Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Wolves in the Throne Room

Wolves in the Throne Room
October 22, 2008, 07:25:02 PM
Did no one else notice that this first album, Two Hunters, is basically a Skepticism "Aes" tribute?

Re: Wolves in the Throne Room
October 22, 2008, 08:46:48 PM
Did no one else notice that this first album, Two Hunters, is basically a Skepticism "Aes" tribute?

well, this is their second album.

and i havent heard the album you are speaking of. is it worth hearing? actually, i havent even heard Skepticism.

October 22, 2008, 09:32:19 PM
Respectfully ;)

Step 1: Locate some Skepticism.

October 28, 2008, 10:20:15 PM
I can't hear much Skepticism in this... odd comparison.

October 29, 2008, 01:49:10 AM
I can hear it, too. It jumped out at me. Listen to "I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots", then listen at about 7 minutes into Aes. It can't be missed.

December 09, 2008, 08:41:52 AM
well i know it's offtopic, but does someone know where i could get merchandise such as t-shirts from wolves in the throne room. You have to know iam from germany
Infernal Hails
BLodkult

December 11, 2008, 04:09:26 PM
You should get an Averse Sefira shirt instead, much better band.  Check out their albums in the audiofile forum.

December 14, 2008, 08:31:08 AM
I keep trying to like Wolves in the Throne Room, but they're kind of one-dimensional. The music got eaten up by the shoegaze/emo tendency to drone on and on without making a point, and making a point -- being heavy -- is what metal is all about. So they're basically hippies trying to invade metal.

And then there's the "ideology"...Eco-active black metal... who can't like that? Oh wait, but they're against using force to achieve that, and have this hippie dream that tomorrow, everyone will start listening to Wolves in the Throne Room, and suddenly become eco-activists. Completely delusional. I'm glad Toyota signed sponsored them and Nachtmysticum, effectively debunking both.

Would you like an eco-friendly, anti-human Scion(tm)?

December 14, 2008, 12:49:11 PM
No, but at the same time it's not a terrible idea.  Violence is a path that at some point in time will have to be followed, but at this point in time what are you going to really do?  I don't agree with their ideology at all, but ignoring certain small things that would have an immediate positive impact on the eviroment might not be an all bad idea, but we don't need a bunch of emo black metal hipstirs to shriek it at us.

December 14, 2008, 09:41:25 PM
I keep trying to like Wolves in the Throne Room, but they're kind of one-dimensional. The music got eaten up by the shoegaze/emo tendency to drone on and on without making a point, and making a point -- being heavy -- is what metal is all about. So they're basically hippies trying to invade metal.

And then there's the "ideology"...Eco-active black metal... who can't like that? Oh wait, but they're against using force to achieve that, and have this hippie dream that tomorrow, everyone will start listening to Wolves in the Throne Room, and suddenly become eco-activists. Completely delusional. I'm glad Toyota signed sponsored them and Nachtmysticum, effectively debunking both.

Would you like an eco-friendly, anti-human Scion(tm)?

aye, i have found after listening to "Two Hunters" extensively that i cannot make it through the whole album. i like about half of each song. they need to trim the fat on their next release.

December 14, 2008, 10:57:22 PM
I enjoy the second and fourth song in Two Hunters and dont have any problems getting through them. There are several great moments and the songs progress enough to keep me interested. However, the songs could certainly be shortened by trimming some needlessly repetitive segments. Tthe first and third songs are uninteresting, as was much of their first release.

December 14, 2008, 11:41:16 PM
I wish the DLA would review them. I've never seen a community to be so unsure about a band.

December 15, 2008, 05:06:38 AM
It's hardly necessary for a review. I think we're all fairly sure it'll turn out to be negative. The conclusion based on what I've read is that they aren't as good as built up to be by their fans. My two cents is that musically, they're decent. They manage to stand above the mediocrity of recent black metal, but they could have taken their music in a better direction. Their latest, Two Hunters, has excellent production and many mildly entertaining riffs. Cream of the black metal crop? No. But worth a listen if you're looking for more music.

December 15, 2008, 05:32:45 AM
The third song on Two Hunters should be cut out/reworked/shortened as it is terrible. The rest of the songs I really enjoy, especially lying down on a dark night.

December 15, 2008, 06:18:24 AM
The third song on Two Hunters should be cut out/reworked/shortened as it is terrible. The rest of the songs I really enjoy, especially lying down on a dark night.

I agree. The band actually did rework the song in the LP version of their album - they made it 6 minutes longer! I have yet to listen to the reworked song.