Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Our Cultures

Our Cultures
December 13, 2007, 12:49:01 PM
I am curious to know how your culture/hertiage  effects your hessian minds. What strengths does the above have on your hessian life, and/or what weakness would you like to change.

I am from South Italy here in Basilicata a poor region that is old, rustic, and by its  own nature very pagan. As I had said in my Basilicata post, the Church has NO power here, as we remain to our ancient ways. But at times we can remain hopeless in trying to better ourselves. But we survive. We endure....

So how does this affect my life as a hessian or more to the point for me, my music, and the way I percieve music? I am simple being who enjoys simple music. Oh do not mistake this for a mind that enjoys this pop disease, but rather, music that is SIMPLY effecive. This can only happen when you are in tune with your surroundings and you feel the very Earth around you portay its wisdom.

Re: Our Cultures
December 13, 2007, 01:53:54 PM
My mother's side carries a long line of Scottish heritage, but all I have to show for it is a family book with a coat of arms.

My father's side carries Swedish heritage, but he died 9 years ago with that knowledge, so chances are I'll have a hell of a time tracing that back. All I know is that my surname (Amason) was traced back to the town of Birka. Finding that out was pretty cool.

It's hard to give a straight answer on the effects that it has on me. Probably very little. I am the ONLY person in my family so far that actually gives a fuck about these kinds of things, but, like I said, most of the knowledge is dead now.

I would have liked to answer this question with an explanation of my family's rich cultural involvements, but it's simply not the case. Maybe one day, I'll return to the town of Birka.

Oh, and to answer your question, I have always been interested in Viking culture. And... I guess I enjoy a lot of Swedish bands? LOLZORS

Divus_de_Mortuus

December 14, 2007, 04:32:40 AM
My father's side is totally Irish, and thus my sisters and I inherent very Irish features. My mother's side I believe six generations ago were Anglo-Saxon plantation owners in Tennessee. Somewhere between then and now I have a Norwegian grandfather and a Scottish grandmother, but I can't remember exactly where. My Mother's father is Italian, though you wouldn't know it looking at his grand-children.

I myself grew up in a small town in west-central Illinois, and that, along with my Irish heritage, impacts 'my' culture more than anything else, as at this stage any Anglo-Saxon culture and whatever else has been filtered through hundreds of years of Americanism.

It is because of that background when I first started to become Aware, I was originally filled with a fierce patriotism for America and what I thought it stood for. But the more I learned, the less I liked, and as I shed religion and classical music and Metallica drew me deeper into metal, somewhere I became something like what I am today.

It is both painful and joyful when you realize everything you have ever been taught by society is a lie, but at the same time there remains the shadows and ashes of something once wonderful, that perhaps someday could be reclaimed...but mostly painful.

EDIT : I have tried many a time to look deeper into Irish metal. Sadly, my kinsmen across the water were certainly not Metallic craftsmen. :(

December 14, 2007, 05:44:12 AM
I'm English, from the south east. As for how this affects my taste in music, I am really not sure.

I can say that I enjoy music that reminds me of days of old or the countryside. As such, I am not terribly into death metal, and I rather ignore the satanic elements of black metal. The Church has played a significant role in the formation of England over the past 1000 years, and a large part of it hasn't been so bad.

In fact, nowadays, elements of English Christianity are one of the only few factors left that are impeding the march of globalisation.

December 14, 2007, 06:42:41 AM
I'm half Quebecois of blood, but a bit more than a half of mind. The other side comes from Austria and Slovenia but I always lived in Quebec. How this affect my tastes and views of the world?

Well, I have some kind of taste for bizarre and unconventional music. I think Quebec's music is very proper to this taste and I'm pretty sure the other Quebecois on the forum will agree. Since Voivod, many of Quebec's metal bands have riffs and song structures that are often unusual (Cryptopsy, Martyr, Gorguts). Other genres of music also sound peculiar in Quebec. We could easily consider René Lussier the "voivod of jazz" or vice-versa. Perhaps this musical orientation towards the bizarre comes from our bastard heritage.

