Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Beherit - Engram

Beherit - Engram
April 08, 2009, 10:24:04 AM
Having heard this in full, I can offer some thoughts. It has epic all over it, but in the way HLTO did, which is epic through combining small parts together. Hence the comparisons.

It is not for people who want black metal to try to top itself in style; the changes are incremental (jkaizen). However, the content shows why this album is worth paying attention to.

I know it has leaked, but plan to purchase a copy. It's my "vote." Black metal has been stale for too long while people have dicked around with trying to improve form, but what is required to improve form is content that invents frontiers and gives us an angle toward them. This CD does that.

The final track, not reviewed on our preview, is an epic doom track that seems to go nowhere until you pay attention to the layering.

Beherit returns in triumph, if you ask me. Even though most people will freak out and oppose this CD, that is because they are looking at appearance not structure/design, and this will lead them to conclude new Beherit is the same as other stuff. However, they couldn't be more wrong.

April 9th is a good day for good news from Finland, it appears.

Re: Beherit - Engram
April 08, 2009, 10:39:48 AM
In a sense, this album reminds me of Monotheist.  At the core, the composition is excellent, and it's a good return after a long absence.  But, as with Monotheist, it carries the same occasional aesthetic problem. Someone might on a passing listen say "Hey, I didn't know Satyricon/Dark Funeral released a new album!".  Don't dismiss it because of surface aesthetics though, anyone doing so would be making quite the mistake, and missing on a structurally beautiful album.

Quite frankly, I rather enjoy this, and intend to buy a copy.

April 08, 2009, 02:31:56 PM
After a couple of listens I'd say Drawing Down the Moon > Engram > Oath of Black Blood

The comparison to Monotheist is rather fitting, but Engram is a stronger release that doesn't sag in the middle.  I think the first and last track on this album make it worthy of purchase by themselves, but the album certainly works very well as a whole.  It flows very smoothly.  Also, I don't quite understand some of the talk about the aesthetic.  I didn't find any fault with it, nor did I think of Satyricon or Dark Funeral when listening to it.  If anything, I thought it sounded like Beherit meets Filosofem.

April 08, 2009, 02:35:10 PM
I didn't find any fault with it, nor did I think of Satyricon or Dark Funeral when listening to it.  If anything, I thought it sounded like Beherit meets Filosofem.

Filosofem is there as an aesthetic influence, I'll agree.

I only referenced Satyricon and Dark Funeral because of the occasional shortness of the melodies, and the use of tonality that was sometimes closer to hardcore or speed metal than black metal.  It's an offhand remark though, only a first impression.

April 08, 2009, 11:42:01 PM
This album is another proof, to me, that in black metal, those who still feel like there's something to be said should write like there's no tomorow, (and publish less) they and the ideas should burn off, die, extinguish, eventually revive in other forms, finally gather the pieces, themselves or somebody else, doesn't matter.  Engram is on the edge.

April 09, 2009, 01:26:10 AM
Amazing that after all these years, no one seemed to have effectively developed the ideas that Beherit started, until they came back to do it themselves.

Nile577

April 09, 2009, 02:21:26 AM
However, the content shows why this album is worth paying attention to.

I know it has leaked, but plan to purchase a copy. It's my "vote." Black metal has been stale for too long while people have dicked around with trying to improve form, but what is required to improve form is content that invents frontiers and gives us an angle toward them.

Engram = OH NOES Scientology? :\

April 09, 2009, 07:24:01 AM

We need something more evil than Satan and Hitler.

Beherit - Engram review.

It's the release date, April 9, and this is our official review: we fucking loved it.

April 09, 2009, 11:45:59 AM
First two tracks sound boring like Gorgoroth after Destroyer. Tunes are really just too intuitive to enjoy. No Filosofem here nor HLTO nor DDTM. Pagan Moon is pretty good.

April 09, 2009, 04:56:14 PM
However, the content shows why this album is worth paying attention to.

I know it has leaked, but plan to purchase a copy. It's my "vote." Black metal has been stale for too long while people have dicked around with trying to improve form, but what is required to improve form is content that invents frontiers and gives us an angle toward them.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/374487/memory/275823/Physiological-aspects-of-long-term-memory#ref386910

Engram is the physiological change based on memory.

April 09, 2009, 05:01:05 PM
For sale:

Spinefarm
Amazon (not until April 14th)
Fucking expensive: 17.99 €/$22.49

Please post links to respectable distros offering this title if you come across them.

April 10, 2009, 04:59:03 AM
Dis-order sells it for 13.50, but ships from Holland, so maybe not so useful an information for you americans, since Spinefarm has no shipping costs.

April 10, 2009, 07:04:17 AM
Terrorizer: Has it been an easy transition to slide back into the metal world? Is there anything you're looking forward to? Anything you dread?

Holocausto: That's true, but what's so significant happening in metal music for the last ten years? There's not much innovation, except the sad fact that quite amount of metalheads moved to entertainment business. Hipsters flood over bulletin boards and black metal bands sounds like happy carnival melody music? I respect only handful of newer bands and talking about your metal world in general, I would rather go back to my cave.

Terrorizer Beherit interview

For those who are curious about such things, this is why bands like Beherit lead: the people behind them are realists, intelligent, and also care about the romance of life -- such as producing great art, art which values intensity of experience over safety; Satanic art, not God-will-save-your-dumb-ass art.

I wonder how many Beherit fans have read Zarathustra.

April 10, 2009, 08:21:28 PM
This album is really growing on me.  The more I listen to it the faster it is becoming my favorite Beherit release.  I hope more bands begin adopting this layered style of black metal.

April 10, 2009, 10:59:08 PM
Play.com is a UK shop but they claim to have free shipping.
Here's a pre order for cheaper than I've found at Plastic head, which also lists it but isn't 'in stock' until the 13th. Wish I could account for quality but the low price might be an indicator of that.
http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/16/40/-/9404536/Engram/Product.html?searchtype=genre