Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Legions Archive Metal Film Project

Septicemia

Re: Dark Legions Archive Metal Film Project
December 30, 2008, 12:07:52 PM
READ Here is a first draft of some text that could be read for a medium length art/informational film or serve as a conceptual outline for another type of film. It's unfinished and  the individual Death/Black metal sections could use some filling out. The grammar is poor, and each idea is a "cell" that would serve as a part of the entire narrative.

posted here for dissection

Transcendence:
Underground Metal

[visual introduction]

Modern man has lost his footing. From the Renaissance, technology, science, and destructive, purportedly humanistic ideals have been civilization's battery for man's descent into the abyss.

This death spiral has been readily observed by historical intelligent elites as decadent and immoral - attributable to increasing societal breakdown, threatening to collapse altogether.

Art is a monument to the eternal. Since the decline of tradition, great art has stood as a constant, representing that which is transcendent, beyond the mundane of individualities and towards things of true meaning.

---interlude: Bach {invention, fugue, violin sonata}
[black screen]

In the past few centuries, with the rise of individually attributed art, downward trends of European times have had their counterpoint in their musical heroes, expressing important truths essential to their time through their art.

The musical classicism of the late 1700s and early 1800s is generally upheld in the modern world as one of the greatest triumphs of human invention, and the standard to which all other music is compared.

The formal keepers and inheritors of that classical tradition have suffered just as society as a whole has suffered to the modern sickness. Modern music since the acme of classicism has slid into the hole of cognitive dissonance and depressed, anti-art attributable to the modern sickness.

---John Cage or George Crumb

The decline of academic music has been inversely proportional to the that of popular music. Many works of artistic popular music surpass the spiritual qualities of their formally processed academic siblings.
--
[Metal is an aesthetic subgroup of popular music that was spawned by the postindustrial era.]

Metal in its earliest modern form was performed by bands of individuals, generally men, and sounded an amalgamation of European folk, classical music and revisionist American blues.

"Gravitas": utilizing modernized guitar technology, sustain transformed a portable, affordable percussive performance instrument into a dynamic and resonant one capable of tremendous volume and weight.

As society imposed structure on humanity and the patterns of nature, metal fought back, asserting the primal and the basic to be uncontrollable and inevitable.
[ONLY DEATH IS REAL]

I
Distribution

Experience formed the basis for metal's nihilism. All else was deconstructed as fabrication, in order to hasten a return to a higher state of reality beyond the self and it's illusion.

The subgenre Death metal embodied such a physical rejection of modern morality.

---Morbid Angel

Musically, it borrowed modal and chromatic techniques from Western music of antiquity. Similar to classical-influenced progressive rock, repetition was kept at a minimum so as to not limit the musical journey.

The result was an abrasive Mass; a structural framework that channeled a complex of mood-states for a dream-like narrative.
--
Death, Satan, gore, and the occult were death metal's gestural inversions of past symbols so that had succumbed to the Hegelian and Marxist type thinking employed by the agents of corruption and industrialism [punk].

The effect of the philosophical hammer on the soul was damaging; once the potential of death metal was realized as a musical scene, its quality soon fizzled out and few artists managed to create works equal to their earliest output.

As an idea, the form of death metal maintained a beauty but was first and foremost a language of destruction. {not sustainable}

II
Globalization

"Diversity", "World Peace", "Democracy": Looking to antiquity, before Industrialism, and before Christianity, to Pagan times, Black Metal dug for a means to return to a higher morality.

Bearing a close resemblance to folk musically, repetition became a method of evoking a meditative elation. Taking this to its logical extreme, a single riff would comprise an entire piece, similar to the song structure of Eastern spiritual music.

Like Death Metal, it beheld the awesome power of the natural world, but it saw this power as beyond pure phenomena, and part of a unifying principle of existence deserving worship and dedication.