My views of the world are also influenced by the Quebec, namely the beauty of its environment. I also often agree with ANUS political ideas, but I'm more of a cynic with it comes to politics, although this might be considered a wrong behavior here. "Like state, like man", I believe that everyone should know self-sufficiency, yet there is a problem, overpopulation.

December 14, 2007, 07:32:10 AM
the town of Birka.

People from my city in Poland were trading something like necklaces with them. LOL

Now I live in Poland but my family came here from Lithuania. They say we had a Swedish ancestry... I'll have to check this with the uncle of my mother in a few days.

From my father's side, they have a surname which refers to a Polish city but I've been lucky enough to visit Israel and there are lots of people with such surname there.

December 14, 2007, 08:36:37 AM

From my father's side, they have a surname which refers to a Polish city but I've been lucky enough to visit Israel and there are lots of people with such surname there.

I don't understand...you mean you are half jew right?

December 14, 2007, 08:42:25 AM
I am Irish. My heritage informs everything I do. The Gaelic psyche is a mystery to other cultures, even other European cultures. If you don't already understand it it would be fruitless trying to explain.
M' fhuíl go síoraí.

Oh no I am really into Irish culture. I have a half-Irish niece and I am always buying her plastic Blarney stones and knitwear. Plus, I totally support the IRA.

MLK

December 14, 2007, 09:45:43 AM
cool dude, dont forget to tell all your nigerian and chinese friends, votáil a shinn féin xx <3

December 14, 2007, 11:17:03 AM
Great! I also love and respect the Irish culture.

December 14, 2007, 04:21:46 PM
I am a Hungarian with the happy fortune of being a first-generation American.

As a citizen of the U.S.A., I have always observed things from the peripheral perspective--I've never quite been able to become a complete "American" because of the culture within our home. From a personal perspective, I can tell you that every family of immigrants secretly bemoans their fate, and are simply making do with the situation they're currently facing. Many simply quelch any sense of spiritual association with an actual culture through solipsistic activities. The ancestors of those who came to the U.S. generations ago went through the same pains, or were driven here by blind ambition, persecution, or some combination of the two.

This influence has drawn me into a close relationship with American death metal, which, in its highest form of expression, seeks to escape a lackluster existence by completely dissociating itself from any sense of geography whatsoever. American death metal deals primarily with levels of the psyche; Morbid Angel is perhaps an exception to this rule.

As a Hungarian, the motivating force of my being is the attraction to adventure for its own sake. Such a spirit may be gleaned in Bartók Béla's works. There is no goal-orientedness as with the Western European peoples; the Magyars, according to legend, settled in the Carpathian basin in pursuit of a white stag. Somewhere along the way, we settled into a sedentary lifestyle, but not before reminding Europe of its long-forgotten vir. It is quite telling that the Hungarian word for "work" (munka) finds its origins in the Slavic languages. Prior to then, we knew not what it was to toil aimlessly, perhaps with no other reason but to while away the hours (really, what a distinctly Protestant/Western European concept!). It is perhaps due to the transition from nomadism to civilization that Hungarians have a notoriously high suicide rate. A baseline depression plagues us all; my goal is to quell this with a great journey of my own, one that will lead me to seek an axis mundi and become fully Hungarian. The reason is simple enough: the opportunity awaits me. Besides, it makes for a hell of a lot more interesting lifetime than the x assortment of career paths offered by modern society.

I identify Hessianism with such an adventurous spirit. While many of you Nords and Anglos have long-since stifled your sense of mischief in pursuit of coarser activities (such as sharing snide remarks and calling it a day), I think that these values were once universal. All that is beautiful in metal music is characterized by a meandering quality, which confers logic insofar as it is organic in structure. To that end, I love the earthiness and transcendence that is conveyed in black metal, the wonderful patterns expressed in the worthwhile genres of death metal. Classical music is the apex of what appears to be a myriad of disparate qualities. If nothing else, it is through music that man recognizes within himself that which is Divine.

