Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Are Gorgoroth immensely under-appreciated?

shadowmystic

Are Gorgoroth immensely under-appreciated?
October 18, 2007, 06:27:47 PM
Gorgoroth always seem to be pushed aside as either an interesting but mostly irrelavant supplement to the better known bands in the Norwegian scene, or as a band that simply didn't live up to the quality of the area.  The only reason I can possibly think of for this is their relatively late arrival on the scene, and possibly the fact that they were not heavily involved with much of the controversy occuring at the time.  This is a shame because, in my opinion, Gorgoroth not only live up to the quality of that scene, but they surpass virtually everything else released there with the notable exception of Burzum.  

The ability to create flowing epic melody that fits perfectly into a logical narrative places Infernus as one of the greatest songwriters of the modern era, this was demonstrated on Pentagram but was fully realised on Antichrist.  That album is a testament to what black metal can achieve structurally, and is possibly the closest metal ever came to true classical composition, it is only rivalled by Hvis Lyset Tar Oss in emotional and structural complexity.

Re: Are Gorgoroth immensely under-appreciated?
October 18, 2007, 06:33:03 PM
but was fully realised on Antichrist.  That album is a testament to what black metal can achieve structurally

I don't think anyone here disputes the above - if the band itself seems underappreciated it is because 1) Antichrist was released a full 2-3 years after most of the important second wave recordings, and 2) the band's relevance, for the most part, ceases with their achievement on that album.

shadowmystic

October 18, 2007, 06:38:26 PM
They do get more recognition on this site, that is true, I think alot of people overlook them when talking about the genre's classics, and they certainly qualify for that.  Two great albums isn't bad for any band either, not too many have more than three.

October 18, 2007, 07:43:53 PM
Having only heard Pentagram I can't judge for myself whether or not they rival Burzum, but after reading this thread I'm definitely gonna hafta pick up Antichrist.

This might be a topic for a new thread, but how exactly do you judge quality in the narrative of a metal song? I mean, as far as structure goes, what makes one song better than another? The way I judge it has always been that either it works, it flows, it's coherent, and it's evident the artist had a clear idea in their head while writing the song, or it's just a just a jumbled mishmash of ideas that don't work with eachother.

October 19, 2007, 05:52:22 AM
They are the Deicide of Black Metal; opening up the gates to unparalleled expression in composition and tone on their sophomore album, only to subsequently become self-aware and cater to the crowd.

October 21, 2007, 02:19:06 PM
Good timing: they've just split up.

Gaaaaahl and King Ov Hell will continue the European tour as Gorgoroth and then they go to court to contest Infernus for the rights to the name "Gorgoroth".

There will still be a new studio album next year, recorded by the remaining duo and mixed by Pytten.  They've always made accomplished bm but it never had the ability to 'lift me out of myself' when listening, similar to Absu or Graveland.

October 21, 2007, 06:13:58 PM
but isn't Infernus the 'man' behind Gorgoroth ?  

October 21, 2007, 09:16:28 PM
Sad news, as I am seeing them live in just over 2 weeks. Though they are supposedly still continuing the tour, it's a shame I won't be able to see the "full" lineup, so to speak.

October 22, 2007, 02:15:18 AM
This might be a topic for a new thread, but how exactly do you judge quality in the narrative of a metal song? I mean, as far as structure goes, what makes one song better than another?

It's levels of quality. You don't really compare two things to each other so much as you say "these are top notch, and distinguish themselves from the rest." If you want to compare, say, Burzum and Gorgoroth, you're then looking at the gestalt of details that distinguishes one from the other, and trying to figure which has clearer, brighter communication.

October 22, 2007, 06:30:52 AM
I'm sorry if it's off the topic but I could find Gorgoroth lyrics (except a few tracks) anywhere in the net apparently becasue of copyright issues (bullshit). Anyone can help?  I am looking for lyrics from Antichrist.

October 22, 2007, 07:15:26 AM
I'm sorry if it's off the topic but I could find Gorgoroth lyrics (except a few tracks) anywhere in the net apparently becasue of copyright issues (bullshit). Anyone can help?  I am looking for lyrics from Antichrist.

They don't publish their lyrics, and people who somehow figure out and write down the lyrics themselves and publish them are approached and requested to take them down under threat of legal action. It's probably pretty unlikely that you'll have any luck finding them.

October 22, 2007, 07:38:25 AM

They don't publish their lyrics, and people who somehow figure out and write down the lyrics themselves and publish them are approached and requested to take them down under threat of legal action. It's probably pretty unlikely that you'll have any luck finding them.

Wonder who does that? Is it a label or does Gaahl approach them and threaten to drink their blurd  ;D

K

October 22, 2007, 10:27:13 AM
Gorgoroth is starting to stop tabletures too, they denied permission to metaltabs.com

Lyrics never seemed important to me, just the musical aspect (including vocals). As far as I can tell, the lyrics of pentagram is "quack quack quack", but it works.

October 22, 2007, 10:44:12 AM

Wonder who does that? Is it a label or does Gaahl approach them and threaten to drink their blurd  ;D

He doesn't drink blood, remember he's a vegetarian  ;D

October 22, 2007, 10:52:07 AM
Gorgoroth is starting to stop tabletures too, they denied permission to metaltabs.com

Lyrics never seemed important to me, just the musical aspect (including vocals). As far as I can tell, the lyrics of pentagram is "quack quack quack", but it works.

True, but then how does one discern the philosophical statement?