Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Deathcore/Death Metal

Deathcore/Death Metal
June 21, 2009, 01:13:04 AM
I finally get it now. I'm starting to understand the difference between hardcore-ness and death metal. I was listening to Suicide Silence just because I had never really listened to that mainstream of Deathcore. And, all of a sudden, I just understood why Death Metal is actually music with structure and feeling and Deathcore is just hardcore riffs thrown together to "sound" cool as opposed to being practical structurally.
I've been studying Death Metal for a long time and I have just made a leap of progress. I was wondering if anyone else was willing to comment on Deathcore vs. Death Metal and related acts.

Re: Deathcore/Death Metal
June 21, 2009, 08:09:21 AM
Most deathcore doesn't actually have much real hardcore influence but rather borrows from tough guy moshXcore like Hatebreed. For the most part, "deathcore" seems to be death metal stripped of its intricacies with metalcore structure and unnecessary breakdowns that only serve as mosh parts.

June 27, 2009, 02:31:55 AM
Deathcore is like taxidermy death metal:

-It's made of a dead animal that was very much alive.
-All of the form and fur, but none of the original living function.
-Leads to heads filled with glass eyes.
-Looks cool at first, but then its owner gets tired of it, then sells it, and it gets used as a kitschy piece of furniture. In this case, a coaster.

ozz

June 27, 2009, 07:35:27 AM
the only 'deathcore' album I've come across that's actually what I'd consider... ::gasp:: GOOD... is Sweden's Burst.

Burst(SWE) - "Lazarus Bird" is a actually a damn good album, though to their credit they're more progressive metal with hardcore vocals, not wholly dissimilar to Neurosis. 

But yeah, death metal fucking destroys all other genres of music... with the sole exception of some essential 80s thrash.

July 31, 2009, 06:53:18 AM
IMHO: Deathcore is just faggots who TRY to play death metal!

July 31, 2009, 01:56:25 PM
for me Deathcore create from they own ideology want make different sound and this happen in coincidence

lol wut.

This is old news though. When you think about it, combining death metal plus hardcore sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, it isn't, because the scenesters have stolen hardcore's good name and raped it of all it was worth.

July 31, 2009, 05:08:56 PM
This is old news though. When you think about it, combining death metal plus hardcore sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, it isn't, because the scenesters have stolen hardcore's good name and raped it of all it was worth.
Definately true. Lots of bands as of recently have started with deathcore or have evolved into it, such as Cryptopsy. I really hate deathcore.

July 31, 2009, 09:18:04 PM
the scenesters have stolen hardcore's good name

Hardcore had a good name?

Someone just made me watch a Psycroptic video.  I'm not buying the singer's toughguy act.  I'm not buying their distortion.

It's something-- what it is may even have merit from a mathrock perspective-- but it's not metal.

August 01, 2009, 12:26:45 AM

Hardcore had a good name?

In the sense that it used to be quality music, yes. What with the older bands from the early to mid 1980s all over the world, and even a very select few today.

August 01, 2009, 10:09:17 AM
What do you mean by that?  I can see Black Flag and DK but other than that...?  Misfits?

This shit ain't hardcore.  It's baseball-cap-wearing Avenged Sevenfold wannabes.  Note to anyone in doubt: curling the brim of your cap around into a C shape doesn't make you look hard.

August 01, 2009, 11:00:57 AM
Well, taking into account my personal bias for well done hardcore punk, I'd say Bad Brains, Minor Threat, the Circle Jerks' first two albums, Fear, Discharge, The Exploited, Die Kreuzen, Anti-Cimex, Ratos De Porao, Disfear, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Sick of it All, Raw Power, and the Germs are all of good to great quality.

For modern bands, Pisschrist and Venomous Concept are ones that have interested me.

August 01, 2009, 12:46:51 PM
Someone just made me watch a Psycroptic video.  I'm not buying the singer's toughguy act.  I'm not buying their distortion.

It's something-- what it is may even have merit from a mathrock perspective-- but it's not metal.

I have The Isle of Disenchantment by them, which I like, but that's all I've heard. I'm not sure if I really understand the concept of deathcore and I kind of vaguely understand what metalcore is.

August 01, 2009, 01:57:37 PM
Modern hardcore is about as close to AntiCimex as it is to Chopin. 

I don't really care for that 80s stuff much but I far far prefer it to the stuff they listen to now.

August 02, 2009, 10:06:15 AM
One thing I've noticed, is that modern trends seem to love ganking old terms and using them to refer to the respective trends. Thats why you have bands like Suicide Silence being called grindcore, or Norma Jean being called hardcore, and I even heard this stupid band called Sinai Beach call themselves thrash.

The fuck is the deal?

August 02, 2009, 10:30:25 AM
One thing I've noticed, is that modern trends seem to love ganking old terms and using them to refer to the respective trends. Thats why you have bands like Suicide Silence being called grindcore, or Norma Jean being called hardcore, and I even heard this stupid band called Sinai Beach call themselves thrash.

The fuck is the deal?

I remember someone telling me that Trivium was thrash and a band called White Chapel is death metal...no no.... oh shit. I was appalled by that hah.

People are so dumb and blind these days, same with these stupid inconsiderate bands that call themselves a certain genre like that..It's really pathetic. No wonder people are like that, so much stereotyping with these bands like that and same goes for the term "metalheads". That's why I don't like to be catergorized under that, it's shameful.