Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Exterminate all the hipsters

Re: Exterminate all the hipsters
July 28, 2009, 10:25:10 AM
Wow, that's interesting.

I imagine they were hugely successful and are now signed to SONY?

They became something of an "it" band in Black metal for a little while, pre Wolves In The Throne Room. Now theyre still a bunch of floundering druggies who can't write songs to save their life. They never got signed to a big label, but their popularity proved that people don't give a shit about the music when there's a "unique" image to go with it.

Yeah, hop on over to FMP forums and you'll still see fans, most that will even defend their integrity concerning the lies and plagiarism. They even have two new albums coming out! I remember this being one of the first bands I heard about and thought to myself, "black metal hipsters." Since then a lot more of what I'd consider hipster metal bands, like WITTR have popped up in their wake.

July 28, 2009, 01:26:33 PM
WITTR at least have the decency to be somewhat intelligent and to write their own music.

Hey, at least the members of Velvet Cacoon are asexual, so they wont be dropping their dumbass traits into the gene pool.

July 28, 2009, 02:07:19 PM
I saw it as three consecutive hipster attraction phenomena where each one was worse than the previous because of being more insidious.

1) Nargaroth. The German maniac had some talent but lacked the self confidence to stay within the sensible frames of the project (the creation of a tribute to Burzum and Graveland), so fabricated all kinds of illusions around the band and his own personality. In retrospect, it wasn't all that bad - this band tried to scare away the posers. The problem was apparently being one himself?

2) Velvet Cacoon. The context here was FMP forum and scene, where all underground trivia gets bloated to extremes and absurd legends and humorous incidents are the raison d'etre. The original mixture of ambient and black metal was clever and you gotta admit that the stories about diesel harps were romantic - as in Nargaroth's case, the people behind it might have been scumbags but at least they inadvertently showed some beautiful possibilities to explore. Of course this group soon sadly ran out of gas (diesel).

3) Wolves in the Throne Room. Whereas Nargaroth wanted black metal to be the center of attention again and Velvet Cacoon was filling its own underground niche, WITTR went all the way to absolutely reject that there is any serious artistic and philosophical merit to black metal besides the sonic qualities of the music. What they were saying was that they themselves are in fact an important and better phenomenon than old black metal was. You couldn't accuse the previous two mentioned bands of being intentionally hostile to the principles of black metal but it's easy to do so with these indie rockers. They are neither mythical warriors nor drugged shamans, but green leftists, so there is no longer any kind of distance between them and their audience. And despite any good intentions they may have in regards to ecological or musical ideas, making BM socially into punk is the worst possible disregard for the myth that is black metal.

July 28, 2009, 05:54:31 PM
good points, but you also didn't mention that WITTR, like VC and Nargaroth, tell lies.  for all their eco-friendly spoutings, they still played a handsomely paid event sponsored by Scion, the car company.  you tell me how cars fit into their "eco-fascist" ideology.  these guys are the worst offenders.

July 29, 2009, 07:23:33 PM
Of course this group soon sadly ran out of gas (diesel).

Lol.

I would put Bone Awl in there somewhere as well.

July 29, 2009, 07:39:00 PM
Lol.

Did they also fabricate a story?  I thought they just bored everybody with ILDJARN + house beat "black metal."

July 29, 2009, 07:49:42 PM
What happened with Nargaroth?

I don't listen to "-garoth" bands unless they have a singer named Gaahl, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance here. 

July 29, 2009, 10:01:33 PM
What happened with Nargaroth?

I don't listen to "-garoth" bands unless they have a singer named Gaahl, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance here. 

Quite a list of things.

http://nargaroth.shaddai.name/en/

July 29, 2009, 11:20:13 PM
Did they also fabricate a story?  I thought they just bored everybody with ILDARN + house beat "black metal."

I don't think they've ever come up with anything as ridiculous as VC. But then, I don't think anyone has in black metal yet.

July 30, 2009, 12:07:16 AM
Lol.

Did they also fabricate a story?  I thought they just bored everybody with ILDARN + house beat "black metal."

No, I just consider them to be on par with the others mentioned as far as hipster black metal goes. Particularly Bone Awl, and now that I think of it Drowning the Light as well are bands that instantly come to mind. They both have a large catalogue of "cult" releases (often tapes and 7") for being such recent bands and it's all completely uninspired bandwagon music. Bone Awl, from what I understand is literally what hipsters imagine black metal to be, some kind of dressed up minimalist punk/noise that in my opinion is way too much of a compliment to compare to any Ildjarn material. Drowning the Light on the other hand is typical bedroom black metal that desperately tries to identify with a previously established image, whether that be NS, satanic, or simply being a band that makes limited ebay worthy releases, because it has no inherent substance itself; really pathetic.

edit: Responding to these bands misrepresenting themselves, I don't think they've fabricated any major stories outright or anything like Velvet Cacoon or Nargaroth have, but it is pretty clear to me that they have nothing to do with metal. They seem to be in it just to identify themselves with the image (whatever it is they think that is...) or the scene, for popularity's sake.

July 30, 2009, 09:43:10 AM
I'm afraid I can't agree about Bone Awl.  time will tell, maybe i'm wrong, but i enjoy their infectious music and basic style.  it's definitely Ildjarn informed, but i would call it black metal through a punk filter.  just because a certain group of hipsters like them does not make them hipsters themselves.  i saw them in philly, they played with Volahn and Ashdautas, two bands that seem pretty serious about their black metal.  personally, i don't know if Bone Awl even consider themselves a Black Metal band anymore.  i close my eyes and i think they're Oi! 

who knows.  WITTR suckered me with their first album (i thought they were just a young band that worshipped Weakling).  they proved after that to be arrogant indie-rock hipsters with no respect for the basic foundations of metal, then of course the Scion gig.  guess that makes me gay.  i somehow don't think Bone Awl is going to follow that route.  if anything, i see them eventually letting go of their black metal ties, but i'll still like them as a punk band.