Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
November 06, 2008, 10:25:33 PM
Benighted is bloody terrible.

and ive already expressed my views on Anata. not a bad band, but there is much better.

November 08, 2008, 05:05:15 PM
Laibach. The only band of all those in the Neofolk/industrial/pop-music with metal ideas cluster I enjoy, although their output is variable.
Here's what I think of each of their albums I've heard:
Ljublijana Zagreb Beograd: Early live recordings. Basically shit. Abrasive noises and spoken word vocals. It probably had some relevance as social protest at the time, but as music, none, although I've never actually found the patience to listen to it all the way through, so there mgiht be a few good moments.
Nova Akropola: Their best in my opinion. Violent and claustrophobic, with a sense of real anger - yet somehow majestic. The grandeur may be sarcastic, a mockery of totalitarian pomp, but it makes for good music.
Opus Dei: Pretty good. Orchestral synthesis is dominant here - the album gets called Wagnerian. The best tracks are the ironic cover versions (Queen's One Vision and Opus' Life is Life). Even more than on Nova Akropola the best moments come from a parody of military bombast; the sardonic nature perhaps stops it from having any real impact.
Sympathy for the Devil: Pretty stupid. Every track is a cover of the Rolling Stones track. It's funny the first time, but doesn't invite repeated listenings.
Kapital: Influenced by techno and hip-hop; the low pitched vocals are virtually absent here, being replaced by a variety of spoken word samples. Not bad, but far too long.
Nato: Together with Nova Akropola the only Laibach album with any real value. A hipster's dream: a concept album about the eastern European wars of the early nineteen nineties made up entirely of cover versions of pop songs; disco cover versions, played mainly on cheap sounding synthesisers. But somehow it works. As with Nova Akropola it seems to have real feeling behind it - understandable given that Slovenia was in the warzone, and to be appreciated even if the band's sentiments are not agreed with. The fact that the music is pretty good does not hurt, either.
Jesus Christ Superstars: Nu-metal aesthetic. Hamfisted attacks on religion. Tedious.
WAT: Not quite as hamfisted as Jesus Christ Superstars. Boring: goes on for about an hour, which is 45 minutes too long. The standout tracks are quite good though.
Volk: Like the previous two albums, hamfisted. Consists of covers of national anthems with the lyrics changed to make tediously obvious and conventional political statements; surprisingly Israel is the best song on the record. Turgid: this band is quite obviously past its prime.

November 08, 2008, 06:25:27 PM
I recommend Laibach's cover of 'Let It Be'. It very effectively inverts The Beatles' original album from drug addled liberal haziness to the stamping boot of authority. There are no particularly weak points on the album, which is a contrast to most of their output.

November 09, 2008, 03:09:32 PM
Malleus Maleficarum - Des Bibles , Des Hymnes , Des Icônes ...

November 15, 2008, 09:00:27 PM
Wolfsheim's output is uneven; the individuals behind it are talented but unstable, like many modern "artithths" tend to be.

I've decided neo-folk is crap. Everything I've heard is sub-par, and dramatic without making much of a point. I'd rather just listen to classical, good metal, and the good ambient works.

Post-punk similarly. Why listen, unless you're absolutely determined at all costs to listen to something from within the popular music world?

And if so................ why?

Agreed on both counts. For the longest time I kept listening to neo-folk, assuming there was some hidden aspect that I just didn't understand and the right literary/musical backgrounding would bring it all together for me. Then, one day, I saw it for what it was: crap. It's just like pop music, but less satisfying. I'd take Michael Jackson or Justin Timberlake over any neo-folk artist's output. If the music isn't fundamentally exciting and you have to strain your attention span to find something enjoyable in it, why bother? Post-punk is like punk with everything that made that genre exciting removed. All you're left with is jangly guitar chords, unprofessional singers and a poorly developed understanding of leftist politics.

Stick with "serious" music or listen to well-written pop but don't settle for a halfassed compromise between the two.

November 18, 2008, 09:44:06 PM
Punk died just like black metal: the crowd surged in.

People tried to "keep the spirit alive" -- why, I ask -- either keep the genre alive, or give up.

That meant trying to make mellow music powerful like punk. Neat idea, complete fail.

Same with neofolk. They want it to be folk, but punchy like punk. Also epic fail.