Lastly, there is a distinct brand of Hungarian arrogance that complements such tastes quite nicely!

December 14, 2007, 04:33:50 PM
My parents are Criollos from Mexico, although I was born in the U.S.

Basque ancestry from my mother's side, and Spanish (Andalusia) ancestry from my father.

December 15, 2007, 06:29:35 AM
In terms of geography, I am half Salvadoran and half American. I know my Salvadoran family is almost exclusively Pipil, and this is likely true judging by my prominent physical features.

Much like Malarky, I am a first generation immigrant to the U.S. Although I've lived here for 10 years, I have not assimilated into U.S. culture. This was not simply a nonconformist stance but because the U.S., its culture and its values, are essentially antithetical to those of Salvadorans. We value family, hard work, self-confidence and determination, strong will, and courage.

Though the entirety of the country was converted to Catholicism during the Spanish conquests, one of the values that still perseveres amongst the indigenous and country-folk is an appreciation of nature (something you wouldn't be able to tell if you visited the country now, but we can thank Globalization, war, and catastrophic natural disasters for that). To be fair, though, Catholicism also admires and respects nature and expresses a spiritual connection with nature (someone I've always admired, although not Salvadoran, is Chico Mendez from Brazil). Mysticism and folklore is still a feature of society there, though this can be said about almost all of Latin America; the area is renown for its magical realism authors.

I should also note that I lived in El Salvador during some of the worst years of the Civil War. My mom and I left the country when she was sent a death threat, although we returned after the Peace Accords. I'm a strong supporter of the FMLN, especially those loyal to the original causes of the group.

That said, I think this has had quite an influence on my character, and in particular, the music I listen to. I can definitely relate to the way ANUS treats music and how it sees it as not a form of entertainment but as something higher, as an expression of timeless and immortal human values, and also as a platform for discourse about modern society. Perhaps my preference for black metal is derived from its aggressive anti-Western, anti-modern stances and its emphasis on the more Earthly and primitive values and culture.

December 15, 2007, 12:31:17 PM
My family on my mother's side is Mexican of the criollo sort (Latin Americans of pure European descent, primarily Spanish (though I've looked at pictures of my great uncles and some of those guys don't look very European)). My father is half-German, half-Mexican of the mestizo sort. I'm a second generation American. I still have family living in Mexico, and we have a ranch there that's been in the family for almost 200 years. I kind of feel like I have two identities. Given that I grew up my whole life in the states I'm obviously very much assimilated into gringo/American culture, but I was raised by my family with a different culture and a different language. One thing I've observed is that Mexican families tend to be very tight-knit, at least this is what I've seen from my family and other families. This seems to me to be in contrast to a lot of gringo families. It just seems to me that there is a lot of focus on individualism and "doing your own thing" in American culture. It seems very cold and distant to me. I was not brought up that way. Strangely enough, I developed some kind of rebellious tendency within myself that nobody in my family really shares. I know my grandmother would probably have a heart attack if she learned about some of the aspects of my worldview.

I don't really know how my cultural experiences have affected my experience as a "hessian" or whatever. I've never really thought about it, actually. I have noticed that without really realizing it most of the time that I have the tendency to attempt to disassociate myself from the Americanized side of myself. It gives me a certain kind of pleasure to think  that I still have a connection to a different culture. I haven't attempted to find out why I have such a tendency though. I'm not very introspective. I prefer to focus my thoughts on things that are external to myself.

December 15, 2007, 01:08:04 PM
i'm only interested in a cultural identity from the perspective that it can influence and inspire great works of art. this occurs mainly as a result of a 'cross cultural' exchange i.e. by observing other interesting and worthwhile aspects of other cultures whilst at the same developing one's own identity.

most unartistic expressions of culture and nationalism are shit.