Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Distortion

Metal Distortion
July 25, 2009, 05:27:37 PM
Some of the best metal sounds ever came from old Swedish death metal bands like Entombed, Dismember, Grave etc.

Their distortion sounds can be very difficult to mimic.  The answer is the Boss HM2 pedal-- either cranked to 10 through a clean tube amp channel (Marshall JCM or the like) or distortion at 0 through the amp distortion, with all other knobs on 10.

Very simple.  The distortion is bonecrushing.

I hear a lot of people who don't like this tone.  They want to run through pods and all sorts of effete bullshit.  They should stay in artfag coffeeshops listening to Dream Theatre.

Layered distortions make an excellent black metal tone with this.

Re: Metal Distortion
July 26, 2009, 07:42:05 PM
I firmly hold that the greatest accomplishment of the Swedish death metal bands was pissing off all the Norwegians, who then created metal that is artistically superior by orders of magnitude.

Also, I think there are much better and interesting forms of distortion out there (e.g. Onward to Golgotha or Filosofem).

July 27, 2009, 03:09:23 PM
entombed had the fuckin' tone.  i mean, it's not the only tone out there, but that's a fuckin' tone!!!  i think the old Big Muff still has untapped possibilities for cool distorted sounds, but a lot of folks seem to dig that HM2

July 27, 2009, 03:14:21 PM
The thing with the HM2 is it's so damn easy-- you plug it in and crank it up all the way and you're all good.  And it's basically the perfect metal tone.  I don't think I've heard a better one in the intervening 20 years.  I remember when I first heard Left Hand Path it was the most evil guitar sound I'd ever heard.  Now, 20 years later, it's still the most evil guitar sound I've ever heard, and not for lack of trying on the part of 10,000 bands.

My best friend in 1989 listened to dance music, and stuff like John Tesh and Yanni (!!!)

The night his mother died, we sat up drinking and listening to Left Hand Path over and over again.  He said there was something about the sound of it that just seemed appropriate at the time.