Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metalheads and Media

Divus_de_Mortuus

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 05, 2007, 07:53:55 PM
Quote
If you'd never seen a movie or tv show, would your life be:

A) better
C) worse

Just answer the motherfucking question, all of you.


Better obviously, but I refuse to believe all forms of media are the same as "The Fresh Prince".

beyond_godlike : Where these movies find validity is analogous to the earlier point about reading Shakespeare vs. watching a performance.  A serious question, and I mean no offense, but if all movies like these are 100% crap, why on earth would you go to a theatre and spend money to watch one?

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 06, 2007, 12:19:53 AM
Quote
If you'd never seen a movie or tv show, would your life be:

A) better
C) worse

Just answer the motherfucking question, all of you.


If most people waste their time with one thing what makes you think they wont waste their time on another such activity if the first is deprived from them.

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 06, 2007, 08:14:47 AM
Movies:

It seems as though something can still be positive even if it is contained within a largely negative medium (Hollywood). In fact, we all apparently agree that this is the case with metal music: healthy, traditional ideas and classical structures that use modern instruments as a vehicle for expression. The same can essentially be said for movies. Even though I contend that 99% of movies produced in Hollywood are complete garbage, there still remains that rouge 1% that manages to be both aesthetically pleasing as well as ideologically compelling.

Now, this all rests on the assumption that something can be "better" simply by way of comparison, but I think there is some inherent value to be found in "trolling the media," or placing strong, healthy values in front of modern people who typically go to the movies for some mindless entertainment that reinforces unrealistic, degenerate values (ex. individualism).

In this light, I found "300" to be extremely moving. Here we find a movie that is by no means "historically accurate," but like ancient myths and romantic literature alike, it elucidates timeless values. It was unbelievably refreshing to see a movie that so unapologetically promoted strength (both mental and physical), hierarchy, discipline, elitism, loyalty, honor, courage, and self-sacrifice. It demonstrated the importance of eugenics and how quality is superior to quantity.

Also, "300" made an interesting analysis of the fundamental nature of egalitarianism: when the deformity named Ephialtes learns from Leonidas that he cannot serve in the Spartan army, he throws a fit and betrays his countrymen (leading the Persians to the hidden goat path), ushering in their defeat. I was amazed at how much this reminded me of Nietzsche's "Tarantula" argument, that egalitarianism stems from a type of Crowd Revenge committed by the inferior individuals who, refusing to accept their position in life, selfishly bring everyone who is superior down to their level.

Something that Xerxes said to Ephialtes struck me as well:

"You will find that I am kind. For unlike the cruel Leonidas, who demanded that you stand, I require only that you kneel." (Modern Society 101?)

Anyway, I can clearly see why so many reviews marked 300 as "racist, homophobic, fascist, xenophobic" etc. Any movie that dares to uphold traditional values with sincerity to an audience that has been indoctrinated by modern thinking is sure to get a similar response.

Just some food for thought.


Here is the website for the organization that was responsible for the infamous "Spartan workout." I found their ideas quite interesting:

http://www.gymjones.com/

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 06, 2007, 09:49:51 AM
Quote

If most people waste their time with one thing what makes you think they wont waste their time on another such activity if the first is deprived from them.


What does this have to do with the question?

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 07, 2007, 02:26:26 PM
Without their TVs, most people wouldn't know how to think or what to "think." Your average metalhead is no different. It's the top 5% who do everything worthwhile in this genre while the other 95% do their best to destroy anything good that comes into the genre.

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 09, 2007, 01:31:13 PM
Quote
Without their TVs, most people wouldn't know how to think or what to "think." Your average metalhead is no different. It's the top 5% who do everything worthwhile in this genre while the other 95% do their best to destroy anything good that comes into the genre.


What about those who seek to create music which incorporates Cannibal Corpses idiotic fanatasies and Morbid Angels' unparalled artistic motivation? Seeing it from that perspective, it is almost possible to gather enough resource from both sides.

Re: Metalheads and Media
August 09, 2007, 07:23:10 PM
Quote

What does this have to do with the question?


I'm saying that TV is not a course for anything, so removing it should have little to no effect on the viewer whether they spend their time wisely or not.

Re: Metalheads and Media
July 20, 2015, 05:08:36 AM
Metalheads consume too much media of the mainstream variety. Drop out!