Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

NASA needs names for its new space station node

NASA needs names for its new space station node
February 21, 2009, 06:12:31 AM
ATTENTION METALHEADS WORLDWIDE

The American space agency is naming a new piece of its space station, called a node. They are letting Internet users vote on what that name should be.

Most people are ignoring it. Metalheads are not. If we act together, we can make them name it after something close to the surly heart of every metalhead... SLAYER.

Go here to vote:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/name_ISS/index.html

Select the last option, "Suggest Your Own:" and type SLAYER in the box below it, then click Vote.

All of us voting for SLAYER shows that there's a metalhead culture that cannot be ignored -- and possibly, could get a piece of space history named after that groundbreaking metal band.

Original article: Vote metal when naming space station

reading the rules for that makes me extremely doubtful it would be implemented, even with a majority vote.

that being said, i voted, and i think everyone else should as well. "it might not matter" is a weakling's excuse.

incidentally, for anyone who doesn't know it, this is a very good site for browsing through astronomical photography: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

Voted, and promoting this wherever I can.

By the way, what's your infatuation with Slayer? I agree that they're a great band, but given the other content of the site they seem kind of out of place. Or is it just a unifying symbol that can appeal to all reaches of metal fans?

By the way, what's your infatuation with Slayer? I agree that they're a great band, but given the other content of the site they seem kind of out of place. Or is it just a unifying symbol that can appeal to all reaches of metal fans?

It must be the latter. I have questioned the same thing for years.

They are foundational in their influence on death metal, so I don't think they're out of place. They're probably the closest thing to a well-known metal band that embodies the truly war-like spirit of metal. so THAT is the unifying aspect of it: "if there's one thing that all metalheads can agree on, it's listening to slayer."
Remember the national day of slayer?! :)

How does that make them suitable for naming a space station after them?

They are foundational in their influence on death metal, so I don't think they're out of place. They're probably the closest thing to a well-known metal band that embodies the truly war-like spirit of metal. so THAT is the unifying aspect of it: "if there's one thing that all metalheads can agree on, it's listening to slayer."
Remember the national day of slayer?! :)

If there is one message from modern mankind to universe, it should be along the lines of:

Stricken To Live Hell On Earth
Shackled And Bound We Lie
Praise Of Death Lifes A Dream
Were Only Living To Die

Old Slayer is simply fucking amazing because it disrupts the whole old vs. new metal dichotomy.

By the way, what's your infatuation with Slayer?

Quality music and the stylistic origins of modern death metal.

Old Slayer is simply fucking amazing because it disrupts the whole old vs. new metal dichotomy.
this.

If minorities get to name things after their heroes, and Christians get to name everything after Jesus, and women keep naming places after feelings, we can name a fucking space station after Slayer.

There's no more uniting symbol for the type of metal I like than Slayer. It's not Iron Maiden, but Iron Maiden fans can like it. It's not Burzum, but most Burzum fans like Slayer (even though Slayer were Jews). So it unites us but doesn't compromise.

better to illustrate an honest and warlike attitude towards exploration than all the hand-holding choad-sniffing that's current. "Venture," "Serenity".... if any other species is looking on from the outer edges of the cosmos they must think us not only weak, but liars as well. as for the view from below, what's serene for one people may be extinction for another. but they can both agree it's a slaying.

My third day voting, those top names are really laughable.

I wonder what alien would think about the human race after the names we give our space stations?

Most likely shrug us off as some weak race.

Something tells me 4chan beat you to it.

You can name a new animal species after Slayer or something metal because they're always doing these types of things for new species. The problem is that it usually costs a few grand for it to happen. There's actually a monkey officially called the GoldenPalace.com monkey. http://www.goldenpalaceevents.com/auctions/gpmonkey01.php

Slayer is still not in the top ten choices. Come on, people!

We should name our space stations after what inspires us. SLAYER counts. All the doubters in this thread seem like insecure people looking for an excuse to do nothing but sound profound for criticizing others.

"Oh, you're still trying to make life good? You idiot, life is awful and we're all defeated. Accept that or you threaten me."