Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
January 31, 2010, 09:31:36 AM
I was not blown away by Inveracity. Too metalcore.

Did you hear their first album (Circle Of Perversion) only? If so I can see why you would dislike them. There's really only one good track on that first album (the one they did the video for).

After "Circle..." Inveracity took a hiatus because each member needed a year in the Army (Greece's law). Once the members of the band came back from the Army, they put out "Extermination Of Millions" which is 10 fold better than their first. Seems like the military discipline stuck with them. I think it's what Suffocation SHOULD be doing but doesn't these days.

If you've heard that album, then disregard my comment.

February 01, 2010, 12:29:07 AM
If you'd like a more punkish "Like an Everflowing Stream", or a slightly wimped out Carnage, I recommend "Into the Grave". I don't listen to it every year but when I do, I want to go and molest a corpse.
This. It's about as simplistic as death metal gets without devolving into the nuanced homosexuality of Bruce Springsteen. Listenable, enjoyable for the odd turn or two, fun even - but death metal that's good for slamming beers is not good death metal.

February 03, 2010, 01:58:14 PM
Here's a band that's actually been reviewed on ANUS that I doubt many people have checked out: Blazemth. They only recorded about forty minutes of material over the course of their short career, but it's all great. Their first EP, For Centuries Left Behind, is particularly good, with a really nice atmosphere. Their follow-up EP Fatherland is a bit more conventional, but still definitely worth listening too. They remind me a bit of Avzhia and Kristallnacht: liquid keyboard melodies backing up chainsaw guitar epics.

February 03, 2010, 04:11:21 PM
Here's a band that's actually been reviewed on ANUS that I doubt many people have checked out: Blazemth. They only recorded about forty minutes of material over the course of their short career, but it's all great. Their first EP, For Centuries Left Behind, is particularly good, with a really nice atmosphere. Their follow-up EP Fatherland is a bit more conventional, but still definitely worth listening too. They remind me a bit of Avzhia and Kristallnacht: liquid keyboard melodies backing up chainsaw guitar epics.

I like their releases as well. They're pretty simple and not exactly compelling, but they make for a rewarding occasional listen. It reminds me of early Graveland with a different flow.

February 04, 2010, 01:56:48 PM
I'm looking for opinions on:

Totten Korps
Black Funeral (Have only heard Vampyr)
Winter

Oh, and Deiphago.

February 04, 2010, 04:00:24 PM
I'm looking for opinions on:
Black Funeral (Have only heard Vampyr)

Vampyr is a great album. I'm moderately familiar with Black Funeral, and count myself as a fan. Empire Of Blood is quite good too (though some of it is just re-recordings of songs from Vampyr). Moon Of Characith is a very odd dark ambient release. Parts approach brilliance in their morbid and haunting atmosphere, while other parts seem to repeat without end. Az-I-Dahak has probably the worst guitar tone in the history of black metal, though if you can get past that you'll find a worthy album combining Beherit and Darkthrone styled minimalism with slight industrial and ambient tinges. Waters Of Weeping is in the same vein, though better overall (not just due to the guitar tone). I have heard samples from their newest album, and it sounds promising.

In short, solid second tier black metal. Haven't heard anything bad yet.

February 04, 2010, 11:33:56 PM
I second deadite's Black Funeral overview, which only missed "Belial Arisen", sort of like leftover materials from "Empire of Blood" and "Ordog" which takes the outrage of "Az-i-Dahak" further into depths avantgarde black metal or Xasthur never dared to go. It almost sounds like a joke but it's too brutal and horrifying for that. Appreciated!

Winter's "Into Darkness" is one of the most bleak and devastating pieces of music in history. The only criticism that could be levelled at it is that the atmosphere is mono-dimensional, but that's a small thing in this expanse of wasteland litter and radioactive winds. Hellhammer, Amebix and Godflesh combined by an emotionally dead, impersonal group of musicians who tune the guitars to sound like basses.

February 05, 2010, 12:15:34 PM
Any opinions on Werewolf (Pol) - The Order Of Vril?

