Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

University Metalheads

Re: University Metalheads
April 09, 2006, 07:45:25 PM
Not all hope is lost, I landed a job at the Universty Radio station, and I review "Loud Rock", and I will become the Metal Director next year.  It's good, but I don't think any body ever listens to my shows.  I haven't gotten a call for over 4 months.  It could also becuse its on at 8:00 on saturday.

At the station, it is pretty much either Hip Hop, like Massive Attack, or popular Indie Rock.  Oh well, I hope to get some more metal heads to apply, then hopefully convert them to listen to better metal.

Plus I since I review Albums, and talk about upcoming concerts on my show, I can usually get on  guest lists.  The job rocks.

April 10, 2006, 07:08:05 PM
I attend a community college in fairly wealthy section of the town I live in (no houses under 400k, no apartments, just got a Dollar store.) Some of my acquaintances from there listen to heavy metal, but not all of them are as enthralled with black/death metal as I am. The town is mostly a bedroom community where lawyers, doctors and owners of businesses come to live and raise their children away from the poor urban areas. It is somewhere in the American SouthEast.

Pop-Punk/Hardcore/Metalcore is a much bigger staple of the local scene than Heavy Metal, and it is the most visually noticable contingent on campus (after Frat boys finding a haven from their grades and computer repair trainees).

How many of my acquaintances enjoy heavy metal as a realized art and no just music? I could probably count them on one hand.

April 11, 2006, 06:20:52 AM
I don't like the "metalhead" look, so I don't dress the part.

April 11, 2006, 01:58:49 PM
I've been doing an internet radio show on my campus for about two years. Lately, I haven't been playing metal as much mostly because on campus there does seem to be so little of an actual interest in that genre and no one really calls in to make requests. So I usually just play what I want for fun or play stuff that I know won't send the people who can hear on the student lounge speakers into a frenzy.

Here's the list of last wed. show:

Red Right Hand- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Nocturnal Me- Echo & The Bunnymen
Sunspots- Nine Inch Nails
Long Way Back from Hell- Danzig
For Whom the Bell tolls- Metallica
Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)- Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Green Light- Sonic Youth
Depression- Black Flag
Sirius- Pelican
Innuendo and Out the Other- Cave-In
Inertiatic ESP- Mars Volta
Street Fighting Man- The Rolling Stones
Red Rain- Peter Gabriel
Empty- Anathema
Cometh Down Hessian- High On Fire
Black Winter Day- Amorphis
Whiskey In The Jar- Metallica
Stormrider- Iced Earth
The Howling Of The Jinn- Nile
Warp City- Ministry
Schism- Tool
Aqua Dementia- Mastodon
A Darker Place- Enslaved

April 11, 2006, 02:33:07 PM

God Macabre - Into Nowhere
Afflicted - Astray
Torchure - In His Grip
Gorguts - Obscura
Grand Belial's Key - Satanicunt
Falchenbach - Heathen Foray
Amorphis - Under A Soil and Black Stone
Molested - Forlorn As A Mist Of Grief
Morbid Angel - Abominations
Mourning Beloveth - My Sullen Sulcus
My Dying Bride - Sear Me
Deathspell Omega - Blessed are the Dead Whiche Dye in the Lorde
Demigod - Fear Obscures From Within
Dismember - Shadows of the Mutilated
Gods Tower - I am the Raven
The Chasm - A Portal To Nowhere
Infester - Braded Into Palsy
Averse Sefira - Deathymn
Behemoth - Thy Winter Kingdom
Dudkh - Blood

That was mine on Saturday.

April 11, 2006, 02:38:30 PM
Let's not kill this thread with lists. I've enjoyed reading it so far. Interesting to compare US and UK university metal scenes.

I don't like the "metalhead" look, so I don't dress the part.

It becomes less appealing as you get older. Although some 'diehard' fans never give it up. A band tshirt with jeans is about as close as I get to the metalhead look.

April 11, 2006, 05:57:06 PM
I own only two band shirts. One is for Nile, because I liked how it looked. The other is my cousin's post-punk band, the only reminder of which is the shirt I own. So my "metalhead" wardrobe is limited, and I end up looking like  a "normal" person around campus.

I've noticed that instead of growing their hair long, most metalheads in my area are growing their beards.

There are no radio stations that play metal-oriented music in town, so the "scene" gets by on local bands and occasional releases/tours by favored artists.

April 12, 2006, 11:40:13 PM
Pretty much no one at my uni knows I have metalhead tendencies, or a "history" of metalophilia, as I tend to dress quite stiffly.

A petty issue, but it prevents metal fans bashing heads together I'm sure.

Anyway, universities are job factories now.

April 13, 2006, 12:27:11 AM
Most people who I talk to know that I am a metal head because for some reason coversations often end up in the subject of music. But I don't think people would guess that I am a one as aside from the long hair I look fairly conservative.

I couldn't agree more, if I hear the phrase "if you do this subject you can get this job which pays so and so much" one more time I think I am going to puke. Also the complete lack of interest in knowledge for it's own sake is appalling. Usually people just want formulas and reference sheets and the like so they can pass the exam with no idea of where the data comes from. Erm anyway, I am derailing this topic.

As far as I know, my university is fairly barren to metal types, though they could all be passing under the radar.

April 13, 2006, 08:11:48 PM
I forgot to add: I don't think I really want to meet any metal heads anyway. Would it be anything to mourn if there was shit all metal people on campus? Would it be anything to mourn if things weren't like they were 15 years ago?

April 13, 2006, 09:49:18 PM
Pretty much no one at my uni knows I have metalhead tendencies, or a "history" of metalophilia, as I tend to dress quite stiffly.

A petty issue, but it prevents metal fans bashing heads together I'm sure.

That's quite rare to have folks like you here in Planet Los Angeles. Most metal heads in neighboring areas are either A)  overtaken by their social desires, thus not completing very much, or B)  too fucked up in the head to even give a shit about a thing like a decent education, thanks to mom and dad stressing 9 to 5s, barely making the rent money.

As for me, well, I look like a person who just came from an Immortal gig in '94, minus the dyed black hair.

April 14, 2006, 05:16:45 AM
I forgot to add: I don't think I really want to meet any metal heads anyway. Would it be anything to mourn if there was shit all metal people on campus? Would it be anything to mourn if things weren't like they were 15 years ago?

I agree that those topics usually come up, but when you hang out with another most of the time you have more than just metal in common.  Usually metal heads like to relax, listen to metal, maybe have beer, and talk.  I find metal heads some of the most interesting people.

April 14, 2006, 05:16:46 PM
I find metal heads some of the most interesting people.

Most metal heads in neighboring areas are either A)  overtaken by their social desires, thus not completing very much, or B)  too fucked up in the head to even give a shit about a thing like a decent education, thanks to mom and dad stressing 9 to 5s, barely making the rent money.

April 15, 2006, 01:16:38 AM
It becomes less appealing as you get older. Although some 'diehard' fans never give it up. A band tshirt with jeans is about as close as I get to the metalhead look.

Hmm... What about dressing ENTIRELY IN BLACK?  

Elder dudes can pull it off, like Johnny Cash.