November 20, 2008, 05:38:35 AM
Something is amiss with Negura Bunget; but what? It's the melody that is missing. They try everything to cover that: good production, variation, drony sound...but the melodies suck, and thus it's like that Bartók Sonata: interesting for 5 minutes, as long as you anticipate what you hope will come; annoying when you have realized that it will never come.

November 20, 2008, 05:58:27 AM
Fanisk. Specifically wondering about their "Noontide" album. Tired N.S.B.M. tripe or something worth hearing?

November 20, 2008, 06:59:55 AM
it's not incredible, but it's not as worthless as the review that appeared on anus' metal page made it seem. it's good, and is similar to Eldrig but with fewer failings. i find Contra Ignem Fatuum's Detritus to be a much better approach to what is essentially the same method

December 07, 2008, 08:17:23 PM
Thougts on:

Demiurg - The Hate Chamber

Hooded Menace - Fulfill the Curse

Arghoslent - Hornets Of the Pogrom

December 07, 2008, 11:50:14 PM
Something is amiss with Negura Bunget; but what? It's the melody that is missing. They try everything to cover that: good production, variation, drony sound...but the melodies suck, and thus it's like that Bartók Sonata: interesting for 5 minutes, as long as you anticipate what you hope will come; annoying when you have realized that it will never come.

I agree. Its something I tried to get into, as many elements I enjoy seemed to be there. But whenener I tried listening to their work, I ended up blanking out or wanting to put on something else. Its simply really boring.

December 08, 2008, 07:17:16 AM
Haven't heard the other two bands but I very much like Arghoslent's latest album..probably their strongest. I for one have trouble considering it to be death metal..it feels more like classic power metal performed by a death metal band. Kind of like Bolt Thrower covering a mix of mid to late 80's Maiden meets elements of older Blind Guardian(?). So in my opinion it's not a breath of fresh air in terms of current death metal. The band's sound is almost contradictory on this album(as it was on the previous offering). It's a mostly rollicking and celebratory affair..and that's when Arghoslent are at their best. However you might notice some rather bluesy guitar leads or some very straight foward rock style riffs. This is of course contradictory regarding the lyrical content. I doubt they are oblivious to it..they probably find it amusing. I find that I really enjoy the lyrics..regardless of the racism that is supposedly celebrated. Vibrant story telling,kind of like a magnifying glass held up to history viewing the colonial and imperial man at his most ruthless.

December 08, 2008, 03:59:22 PM
However you might notice some rather bluesy guitar leads or some very straight foward rock style riffs. This is of course contradictory regarding the lyrical content. I doubt they are oblivious to it..they probably find it amusing.

I think that it is good response for you...

H: There is no contradiction. The lyrics are always written after the music; the riffs come first, and it has always been about the riffs, about painting pictures and illustrating scenes. As for influences, I will not embark on the long and tedious discussion it would be to speak of all influences on my life in general. I will say that I am generally uninterested in the metal music today and mostly listen to Russian opera and Flamenco. But I grew up on and still very much enjoy Vio-Lence, Forced Entry, Sadus, Kreator, Forbidden, Dark Angel, Devastation, Autopsy, Entombed, Corpus Rottus, old Vader, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Impetigo, Abominog, Deceased, Impaled Nazarene, Pan Thy Monium, Darkthrone, etc. Then for a long period I listened to bluegrass guitar, which I think has had a tremendous influence on my own playing and riff style. Bryan Sutton, Cody Kilby, Norman Blake, Clay Hess, Tony Rice, David Grier; extreme technical proficiency here, making metal look like a completely silly and puerile pursuit (which in many ways it is of course).

http://www.thelefthandpath.com/lefthandpath/index.cfm/event/read/entry/Interview_Arghoslent

Their interviews are the worthwile ones in my opinion.

December 08, 2008, 07:48:32 PM
Interesting interview, thanks.  Given my initial curiosity in the band, then this interview.. I decided to find the album and give it a shot.  I'll upload it in the audiofile as well for anyone else interested.

On a side note, I downloaded Dead Congregation's newest album.  My initial reaction is positive, it's like Incatation meets Immortal (2 listens so don't hold me to that).

December 09, 2008, 12:42:45 AM
Some recently discovered artists I'd like an opinion on:

Devastator
Evocation
Goatmoon
Inferna
Joan Baez
Prophecy of Doom
Trap Them
Grom
Semargl