Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Archaic video games

Re: Archaic video games
October 30, 2008, 06:17:41 PM
Being on a nostalgic trip I still find myself amazed by so called demo scene back in times when amiga was still used to produce music. Great graphic art and sometimes amazingly conscious music which was, despite its instrumentation close to heavy metal or techno produced by young, intuitive people.
If someone got few minutes...

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/damage-the-sadistic-butchering-of-humanity
Amiga game created by people somehow connected with/influenced by metal. It's like goregrind or suomi black metal statement. Can be enjoyable only in consideration of its intent.

http://edvardtoth.com/games/perihelion/#more-27
Archaic rpg with good graphics, for free from its author.

Glad to see some people don't associate 'good graphics' with the highest resolution and pixels, or whatever is the latest technological fad. I think most of the new 3D games look terrible, there's no art or charm to it. 3D saps all the personality and character from a game. Why do all new games sold utilize only the latest technology? The fact I have to buy a new computer every 2 years to play a new game is ridiculous (don't worry, I haven't bought one for 6 years!). Darkthrone didn't need the latest recording equipment to have good production, because they realized that what is 'good' is whatever is best adapted to the art's aesthetic, not whatever is new or fashionable.

October 30, 2008, 06:25:12 PM
Mechwarrior 2's music was some of the best i've ever heard in a game

oh i loved the MechWarrior series as a kid. i bought the latest one for Xbox, but really the only reason was that it was 6$. the game was fun about 2 or 3 times through, after that though it got very dull.

October 31, 2008, 08:41:04 AM
2 was the definite highlight. 3 was as good in quality, probably better really, but incredibly short and small-scaled. everything after 3 was bad, and the console adaptation is the worst one of all of them. i'd suggest finding a copy of Mechwarrior 2 and giving it another shot. even if for the music alone

November 01, 2008, 11:44:58 AM
Adventure games were always the ones that I liked the most. Zelda: Link to the Past is my favourite game ever by far, due to the great story, overworld and espicually dungeons while still having playable graphics. OoT and MM aren't bad too but their dungeons are not creative at all. LTTP hack Parallel Worlds is also worth checking out.

Despite Zelda, I haven't played much games. Probably because they suck if you don't play them(reminds me of rock/pop). Pokemon is the best example of the game that I flame a lot although I used to play them a lot. Still love Lugia's design though.

Talking about RTS, all what I have ever played is Age of Empires 2 and Warcraft 3. They are both just average games(I know what this community thinks about average things). However I still think highly of Genghis Khan missions due to the fact that the maps for them were brilliant and had some great egzotic atmosphere. China mission was epic.

November 08, 2008, 08:04:09 AM
Talking about RTS, all what I have ever played is Age of Empires 2 and Warcraft 3. They are both just average games(I know what this community thinks about average things). However I still think highly of Genghis Khan missions due to the fact that the maps for them were brilliant and had some great egzotic atmosphere. China mission was epic.

i loved Age of Empires, with the additional expansion "The Conquerors", it was even more fun. youre able to learn a bit about history while re-enacting historical and grandiose battles. quality RTS, one of the best ever made.

November 13, 2008, 11:07:27 AM
Aaaaaannnnndddd...

Earache records releases CARMAGEDDON clone + 5CD boxset of stuff you already own mixed in with stuff that sucks ass.

November 13, 2008, 04:14:28 PM
2 was the definite highlight. 3 was as good in quality, probably better really, but incredibly short and small-scaled. everything after 3 was bad, and the console adaptation is the worst one of all of them. i'd suggest finding a copy of Mechwarrior 2 and giving it another shot. even if for the music alone

i thought MW4 for the PC was quite adequate, it updated the graphics and gave a new way to configure weapons. 2 was the best, and so was its spinoff, Mercenaries.

November 13, 2008, 04:27:44 PM
the graphics for that installment were subpar even for the time. it upgraded the dimensional element, but the textures were ridiculously low. and it didn't do well at all in making you feel you were piloting a giant robot - it made you feel more as if you were a giant yourself

all that aside, though - the music. in that game was worthless schmaltz :p

November 14, 2008, 02:44:41 PM
the graphics for that installment were subpar even for the time. it upgraded the dimensional element, but the textures were ridiculously low. and it didn't do well at all in making you feel you were piloting a giant robot - it made you feel more as if you were a giant yourself

all that aside, though - the music. in that game was worthless schmaltz :p

i wouldnt know, the damned game never ran well on my computer so i always muted the soundtrack in the hopes of making it  run a bit quicker.

did the trick, actually.

