Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Wolves in the Throne Room

Re: Wolves in the Throne Room
December 27, 2008, 07:05:01 AM
I can see how I may have liked this band back in the day, Maybe if this had come out around 1996 I would have found this enjoyable.

I just cant get into this band really. I dont see anything new or interesting being done.

December 27, 2008, 07:41:57 AM
If one takes the long view, how "admirable" does that "eco-consciousness" look when they've sold their 'brand' to a corporation to help put more cars on the road?

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again: Wolves in the Throne Room aren't advocating for genuine change, they're marketing themselves as yet another lifestyle accessory for wealthy liberals.  They're clearly intelligent, articulate fellows.  They're also hipster hucksters who add nothing of value to metal or the world.

I agree with this, but I'd caution everyone to note that some posters in this thread never said the liked WITR, only that it is a useful symbol.

I guess liberal does sort of "equal" hipster. Liberals seem to me to be people who use the appearance of altruism/goodwill to appear superior to others.

December 27, 2008, 08:00:52 AM
They have a currently in-vogue "message"? thats interesting...in a disturbing way...

...And I just went and read up on this band....
I dont know what the fuck they think is going on but they aren't Blackmetal. that consists of a bit more than just playing instruments a certain way.

December 27, 2008, 12:50:53 PM
If one takes the long view, how "admirable" does that "eco-consciousness" look when they've sold their 'brand' to a corporation to help put more cars on the road?

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again: Wolves in the Throne Room aren't advocating for genuine change, they're marketing themselves as yet another lifestyle accessory for wealthy liberals.  They're clearly intelligent, articulate fellows.  They're also hipster hucksters who add nothing of value to metal or the world.

I agree with this, but I'd caution everyone to note that some posters in this thread never said the liked WITR, only that it is a useful symbol.

I'd say that a symbol that is transparently phony is a bit short on utility.

I guess liberal does sort of "equal" hipster. Liberals seem to me to be people who use the appearance of altruism/goodwill to appear superior to others.

The history of liberalism would suggest that it couldn't be any other way.  Liberalism ushered in the first mass culture/monoculture in human history, yet, at the same time, it has as a fundamental principle the near-deification of the atomized 'unique' individual.  There will always be a fundamental tension - a cognitive dissonance - within liberalism between the desire to uphold the status quo while simultaneously affirming one's difference.  Thus, hipsterism.

December 27, 2008, 02:36:09 PM
Whether they suck or not, they have some good opinions. Much like anyone in the Metal world they lack integrity but I fail how to see that disqualifies them from having credibility when Varg has flip-flopped, also they could be using the little profit they made for their "eco" friendly farm. All I've read is assumptions in this thread, whether or not it is to be true has yet to be seen.

December 27, 2008, 09:29:06 PM
Playing at a show sponsored by a corporation is condradictory to their message but WITTR are comprised of more than one individual so there is a good chance that not all of them are "smart".

That's just an excuse though. I acknowledge the possibility that some members of this band may be exactly who the naysayers claim (hipsters, hippies) but from the interview, it has become clear to me that at least one of them knows what he's talking about and is honest with the band's intentions.

They espouses a philosophy of transcendence that goes beyond your typical liberal politics. Greenism, eco-fascism, left, right ect... are just coating for ideas more primal. Its unfortunate that many cannot go beyond their own social and political coatings while assessing this band.

December 27, 2008, 10:13:22 PM
Even being neutral to this band is probably a bad thing. I do not agree with the belief that their spreading of their mÍme is positive since it is too soft. A simple example: they are openly leftist at their shows which means many more worthless 'initiates' into black metal due to this safe environment. A fan's race and caste are not challenged, their 'toughness' is not challenged and so this a bridge to fashion. It is creating the same 'dysgenics' that the internet did but in real life. *not talking about race exclusively.

Am I crazy or was the best metal only being openly traded when after the realization that we had crossed the point of no return on the virtual ground?

December 27, 2008, 11:16:53 PM
Black Metal, Hessian, "toughness", ect.. are also coating for things that are more real. It seems to me that some people in the underground metal communities are put off by WITTR for the same reason those in the punk/left communities would be put off by Graveland. A willful refusal to look beyond.

December 28, 2008, 05:41:58 AM
Why do we bother with this band that not a single person here has admitted to profoundly liking or caring about?

December 28, 2008, 08:20:59 AM
Wolves in the Throne Room are an excellent band, both musically and ideologically. Their albums occupy the exact middle ground between Drudkh and Ulver's black metal stuff - both bands that are really good.

Their ideology is very complex, more than they are given credit for. Look at the recurring mantras of the band's image, that crop up repeatedly in their interviews: DIY, punk scene, liberal, left-wing, ecoterrorists, etc. Then look at how they embody this in a scene hostile to all of these ideas: They are DIY yet release their music via Southern Lord, they are ecoterrorists who play car-company gigs with Nachtmystium, etc, they are liberal left wingers who give interviews to known hard-right anti-democratic webzines.

Their message is subtle, but it will work on many many people without them even noticing.

December 29, 2008, 12:54:56 PM
Why do we bother with this band that not a single person here has admitted to profoundly liking or caring about?
See Velvet Caccoon for further clarification. They were a favoured whipping boy back in the day.

December 29, 2008, 01:38:36 PM
I dont know what the fuck they think is going on but they aren't Blackmetal. that consists of a bit more than just playing instruments a certain way.

That used to be the case - but the post '95 BM explosion saw fit to put that romantic notion asunder. In the eyes(ears) of many, BM is just a musical style and nothing more...which of course is as painfully ironic as it is false. 

January 05, 2009, 04:07:34 AM
In the eyes(ears) of many, BM is just a musical style and nothing more...which of course is as painfully ironic as it is false. 

Good point. In the eyes of most, every musical style is rock-n-roll with different costumes and more "extreem" technique.

January 15, 2009, 03:44:26 AM

Good point. In the eyes of most, every musical style is rock-n-roll with different costumes and more "extreem" technique.

Because, dammit man, that's what sells!

The public can't latch onto this whole "metal" thing!

What are you, mad?  Everyone knows black metal is just Def Leppard, just with KISS' makeup!

January 18, 2009, 03:49:22 AM
 Now, and I don't mean to sound like a cretinous cunt, but surely as the band in question sound practically fucking identical to Burzum, that should be the main reason they are ignored?

I haven't been here for a bloody long time but, back in the muthorr fuckking day, there were standards about bands discussed here. Is this act remotely Black Metal in any other way than that they sound like another Burzum clone? Hmmmmm. No. Their ideology is the kind of crap that makes it ok for "scenesters" (or whatever the hey you people call such self-concerned fucktards) to say, "Like, that Pete Beste book has some cool shit in it, the most evil one out of Gallgoloth is a gay... and listen to these cats... they like the same politics as I do...." Balls to that shit. When the fuck has genuine Black Metal ever been for these people? Man, I fucking hate Metal on the whole for it's tedious musical trappings and also because of the kind of dull human shit that flock to the subculture, but one thing Black Metal had was a spirit that was untouchable except by those who "got it"... and not many ever did.

I suggest people forget about this kind of post-modern nonsense and go back to listening to classics by folk such as Beherit, Autopsy, Morbid Angel and Von. And then when you're done with that listen to 'Smell of Female' by The Cramps on repeat. It fucking works wonders...