Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Underrated albums?

Re: Underrated albums?
June 10, 2005, 05:07:38 PM
Slaughterlord:

This short-lived Australian band, which functioned from 1985-7, never put out an album, though their demos are now collected on CD. Mostly a death metal band, their material also includes some speed metal elements, as well as music which can be called nothing but black metal. Though somewhat inconsistent, and at times even sounding clichéd or sloppy, there are points when this band is nothing short of brilliant. Considering the time period, you'll also find an unusual abundance of blasting drums on selected songs. Vocals are the typical proto-death metal semi-rasp on earlier material, but come to fruition later with great black metal distortion.

Since the album I have is a collection of demos, the quality of production and musicianship varies significantly, though the songs from the "Taste Of Blood" demo are definitely highlights; maximum progression in all areas has been achieved, such that the material therein would not sound out of place had it been recorded a half decade later.  A testament to the formational years of both the black and death metal genres, this band is worthwhile for its historical importance alone.  

Vilkates and Niden Div. 187 are reviewed in detail on the Dark Legions archive:

http://www.anus.com/metal/nidendiv187.html

http://www.anus.com/metal/vilkates.html

June 10, 2005, 05:10:02 PM
Thanks a lot. Will be checking them all out, methinks.

June 10, 2005, 05:11:49 PM
On second thought, you should probably just check out the "Taste Of Blood" demo. While their earlier material is akin to Sadus' or Kreator's demo material, this latter work is absolutely essential.

June 10, 2005, 05:15:10 PM
The only thing I can find for download currently is "Smell the Disgusting Sweet Taste of Dried Blood" by a band called "Wumpscut". I was eating, as well.

June 11, 2005, 03:23:52 AM
The only thing I can find for download currently is "Smell the Disgusting Sweet Taste of Dried Blood" by a band called "Wumpscut". I was eating, as well.

That band, :wumpscut:, is a second-wave EBM band (or whatever they call more commercial sounding abrasive industrial-influenced dance music). I was sort of interested in checking them out when I saw their aesthetics and album titles (ie, Music for a Slaughtering Tribe). I also heard from someone that they were "just as extreme, if not more so, than death or black metal". so I looked into it and got Music for a Slaughtering Tribe. There's a few interesting moments, but the supposedly dark sense of melody just sounds silly once you've heard Burzum, DMDS, Emperor, etc. The music is dance music first and foremost, and contains cheezy movie samples, and a constant 4/4 bass drum. The vocals sound like a combination of something from a mainstream industrial rock band like NIN and the style used in Filosofem. It's a little darker than something with Halloween imagery, but not much. Attempts at addressing the shittiness of the modern world come across as trite ("In a city, made of steel, a Concrete Rage, is all we feel", bleh!), but I'll give him credit for at least recognizing the shittiness. Overall, not something I'd listen to very often, although I must say I really enjoyed the song Fear in Motion.

June 11, 2005, 04:08:45 AM

I uploaded the album I have and placed it in the Audiofile section of the forum. Of note are tracks 3-5, which comprise the excellent "Taste Of Blood" demo.

June 12, 2005, 11:38:32 PM

I uploaded the album I have and placed it in the Audiofile section of the forum. Of note are tracks 3-5, which comprise the excellent "Taste Of Blood" demo.

Thanks, I've downloaded it and I'll give it a listen when I get back from college.

July 06, 2005, 03:44:57 PM
Upon further review, Sentenced's debut, "Shadows Of The Past," is a SEVERELY underrated album. While not the absolute masterpiece that their following album would be, it nonetheless is a unique fusion of what appears to be a multitude of death metal styles.

July 07, 2005, 08:40:53 AM
I thought North From Here was sort of like earlier ATG but was really lacking in structure to be enjoyable, or maybe had structure but it didn't meet up with the complexity of the melodies, something like that. Anyway I'm going to check that album out since I have completely overlooked it.

July 07, 2005, 09:02:38 AM
Their "Journey To Pohjola" demo, which came out during the intermission between those two albums, is also highly recommended. Though comprised of only three songs, it represents a refinement of the style present on the debut, and may just be some of their strongest work.

July 07, 2005, 10:54:21 AM
I thought North From Here was sort of like earlier ATG but was really lacking in structure to be enjoyable, or maybe had structure but it didn't meet up with the complexity of the melodies, something like that. Anyway I'm going to check that album out since I have completely overlooked it.

Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call it a masterpiece... good though.

July 11, 2005, 11:50:02 AM
And yes, hopefully this thread will have a purpose.  

It needs someone to summarize it.

Make a list of all the bands mentioned, perhaps with a one line description, and distill it to a single page of information. One can start a new thread off that, but threads such as "seeking opinions" and "overrated/underrated" are standard features of metal boards because they require little real interactivity.

July 11, 2005, 08:12:03 PM

It needs someone to summarize it.

Make a list of all the bands mentioned, perhaps with a one line description, and distill it to a single page of information. One can start a new thread off that, but threads such as "seeking opinions" and "overrated/underrated" are standard features of metal boards because they require little real interactivity.

I find them useful on this board because I respect the musical taste of certain individuals, and find they overlap to a great extent with mine. I've discovered good bands that I would have either passed over or never heard thanks to these threads.

July 12, 2005, 01:33:54 PM
Out of what was mentioned so far, here's what I have to add:

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation: this album doesn't try to be brutal or fast but simply coherent, and I think it succeeds very well at that. The individual tracks really seem to develop as compositions.

Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity: even though most people around here likely know of Gorguts, this is some of the best death metal ever created. The songs have all the characteristics of being good death metal, without going too far overboard through technicality or experimentation simply for the sake of doing so.

Therion - Beyond Sanctorum: has a very distinct quality to it. That's the best way I can summarize its impact; but definitely worth checking out.

I would add:

Absu - Tara: relentless from start to finish with excellent lyrics.

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey: I think this is their best album, it rolls along like a funeral procession and achieves a true "grimness".

Thorns - Thorns: successfully integrates what made older black metal good, while grabbing for future possibilities. The lyrics also intelligently identify the crisis of modernity.

Annihilaytorr

July 13, 2005, 05:56:32 AM
Luciferion don't get much recognition, "Demonication..." pretty much rules.

I agree. I can see how some might not like it very much because it sounds so similar to the Floridian legends at times. But what seperates this album is the way it sends the listener on a majestic journey through the sky before rapidly plunging back into the utter depths of hell. It is also totally different from everything else going on in Europe at the time. One certainly would not guess it was from Sweden in 1993.