February 05, 2010, 01:34:47 PM
Winter's "Into Darkness" is one of the most bleak and devastating pieces of music in history. The only criticism that could be levelled at it is that the atmosphere is mono-dimensional, but that's a small thing in this expanse of wasteland litter and radioactive winds. Hellhammer, Amebix and Godflesh combined by an emotionally dead, impersonal group of musicians who tune the guitars to sound like basses.

I just listened to it! Definitely the most crushing album I've heard, Along with Disembowelment's Transcendence into the Peripheral, this is my favorite doom-death album.

February 08, 2010, 05:14:14 AM
I've enjoyed the following bands:

Ride for Revenge
Midnight Oddyssey

Any thoughts? Also, wondering about the following:

Lunar Aurora
Isengard
Wodensthrone
Pensees Nocturnes
Horn
Vinterland

February 08, 2010, 05:55:57 AM
I just reviewed Wodensthrone's "Loss" here.

Isengard is not mentioned enough when considering the classics of Norwegian black metal. The epic songs with Fenriz' drunken vocalizing put off a part of the audience but overall he did a much more imaginative, thoughtful and personal work with this project than with Storm. "Vinterskugge" is uneven because of its compilatory nature but I can't see how any Darkthrone or Burzum fan could ignore songs such as "Gjennom Skogen til Blåfjellene" or "Dommedagssalme". "Høstmørke" is slightly more faceless but contains the eternal "Thornspawn Chalice", possibly the final statement of "true Norwegian black metal", alongside many quality folk metal manifestos.

February 08, 2010, 12:28:18 PM
Vinterland is an overrated cheesy Dissection clone.

Lunar Aurora is good (imo) but not special, it's well executed symphonic black metal but not highly original. A good b-choice I suppose, try Weltengänger or Andacht.

Personally I was never a big fan of Isengard except for the tracks "Ut i Vannets dyp Hvor Morket Hviler" which sounds like a Darkthrone leftover and the slightly Burzumesque "In the Halls and Chambers of Stardust" both from the Vinterskugge album. I dislike the clean vocals and folk/doom/rock influences that dominate the other tracks. "Gjennom Skogen til Blåfjellene" is a boring variation of "The Crying Orc" and "Dommedagssalme" for a moment sounds like it's actually going to lead somewhere but then it fades out, if it was a 15 minute epic track with a conclusion I might have liked it better but now it just seems like boring wallpaper to me. Like early Order From Chaos I dislike Isengard because overall there are too many random influences for it to establish it's own voice and the music just goes nowhere and leaves me unfulfilled.

February 08, 2010, 12:55:48 PM
Like early Order From Chaos I dislike Isengard because overall there are too many random influences for it to establish it's own voice and the music just goes nowhere and leaves me unfulfilled.

This is interesting because I see exactly what you mean, but works for me the opposite way.

There is always this certain character of a journey, leading to an ambiguous conclusion, with fragmentary parts, holes and question marks, yet shining with an inner beauty and joy of discovery. Such is what I see as the true soundtrack to life. Early Burzum is one of the best examples - especially before the more mature "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss".

Very thorough, meticulous and symmetrical music - say, Bach - is more like the soundtrack to Bible, or another supposedly all-encompassing theory that is yet, at the end, only one angle to it all.

February 08, 2010, 01:47:19 PM

Any thoughts? Also, wondering about the following:
Pensees Nocturnes

Get past the whiny vocals and somewhat over-indulgence of "Vacuum" and you will find a classically inspired black metal gem. It's not entirely revolutionary, but I think it is an interesting direction for black metal to take. It's a one man project, and I don't think it would've worked with a whole band as the album is structured in a very specific, singular way. The melodies of both the guitar and various backing instruments (ranging from xylophone to clarinet) are superb, and the whole package really pulls you in and doesn't let go until the album is over. Definitely above average, and worth hearing.

February 10, 2010, 07:44:05 AM
Are these guys good:

Asgard (Canada)
Purulence

I think members from both bands were in Gorguts at some point, are either of them good?