Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Absu - Absu (2009)

Absu - Absu (2009)
February 02, 2009, 04:12:37 PM
I think they're trying to continue from The Eyes of Ioldanach. Tara got too Mercyful Fate for me.

Technique is good... abandoment of black metal except to augment technique is high.

Listening now.

Re: Absu - Absu (2009)
February 02, 2009, 04:23:35 PM
Opinion after 1st complete listening:
1.Very confusing listen, many disparate elements.
2.Frivolous use of Moog-sounding keyboards.
3.Throwbacks to heavy metal and speed metal consistently remind me of Arch Enemy, in areas.
4.Interesting experimentation with melodic phrasing.
5.They've discovered the dissonant chord gimmick, as well as the indie/emo/shoegaze chord gimmick.
6.Structurally, despite the disparate elements, it seems alot of work went into this.

February 03, 2009, 02:06:27 PM
The keyboards and Scandinavian melodies threw me back to their two first albums. It seems like they are wrapping up all their styles, from death metal influences to the Slayer and Kreator worship to the high speed massacre of "Tara". The best parts are the ones that sound fresh - the "abandonment of black metal" parts. The least likeable things are obsession to studio trickery and high production values and some technical "budget riffs" (I'm thinking of Death's "Human" and Averse Sefira's latest)instead of just coming to rip your head off. I miss the times when Absu did not sound that professional.

To me they still hold the Texas throne, but I'm not sure about the direction. Needs more listens!

February 03, 2009, 04:22:57 PM
After the first listen I'm unimpressed. I find Tara enjoyable so figured I'd find something good in this. Hmmmm, I'll try again later.

February 04, 2009, 07:03:29 PM
I think this album is their best since The Sun Of Tiphareth, and on par with Eyes Of...
1.Very confusing listen, many disparate elements.
2.Frivolous use of Moog-sounding keyboards.
3.Throwbacks to heavy metal and speed metal consistently remind me of Arch Enemy, in areas.
4.Interesting experimentation with melodic phrasing.
5.They've discovered the dissonant chord gimmick, as well as the indie/emo/shoegaze chord gimmick.
6.Structurally, despite the disparate elements, it seems alot of work went into this.
That's the most undescriptive post I've read all year... what do you even mean? What you say is so ambiguous it's comical.

I believe that Proscriptor has tightened up his band musically, as evidenced by an interview I read with him. I've noticed this especially in the more intense songs how the drums and vocals work together as a contrast to the guitars. I would hardly say that this album sounds no more professional than Barathrum V.I.T.R.I.O.L. Just because the drums aren't as high in the mix as the previous two full-lengths doesn't mean the production still doesn't sound great.

February 04, 2009, 08:02:41 PM

That's the most undescriptive post I've read all year... what do you even mean? What you say is so ambiguous it's comical.

Much obliged.  I thought it was pretty straight forward.  If you desire a less "ambiguous" opinion, I think the album structurally lacks cohesion.  While for example, some of the individual melodies are phrased in more chaotic and complex ways, and as a whole the album seems to have improved technically, the various elements in this album seem haphazardly arranged.

For one, the keyboard use just comes out of nowhere, unrelated to anything else in the piece.  Secondly, the heavy metal and speed metal throwbacks that have been in their work since Sun of Tiphareth sound very "modernized" to me on this album, as in very focused on intensity and "groove" in spots, thus sounding much like Arch Enemy at times, a band that for all of it's labelling as "melodic death metal", is rock music with intensified speed/heavy metal stylings and harsh vocals.

Throwing other elements into the fray, they use the dissonant chords that black metal bands such as Averse Sefira, Deathspell Omega, and others have used recently.  Unfortunately, when this happens it's less like Averse Sefira might use it, it ends up sounding inane and without anchor to the rest of the piece.  There was also a section involving the sort of indie-rockish chord voicings you'd expect to hear from Pelican.

It just seems to me like the elements don't work together, and look instead like attempts to modernize rather than expand their art.

February 10, 2009, 05:38:20 PM
After some repeated listening at the prompting of a friend, I have come to the conclusion that this release has a beauty in it's structure, however, the elements it uses to construct it individually can be quite distasteful.  I feel it occupies a similar space to Deeds of Flesh's latest work in that regard.

February 13, 2009, 07:03:05 AM
I just received this album as a promo about a week ago. Repeated listening has made me come to a few conclusions.

It is oddly melodic (guitar-wise) for Absu, and as Helmholtz pointed out, the keyboards were quite surprising upon first listening (though I have come to enjoy their usage). This is very unconventional for Absu, which I believe works in their favor and against them simultaneously. I can see the arguments that it sounds too modern as valid, but I hear very much of their old sound mixed in with what "Tara" was doing.

That being said, the opening track is a definite winner, as is the second track. Magic(K) Square Cipher is also notable, very interesting melodic ideas. So far, this album gets a B from me.

February 13, 2009, 08:58:06 AM
I just received this album as a promo about a week ago. Repeated listening has made me come to a few conclusions.

It is oddly melodic (guitar-wise) for Absu, and as Helmholtz pointed out, the keyboards were quite surprising upon first listening (though I have come to enjoy their usage). This is very unconventional for Absu, which I believe works in their favor and against them simultaneously. I can see the arguments that it sounds too modern as valid, but I hear very much of their old sound mixed in with what "Tara" was doing.

That being said, the opening track is a definite winner, as is the second track. Magic(K) Square Cipher is also notable, very interesting melodic ideas. So far, this album gets a B from me.

The first song absolutely has some interesting melodic ideas going in it.  You're certainly right about the inclusion of older albums' elements, I sense shades of Sun of Tiphareth as well as Third Storm of Cythraul.  I can appreciate this album, it's just difficult to listen to for me, because of the more modern elements.  I sense the word "progressive" lurking somewhere behind the music, in the most derogatory way I can mean that.

February 14, 2009, 02:18:34 AM
I'm listening to the first track of this album.

They are playing too much with different styles, in my opinion.  It's Black Metal - no, it's Power Metal with symphonic overtones - Black Metal again - NO, now it's post-hardcore Darkthrone-wannabe Blackened Death Thrash.

BLEEDING CHRIST, IT'S IN 5/4!  "PROG"!

That came to absolutely nothing, and now it's slightly "Old School", in my opinion.  Not too bad at the

Shit, it just cut out to replace some alright Black Metal with some palm muting and Classical music.

That, too, came to nothing.  There was absolutely no point for that short-lived meander through bollocks.  Back to the "Old School" style.

And, after a short Beherit-style flangéd cybervoice bridge, they're back to the beginning, which, coincidentally, happens to be the end.

Certainly not a wasted four minutes and eight seconds, but if you're going to try out different styles, do it on an EP, not a full album.  Too much going on with too few logical links between the different ideas.

February 15, 2009, 07:31:53 AM
This album is a fucking turd.

Like the new Cynic, it's a fucking turd.

Why is it a fucking turd? I'll tell you why it's a fucking turd: no one decided to take a direction, so they threw in everything that was popular in the past, and then overplayed it.

SO IT WAS IN BIG PRIMARY COLORED LETTERS LIKE ADVERTISING!
SO NO ONE IN THE CROWD COULD MISS THE POINT!

Fucking turd, this album stinks.