Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Underrated albums?

Re: Underrated albums?
April 25, 2005, 11:54:50 AM
these are all excellent groups to be sure, but it's amusing how it's near mandatory that the following end up in "underrated" lists:

Miasma
Creepmine
Demilich (especially prone to this)
Morpheus Descends
Afflicted
Ceremonium
Infester
Molested

this thread got me to check out Golem's Dreamweaver. First impressions: interesting guitar sound, vocalist is a Jeff Walker rip-off, worst arrangement of The Rite of Spring in the history of everything.

I think the point of this thread was not only necessarily to mention merely underrated bands per se, but to also promote oft-overlooked bands who are deserving of attention. Bands whose catalogue may include only an album or two tend to fall into this category, and those who appreciate them will loyally reiterate their worth.

Death

April 25, 2005, 06:34:51 PM
It's been a while since I gave it a thorough listen but Afflicted - Prodigal Sun kicks ass. A unique album full of interesting riffs and song arrangements with a sound atypical of the then-rising Swedish scene, although I can see how their spacey prog-rock inclinations for much of the latter part of the album could turn someone off. Far from "bouncy fun DM" of the Dying Fetus variety.

I'd personally add Fester - Winter of Sin in the "overrated for being underrated" category; this one didn't really strike me as that special, but a (relatively) lot of people seem to like it.

Gorefest is another often overlooked band which I'm surprised to report is quite good.

April 27, 2005, 08:27:56 AM
Inspired by the opinions thread....

Adramelech

April 29, 2005, 09:15:19 PM
Skepticism - stormcrowfleet. Totally underrated, totally transcends its doom label. Totally awesome.

April 30, 2005, 07:36:20 AM
It's been a while since I gave it a thorough listen but Afflicted - Prodigal Sun kicks ass. A unique album full of interesting riffs and song arrangements with a sound atypical of the then-rising Swedish scene, although I can see how their spacey prog-rock inclinations for much of the latter part of the album could turn someone off. Far from "bouncy fun DM" of the Dying Fetus variety.

I'd personally add Fester - Winter of Sin in the "overrated for being underrated" category; this one didn't really strike me as that special, but a (relatively) lot of people seem to like it.

Gorefest is another often overlooked band which I'm surprised to report is quite good.

I also can't stand the bouncy shit Death Metal..but then I usually demand really fast shit when it comes to Dm as a rule.
Also, I agree...Gorefest's first two full lengths are pretty killer. Also early Defecation.

Here are two for opinions (I'm very curious):
Oppressor
Pessimist.
Coffin Texts

April 30, 2005, 11:22:11 AM
Hobbs' Angel of Death s/t (one of the greats)

Electric Wizard 'Come My Fanatics'

Sigh 'Hail Horror Hail'

I am guessing Demelich is seen as underrated in the sense it didn't get it's dues at the time. It's current social status I have no care of. It's a fantastic listen. Leave it at that.

LEGION

April 30, 2005, 08:13:15 PM
Kreator's "Renewal"...not very many liked its "raw" production, or even its "hardcore" direction.

May 01, 2005, 12:32:21 AM
Suffocation - Breeding The Spawn

It seems that most death metal fans ignore this one, mostly due to the production job, despite it being a remarkable progression from their debut.  

May 01, 2005, 01:52:46 AM
Because of the mention of Dr. Shrinker in the seeking opinions thread it reminded me to add a little known Wisconsin based Death Metal Band from the early 90's called Phantasm (one of the bands that was involved with Shrinker...and no, has nothing directly to do with my sn choice, it's just coincidence).  Phantasm is great old school death metal (with the old fashioned horror lyrics and all). The band never made it beyond the demo stage (like Shrinker), but  they produced great old school death metal on their demos (The Abominable, Gut Suckers, Lycanthropy), with an emphasis on creating an eerie/heavy atmosophere.  Very cool band that nobody really knows about these days.

May 03, 2005, 07:58:02 AM
Deicide: Once Upon The Cross
Black Sabbath: Seventh Star, Dehumanizer
Mercyful Fate: Dead Again. 9
Buchenwald Oven: Debut
Kristallnacht: Of War and Elitism
Dark Fury: Blutreinheit Releases
Immortal: Battles in the North, Blizzard Beasts
Dark Angel: We Have Arrived...
Slayer: Live Undead

May 03, 2005, 01:50:02 PM
Deicide: Once Upon The Cross

Without regard to the remainder of your list, how can the above EVER be considered UNDERrated?

May 04, 2005, 12:39:39 AM
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
Primordial - Storm Before Calm
At the Woods - Heart of the Ages

May 04, 2005, 01:11:45 AM
Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame
Primordial - Storm Before Calm
At the Woods - Heart of the Ages

Correction: In the Woods, not At the Woods.  Pretty good list btw.  I enjoy Primordial's material and I think that those two albums are great (haven't had the pleasure of hearing much before Spirit the Earth Aflame however).  Both of them were albums that grew on me.  I enjoyed them both when I first heard them, but didn't think they were anything to rave about, but slowly they grew on me and I came to enjoy them immensely.  I consider Heart of the Ages one of my favorite albums (I wouldn't call it strictly a black metal album as it ventures into other realms).  It's their best work by a good measure in my opinion, followed by the demos (which share a lot of the same songs).  

May 06, 2005, 07:28:55 PM
Correction: In the Woods, not At the Woods.  

Yea damn it. I usually find myself messing the album's name with that "At the". Immortal-ian slips ;)

Primordial's first works have a doom feeling to them, but the problem is that it's so accented that except for the demo, they just don't stick to you.

For me Primordial start with "Spirit..." and I like their last one too "Gathering Wilderness". For those that never listened to these albums I can only say this is pure epic without keyboards, so guess what guitar melodies do these guys achieve. This has once been called pagan metal, as a bm category. - "To Enter Pagan" (the remastered version song) is a black metal hymn btw.

greets

May 07, 2005, 07:34:31 AM
Most people cite Deicide's first two (admittedly classic) full length albums when mentioning classic Satanic Death Metal. But Once Upon the Cross is easily as good as Legion, in my opinion.
Also, Sepultura's Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation releases were not only the best they ever did, but are Classics in and of themselves. I consider Sarcofago's INRI, Vulcano's Bloody Vengeance, Krisiun's Apocalyptic Revelations and the aforemementioned earliest Sepultura to be the best of evil thrashy Hell from South America.
There have been ALOT of killer SA bands since the mid-eighties. I write that despite the fact that I greatly admire Adolf Hitler.