Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands worth hearing thread

Re: Bands worth hearing thread
March 31, 2009, 04:33:32 AM
Sauron - Satanic Assassins

I highly recommend this album from 2008. It's the first band I've heard for years which brought me back to the raw energy of the 80s. Successfully channels the energy of hardcore, thrash and German bands like Kreator and Destruction combined with the aesthetic of early Venom and Bathory. It's not exactly original stuff but composition is extremely solid and it's so refreshing to hear a band so removed from any trends, sounds or image associated with modern metal. This succeeds where new Darkthrone fails - it doesn't try to be retro, it does what it does with confidence and without reference or tribute to anything. The music is serious stuff but I was wearing a smile blasting this stuff, which is how it should be.

March 31, 2009, 10:25:44 AM
Does anybody have thoughts on polish Arkona?

March 31, 2009, 12:10:15 PM
Sauron was rather sympathetic but one would like that these bands relax a bit and incorporate more influences and fresh ideas. It was very maniacally serious Sodom worship.

Arkona from Poland started out as a rather basic grim black metal act on the "An Eternal Curse of the Pagan Godz" demo stuff, tried out romantic and epic style with "Imperium" which is very empathic but the composition is blocky and simple. Sort of good. "Zeta Reticuli" was a more ambient take ("Transilvanian Hunger" style melodies) and I think it was the best compositional effort, along with the Mussorgskij side project which was more obvious with the synthesizer music and space techno influence. Check the reviews at LARM also.

April 02, 2009, 04:19:50 AM
Agalloch's "The Mantle" or "Ashes Against The Grain". I've actually already downloaded and have given both a listen, and I don't think I've heard a band this boring in awhile. Am I wasting my time with this shit, or will it actually get better with repeated listens? Ashes Against the Grain sounds like alternative or possibly post-rock (where's the metal?) and The Mantle is an intimidating listen with it's rather long run time.

April 02, 2009, 06:12:49 AM
I think it would be a waste of your time. Ive listened to Agallochs first album a few times and it only got worse the more I listened to it. Another one Ive seen praised but seems to be just like Agalloch, but even more boring is Falls of Rauros.

April 02, 2009, 04:55:39 PM
Agalloch's "The Mantle" or "Ashes Against The Grain". I've actually already downloaded and have given both a listen, and I don't think I've heard a band this boring in awhile. Am I wasting my time with this shit, or will it actually get better with repeated listens? Ashes Against the Grain sounds like alternative or possibly post-rock (where's the metal?) and The Mantle is an intimidating listen with it's rather long run time.

The Mantle has a few songs which are interesting, but those are the acoustic based songs.

The first album, Pale Folklore, is decent enough. I've had it for about two years now, and while I don't listen to it very often, when I'm in the right mood it fits. It hasn't worn out on me.

Decrepit Birth
April 06, 2009, 02:59:24 PM
I have only heard a few of their songs, but I am curious to know what you guys think about them. I have yet to find any of their albums...any suggestions?

Re: Decrepit Birth
April 06, 2009, 03:24:07 PM
I think they're a waste of time, there's absolutely no cohesion or songwriting ability to be found.  Another one of these "brutal" death metal bands we could do without.

April 06, 2009, 03:33:17 PM
Alright. I didn't even know what to expect with these guys. I usually don't listen to Brutal Death Metal, and I won't bother searching for these guys.

April 06, 2009, 04:01:12 PM
Basic summation of Decrepit Birth, as told by deadite.

...And Time Begins - blastblastblastblastblastblast, occasionally a small break, blastblastblastblastblast. This is how you fuck up death metal, to the highest degree of suckitude. The only positive aspect of this album is the cover art.

Diminishing Between Worlds - hey guys! Well with the last album everyone thinks we're a Suffocation clone. Let's mix it up! And so they did, taking the worst ideas from Cynic, Atheist, and Human/ITP-era Death, and unsuccessfully merge it with their Suffoclone sound. The result is a jumbled album which has people clamoring over its "experimental bent" and technicality, when everything on the album has been done before, and better, by bands previously mentioned.

Oh and their former guitarist is a child molester. How wonderful!

Avoid this band like the bubonic plague.

April 06, 2009, 04:22:39 PM

April 06, 2009, 04:26:11 PM
Basic summation of Decrepit Birth, as told by deadite.

...And Time Begins - blastblastblastblastblastblast, occasionally a small break, blastblastblastblastblast. This is how you fuck up death metal, to the highest degree of suckitude. The only positive aspect of this album is the cover art.

Diminishing Between Worlds - hey guys! Well with the last album everyone thinks we're a Suffocation clone. Let's mix it up! And so they did, taking the worst ideas from Cynic, Atheist, and Human/ITP-era Death, and unsuccessfully merge it with their Suffoclone sound. The result is a jumbled album which has people clamoring over its "experimental bent" and technicality, when everything on the album has been done before, and better, by bands previously mentioned.

Oh and their former guitarist is a child molester. How wonderful!

Avoid this band like the bubonic plague.

Alright, I appreciate the insight. After looking them up, I fail to be impressed, so I am passing them up.

April 08, 2009, 10:32:33 AM
I am a bit new to the forum, and am amused, but slightly confused, with the word filters. What band is "Gay Midget Fecal PrOn" and "Pink Frothy Aids(P.F.A.)"?

April 08, 2009, 11:05:48 AM
I don't know what GMFP is. Opeth = Slowpeth

April 08, 2009, 12:01:02 PM
goretrade and nunslaghter