Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is the Book Lords of Chaos worth reading.

Is the Book Lords of Chaos worth reading.
June 07, 2005, 07:14:28 AM
 :-/I've heard a lot of reviews about this book is it worth the reading as i hate wasting my money.

Meh, it's a fairly entertaining read I guess. Varg wrote an article slating it for being inaccurate among other things, though.

I bought it when I was relatively new to the music, it's an okay read and is a good history lesson for the Norweigian scene 83-93.  It has alot of good interview material with a bunch of modern commentary from prominent  figures about the murder(s), motivation behind the scene, etc.  It gets a little boring when the authors go into varg's ufo theories and such.

I agree, I'm relitively new to metal, and found it to be an interesting book, it does go on in someparts and becomes boring, but I like it overall, I'd say its worth the money.

It's sensationalist, but if you're prepared for that, it's ok. Just that though, nothing more.

It's sensationalist, but if you're prepared for that, it's ok. Just that though, nothing more.

Yeah, I found that the book focused on Satanism, and finding every possible manifestation of it, when its role was mostly metaphorical with some exceptions, because that's the gimmick that pulls the reader in. Then in the second half, it focused on heathen Neo-Nazism in an overblown manner, as well as reaching for straws in finding any movement which is amoral and believes in destroying society. I found myself in the dark as to what relevence the "Lords of Chaos" kids who devoted themselves to just destroying shit had to the black metal underground, although I can see parallels in their nihilistic desire to destroy the modern world, it still strikes me as reaching for straws.

That being said, I am glad that I read the book as a whole. although there are some parts that seemed like a waste of paper.

If you like theatrics and soap operas as well as sentationalist reportage you'll love it. Worth it just to read Varg's rants (which I happen to believe are probably true. Everything in his history has been full of contradictions and nonsense so I doubt if this is any different.)

S8n

:-/I've heard a lot of reviews about this book is it worth the reading as i hate wasting my money.

Don't know about the book but the CD was shit :(

I got the book a few months ago and thought it was decently good for someone fairly new to BM.  I'll tell you what, the first few chapters will not bore you one bit, you just keep reading and reading, when it gets into politics and beliefs it starts to get boring.  But it has good interviews and a nice selection of photos from all over the place.  I'd snag one if I was you.

Def. worth the read...Ya gotta take it with a grain of salt though,as with everything in life ::)Great pic of dead,dead :)....Choosing death is a good read also!

It's a nice overview of the black metal scene in norway at the time, but I agree, it becomes ridiculously stupid with Varg's ufo theories.

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't hurt to read it.

S8n

I would not mind getting a hold of the book but the CD was shit. I know someone that donated certain pics for the book.

Tyr

The chaos book is worth reading, lots of interesting info, especially about older metal and old 60s occult band or two.

Lots of interviews and insights into the motivations of some of the more infamous events in the rise of blackmetal.

However, I feel the book gives too much attention to Varg and gives him more credit than is due.

It's worth reading, however, full of inaccuracies and  sensationalism.

Re: Is the Book Lords of Chaos worth reading.
August 01, 2005, 09:34:43 AM
Most of what is written here is true: it contains some false info and when it came down to it for me, the only three things I look back to the book for are the interviews with Garm and Ihsahn, and the picture of Dead with his brains blown out.  It's a couple-days's read, and I'd suggest getting it nonetheless.

The seed is sown
------------------------------------------------------
Jul 26th: ANTIMATTER - Planetary Confinement
THE END RECORDS