Death Metal. I have long been a champion that to a large degree, Slayer is really the only speed/thrash metal you need at the end of the day, and we have all written on the demise of metal for years, which gets depressing. I would rather celebrate metal's birth and rise instead. That's what gets me going, now the question is, what about you?

Raise_the_Dead

July 10, 2007, 07:03:22 AM
I agree, let's do a nice portion of the bands that are there before eventually moving on to other bands.  Eventually it would also be cool to have pages like 'guitar', 'satan', 'death', 'moron metal', etc.

I wouldn't worry so much about people adding extra bands.  It seems like this project is kind of an experiment to see if hessians can do better than wikipedi-ans.  So far...

Also, I think if there were a page for Pantera or CC, it would give detail as to why these bands are unnecessary.

July 10, 2007, 11:04:23 AM
I added information to the At The Gates page, but I'm not sure if the formatting is up to par.

Is there a formatting guide somewhere on the wiki that I haven't noticed?

chb

July 10, 2007, 11:16:41 AM

July 10, 2007, 02:48:41 PM
Just did a wiki page for Gorgoroth. But i do have a bit of trouble with spacing as im unfamiliar with the wiki format, so if anyone can could they fix a couple of very small problems.

Raise_the_Dead

July 10, 2007, 03:10:41 PM
For formatting, you can just click "edit" on one of the articles that's already there, like Amorphis, and see how that person did it.  That's what I did at least.  And nice job with Gorgoroth, but I think I read somewhere that they consider Antichrist to be a full-length.

It's good to see people actually contributing to this.  At first it seemed like it wouldn't get off the ground.  Hopefully Hessians will pull through this time and be able to put aside their petty personal differences.

July 10, 2007, 03:11:45 PM
It would be cool if everyone who completes a page creates a link, i.e.:

Gorgoroth wiki