---Graveland
--
-
CODA (as of yet unwritten)

"credits"
final: Burzum, Det Som En Gang Var

RECOMMENDED LISTENING:
DEATH METAL
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Demilich - Nespithe
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Sepultura - Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation

BLACK METAL
Burzum - Complete Discography
Ildjarn - Det Frysende Nordariket
Emperor - In the Nightside's Eclipse
Enslaved - Vikinglr Veldi
Graveland - The Celtic Winter
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return

January 05, 2009, 03:44:28 AM
I might suggest that the project doesn't cut off more than it can chew.

Establish that metal is Late Romanticist in outlook, and talk about what Romanticism (pre-metal) had going for it.

Then talk more about metal.

Let conclusions be drawn later.

January 05, 2009, 04:27:13 PM
I might suggest that the project doesn't cut off more than it can chew.

Establish that metal is Late Romanticist in outlook, and talk about what Romanticism (pre-metal) had going for it.

Essentially create one piece (cell) of the idea and see how it turns out. If it sucks then continuing with the rest of the project will be a waste. The idea is good but might not be manageable at the current time. I'd also aim to not alienate the audience, choose words carefully: maintain meaning but don't be overly heavy handed, otherwise the message will be wasted on most people (not our goal, imo).

How much of the practical side of shooting a film has been considered? I have an email (2 years old) that had a brief discussion of equipment, I can post if that would be helpful. The film needs a script, shooting equipment (camera, mic etc) and then editing equipment (computer + software). The first part is the cheapest, the second will be the most expensive (the software can be downloaded). I used to have a copy of video editing software and could potentially get another copy, I also know someone that is quite skilled at video/music editing. I'm happy to accept emails/ private messages to further discussion.

January 07, 2009, 01:39:46 PM
Good point.

Aiming to make a 4-8 minute youtube fodder video would get the word out, and allow you to scrounge funding for a full-length.

January 07, 2009, 04:29:23 PM
Good point.

Aiming to make a 4-8 minute youtube fodder video would get the word out, and allow you to scrounge funding for a full-length.

On Finance:
I had the first part in mind but the second part is a good suggestion too but might be tricky. We could try directly asking for a grant from an arts council if we get a serious video made, or perhaps from some other benefactor. I don't see this as necessary but it is a worthy possibility.

We could also try to advance the idea without serious funding: perhaps a serious attempt at a short video may encourage those in the 'industry' to work with us, show them what we want/mean then ask them if they would 'help'. When I say help, I'm thinking that someone like Candlelight may be willing to provide a reliable point of contact with some of their bands; if the project strongly supports them there might be a mutual advertising oppportunity (no money changing hands). If we deal with a business then we'll need to think in business terms too, they are unlikely to do something for nothing; I'd be happy to work on a project like this without getting paid but I'm not a business. Another good contact to have in an interview would be Kieth Kahn-Harris, despite how good or bad his book is, he ought to have some interesting views plus his own fame seems to be on the increase. We could interview a bunch of nobodies that have an extremely intelligent viewpoint about metal but their lack of reputation is unlikely to promote our film(s).

Getting started (another idea):
We could (should?) invite people from internet-land to go out and shoot their own metal documentary, a short film of 4 - 6 minutes as you suggest, then we can try to figure out which videos/people have the best ideas and see if anything is worth taking further. If a mass of people upload videos to youtube then the DLA admin team/film-leaders could sift through the posted videos and make a decision about which ones to continue. We should realise that our members are spread out around the World (mainly US/Europe) and use that to our advantage, we don't need everyone to be in the same room. This basically means that  people from Texas, India, the UK could create separate short videos, upload them, then they can be spliced together to create a single/ whole product. Creating a long documentary is a big task, breaking down into manageable chunks is a good idea, funding/collaboration is also a good idea. So encouraging forum members + others that drop by to create videos might get us started. Thoughts?

January 08, 2009, 04:09:06 PM
We could (should?) invite people from internet-land to go out and shoot their own metal documentary, a short film of 4 - 6 minutes as you suggest, then we can try to figure out which videos/people have the best ideas and see if anything is worth taking further. If a mass of people upload videos to youtube then the DLA admin team/film-leaders could sift through the posted videos and make a decision about which ones to continue. We should realise that our members are spread out around the World (mainly US/Europe) and use that to our advantage, we don't need everyone to be in the same room. This basically means that  people from Texas, India, the UK could create separate short videos, upload them, then they can be spliced together to create a single/ whole product. Creating a long documentary is a big task, breaking down into manageable chunks is a good idea, funding/collaboration is also a good idea. So encouraging forum members + others that drop by to create videos might get us started. Thoughts?