February 12, 2009, 06:23:56 AM
At the end of the day, there is a whole world of different leisurely pursuits that are more productive and fulfilling than video games. Video games are a pretty damn good example of modern society's tendency to waste a shitload of technology screwing around, when it could be put it towards much more productive ends.

They could put it to more productive ends by making BETTER GAMES, just like in music. I find the parallels of the rise and fall of computer games to metal very interesting - starting in the 60s/70s with very rudimentary stuff, quality thoughtful games started in the mid 80s and peaked in the late 80s/early-mid 90s, then declined slowly towards the end of the century with mostly crap being churned out in the last 10 years.

Really good point. I wouldn't know if it's accurate; I've been avoiding recent video games, but they seem pretty one dimensional.

It's like people know how to add on stuff, or make stuff complex, but can't change the basic agenda to be more complex.

I think software in general has followed this curve as well, which is why open source can imitate half of it and produce a workable substitute.

Nothing driving forward. Did society stagnate, or were our goals so simple that now we've reached them in our mediocre way and are content to sit and swelter in the flatus maximus of our own irrelevance?

Descent I and II

February 12, 2009, 10:36:58 AM
At the end of the day, there is a whole world of different leisurely pursuits that are more productive and fulfilling than video games. Video games are a pretty damn good example of modern society's tendency to waste a shitload of technology screwing around, when it could be put it towards much more productive ends.

They could put it to more productive ends by making BETTER GAMES, just like in music. I find the parallels of the rise and fall of computer games to metal very interesting - starting in the 60s/70s with very rudimentary stuff, quality thoughtful games started in the mid 80s and peaked in the late 80s/early-mid 90s, then declined slowly towards the end of the century with mostly crap being churned out in the last 10 years.

Really good point. I wouldn't know if it's accurate; I've been avoiding recent video games, but they seem pretty one dimensional.

It's like people know how to add on stuff, or make stuff complex, but can't change the basic agenda to be more complex.

I think software in general has followed this curve as well, which is why open source can imitate half of it and produce a workable substitute.

Nothing driving forward. Did society stagnate, or were our goals so simple that now we've reached them in our mediocre way and are content to sit and swelter in the flatus maximus of our own irrelevance?

Descent I and II
I think you're looking into it too much. There has always been good and bad games.
I will agree however that games have gotten worse. If you look back at the games of the SNES generation, they are a lot more creative than today's.

I particularly enjoy Counter-Strike.

February 14, 2009, 11:55:50 AM
anyone here old enough to remember this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(game)

February 14, 2009, 03:46:37 PM
See how far back video games and their controversy goes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Race_(1976_game)

February 14, 2009, 08:15:44 PM
Wasn't the last thread on videogames locked because the admin deemed them an incredible waste of time?

Anyway, Planescape Torment is the only game I feel comfortable endorsing here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

The game begins with the protagonist, known only as The Nameless One, waking up with total amnesia. He soon finds out that he is immortal; if he is killed, he will simply reawaken in the same body. He sets out on a quest to regain his lost memories, and discover why he is immortal. As the game progresses, he slowly remembers events from his many previous lives. He discovers much about the personalities of his previous incarnations, and the great influence they have had in the worlds and people that surround him

The key philosophical theme of the work is presented as a question several times: "what can change the nature of a man?". This question considers the possibility (or impossibility) of changing fate; many characters in torment are fighting against their natures, or against what seems to be an inevitable fate. One example is Nordom, who, despite being a modron (a hive-minded species) is developing a personality of his own.

Selfishness is also a very present theme. The Nameless One has, in previous incarnations, been so committed to understanding his condition that he has been willing to sacrifice everything and everyone on that quest. Many consequences of this can be discovered through the game..

this. the only game i've ever played i can honestly say approaches(if not "is") art. and the only one that actually affected how i live my life.

Quoted for truth. Planescape Torment is a masterpiece. This is a game that goes beyond simply trying to entertain and instead gets you to think and reflect.