Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Decline of mass-produced metal?

Re: Decline of mass-produced metal?
November 14, 2008, 09:42:29 PM
I think mainstream metal was on the decline because hardcore was overtaking it. However, the show Metalocalypse caused a temporary surge in death metal which should decline soon. Another thing to be considered is that there is this speed metal revival occurring right now that might pick up momentum and increase the amount of metal bands as well. But what I think people are overlooking is that metal is spreading around the world like never before, which would obviously cause a drastic increase in the number of bands. Even with all these variables making the future of metal hard to predict, remember that no trend lasts forever and hipsters will move on.

November 14, 2008, 11:31:50 PM
Even with all these variables making the future of metal hard to predict, remember that no trend lasts forever and hipsters will move on.

There's evidence that suggests the corporate chaperones supplying the image have begun to move on to greener and trendier pastures.

In a hilariously similar story: CLICK

November 15, 2008, 04:55:19 PM
bunch of numbers, I agree that the graph doesn't mean shit. All it shows is the number of releases on Metal Archives for each year; which it does accurately. "The graph shows metal releases registered on Metal Archives which is supposed to be representative of metal as a whole. As it is only a sample of the total population then we can expect intrinsic bias in the result, hence an intrinsic need for error bars." Error bars are only needed if we treat it as representing the population as a whole. I don't, for aforementioned reasons.