If we had a metalhead in each country willing to interview that country's bands on video, it would remain to some central authority to edit it into a film.

I think it makes sense to have an outline first.

January 08, 2009, 04:42:11 PM
If we had a metalhead in each country willing to interview that country's bands on video, it would remain to some central authority to edit it into a film.

I think it makes sense to have an outline first.

The centralization point isn't much of an issue, imo. With sites like rapidshare and megaupload we can potentially share large files with ease, low quality videos can be youtube-d as a proof of concept. Although I'll admit that while the transfer of data should be easy enough, the actual editing process will be trickier.

I think the outline is good (how could I sanely disagree?) but I think my suggestion may work as a precursor to the 'real' documentary. Some of the material might actually be worth using for real too. I hope the idea provides a stimulus for people to get started, I'm certainly milling ideas about where to get a camera and potentially do a shoot. Short videos will be a proof of concept and if nothing more will be a point of advertising for the DLA.

An outline can and should be developed, making necessary revisions as we progress. Some headway as already been made, ASBO has raised some of the most sensible suggestions of an achieveable outcome: don't bite off more than we can chew, show link between metal and romanticism, chart metal history from a non-hipster POV.

January 09, 2009, 05:40:55 AM
[\\\:|:\\:\\\::\\:'s outline looks cool. I have very slowly been working on my own with the emphasis on it being instructive. A remote, collaborative effort - which we all see to yield potentially the best results - would benefit from the practicality of something that people (who are interested in the project) can take a look at and choose what area they  would be able to make the best contribution to.

At the same time: 0113581321345589, your idea of something short to get us moving is also very important.

A 5 minute bio/discographical on Morbid Angel or Burzum sounds like a good test as the existing media on such subjects speaks a lot for itself, enabling sharp and concise commentary with little meddling in the method and form of presentation of the 'overall concept' at this stage, beyond the basic ideas contributed by [\\\:|:\\:\\\::\\:] earlier in the thread. Still would be a valid contribution under the banner of Dark Legion's Archive: The Motion Picture.

I am currently looking around for a high-specification computer that would be able to handle heavy multimedia editing. If any computer nerds amongst you can recommend a good machine setup, it would be really appreciated. I'm confused on matters such as how much RAM I would realistically need and what is the best out of core-duo/quad-core/i7 processors (because otherwise I will just end up going for the highest/fastest available when I could be saving hundreds of £'s). Which manufacturers are the best and most reliable? Graphics cards? My current system is Windows 98, running on AMD 700mhz with 128MB of RAM, which is fairly pathetic and doesn't let me do much beyond Microsoft Paint.

Another thing I'm planning to do is get in contact with bands from England. I'm sure they're not inundated with requests to be interviewed on film by a leading Heavy Metal website, and would probably appreciate the exposure. The problem here is finding a band worthy enough. If anybody is close to one of bands/musicians interviewed by ANUS, they could request contact details from the ANUS team and pursue them for this project, or just message their MyAIDS page. I'm surprised Antii Boman never got interviewed as I seem to recall him posting here a few years ago. Now there's somebody for you FNUSers to hunt down.

January 09, 2009, 06:55:56 PM
I believe there is a text interview with Antti Boman somewhere, of yet I know of no video interview.

I am currently looking around for a high-specification computer that would be able to handle heavy multimedia editing. If any computer nerds amongst you can recommend a good machine setup, it would be really appreciated. I'm confused on matters such as how much RAM I would realistically need and what is the best out of core-duo/quad-core/i7 processors (because otherwise I will just end up going for the highest/fastest available when I could be saving hundreds of £'s). Which manufacturers are the best and most reliable? Graphics cards? My current system is Windows 98, running on AMD 700mhz with 128MB of RAM, which is fairly pathetic and doesn't let me do much beyond Microsoft Paint.

We prefer the term geeks, I'm like so offended!!1

Quad core is supposed to be better than duo in that it can do more things at once, this is true if you have many things to do at once but I really can't say if that is definitely true for video editing. I'd say go for quad core at least, help to future proof yourself. I don't know much about i7 but it would be a fair wager to say they are supposed to improve upon quad core, perhaps you can find a computer magazine like pc shopper or browse the net for technical reviews. Ultimately though, a faster processor just means your the calculations performed by the video editing program as performed quicker; for what you are doing the processing time won't be much of an issue. Your current computer will be ueber slow compared to modern ones but there won't be too much difference between newer ones. My understanding of video editing programs is that they like to dump alot of the video in RAM, so the more the better: 1GB minimum is fairly standard, that will work but 2GB or 4GB would be nicer. I doubt you will need much more. pcnextday.co.uk have a fair range of desktops at reasonable prices, check them against novatech.co.uk and dabs.co.uk.

Software wise, all computers come with vista these days. That will work fine. Windows also has a free video editing program: Windows Movie Maker. That can handle the basics and may be enough for what we want to do, a friend of mine recommends Adobe Premier. I'm sure it is a superior program but it has a superior pricetag, so you will need to hunt for a torrent.

I'm also in the UK so perhaps a collaboration will work.

January 09, 2009, 07:38:39 PM
I'm also in the UK so perhaps a collaboration will work.

Excellent! I hope so, because all of the Brits I've been in contact with from so far from ANUS and Corrupt have turned out to be pussies. And thanks for the advice. The IT manager at my work recommended getting a computer with a solid-state hard drive, which has no moving parts and therefore can access data much faster than the standard ones.

January 09, 2009, 08:21:20 PM
The IT manager at my work recommended getting a computer with a solid-state hard drive, which has no moving parts and therefore can access data much faster than the standard ones.

Sure, it will be noticeably faster and then some; however, solid state technology is much more expensive. It would be nice but not necessary. Another argument for solid-state is that the hard drive should last longer, though I have no data (only intuition) to back that up. I believe most of the large storage ipods/mp3 players have conventional hard drives but large capacity solid state data storage is expensive. After a quick look on dabs.co.uk, I see that a 32GB solid-state drive is ~£150. That is a few DVDs worth of data but alternatively you could buy a conventional 500GB for as cheap as ~£40. I really don't think it is necessary but if you were doing serious video editing, perhaps as a job, then the more expensive device might be worth the price.

On the subject of video cameras:
It is possible to hire, and perhaps borrow for free, a video camera from a local library / school / university or from a local arts group. Companies and arts groups will likely hire the equipment, if you are a university student or library member then perhaps you can borrow one for free. Otherwise a cheap video camera, and external mic, would be a sound investment.

January 12, 2009, 04:32:03 AM
On the subject of video cameras:
It is possible to hire, and perhaps borrow for free, a video camera from a local library / school / university or from a local arts group. Companies and arts groups will likely hire the equipment, if you are a university student or library member then perhaps you can borrow one for free. Otherwise a cheap video camera, and external mic, would be a sound investment.

I think there are a few local arts groups, specifically dedicated to keeping niggaz away from gun and knife crime on the streets, who I should look into contacting once this thing is well under way. My street credibility(!) could assist in this matter.

April 08, 2010, 07:31:42 PM
Shall this concept be revived, what with the recent rebirth of hessian.org, and apparent growing interest in ANUS, the DLA, deathmetal.org, and associated websites?

April 11, 2010, 01:25:58 PM
Shall this concept be revived, what with the recent rebirth of hessian.org, and apparent growing interest in ANUS, the DLA, deathmetal.org, and associated websites?

I think it's a great idea. I am currently out of range with my roles as Spokesperson for ANUS, CORRUPT and AMERIKA, but I think we should get some new blood in the organization... at least, that way they will be recognized for their contributions instead of roles on message boards.

April 11, 2010, 04:21:44 PM
I typed "Hessian" into YouTube, and all but one video was about the Hessian Mercenaries.  The one video which wasn't was "Heavy Metal Parking Lot".