Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus (March 2010)

Re: Varg humor
February 09, 2010, 02:37:34 PM
Looks familiar.. anyway, ol' Vark 4 lyfe.

All exaggerations aside, the element of audible violence and heroism is completely left behind in place of crowd-fappery. Everyone can keep arguing "UMG 30 SECOND CLIPZ ARENT ENUFF" 30 seconds is plenty enough time to decide if you like something or not, or at LEAST find some kind of interesting point.. I listened to each 30 second track in disbelief at first, I even used super lyric translation skills from Burzum.com.. the 2nd and 3rd time through each sample.. left my head shaking.

February 09, 2010, 02:59:50 PM
I simply can't understand the people who claim that there's nothing interesting about the Belus samples.  Granted, the only Black Metal I listen to came from the '80s and early '90s, with the exceptions of Engram, Krieg, Averse Sefira, and some odd bits and pieces here and there (Summoning, but are they even Black Metal?), so maybe that's why I'm finding these terrible samples ever more enticing.

I reckon a lot of people wanted it to be shit, a lot of people feared terribly that it would be shit, and a lot of people believed the first thing they read.

February 09, 2010, 04:31:37 PM
Push that which is falling..

Re: Burzum - Belus (March 2010)
February 09, 2010, 07:00:15 PM
Fuck. Really, I just fell for that...

February 09, 2010, 07:33:02 PM
I simply can't understand the people who claim that there's nothing interesting about the Belus samples.  Granted, the only Black Metal I listen to came from the '80s and early '90s, with the exceptions of Engram, Krieg, Averse Sefira, and some odd bits and pieces here and there (Summoning, but are they even Black Metal?), so maybe that's why I'm finding these terrible samples ever more enticing.

I reckon a lot of people wanted it to be shit, a lot of people feared terribly that it would be shit, and a lot of people believed the first thing they read.

Believe me, We all want a return to traditional form.. but we won't get that. I understand as time goes on people change, as well as the way they exhibit themselves through an artistic intermediary due to naturally occurring circumstances beyond they're means... Even if it is a sample, take 30 second segments of each song on the newest Immortal album.. though Immortal has sucked for a while, you can still find in that 30 second sample you hear proto-typical nu-black metal, what you are supposed to hear..Rather than focusing on creating you get the same thing you've heard a hundred times before, what kind of spiritual or emotional change can that evoke? On the other hand its a catchy mediocre rock album that you can chat with friends online or play video games to, very similar in structure and design to these Belus samples... I'm not going to hold myself below standards just because its labeled Burzum. Burzum was fearless, this is just uninspiring at this point.. I don't have time for catchy music. Grammy award nominations coming forthwith.

February 09, 2010, 07:51:41 PM
Would it not be the most epic troll ever if someone just threw together something to fool everyone into thinking its Burzum... and the samples circulating are all fake? I would look immediately at Conservationist.

February 10, 2010, 03:30:24 AM
Would it not be the most epic troll ever if someone just threw together something to fool everyone into thinking its Burzum... and the samples circulating are all fake? I would look immediately at Conservationist.

Indeed.

Regardless, one thing is for sure : when I listened to the samples I thought it was another band, not Burzum ; which is kind of problematic. Because the mighty Burzum should not be just Thorns + Enslaved + Gorgoroth aesthetics, which are what these samples immediately brought to my mind.

February 10, 2010, 05:19:32 AM
Even if it is a sample, take 30 second segments of each song on the newest Immortal album.. though Immortal has sucked for a while, you can still find in that 30 second sample you hear proto-typical nu-black metal, what you are supposed to hear..Rather than focusing on creating you get the same thing you've heard a hundred times before, what kind of spiritual or emotional change can that evoke? On the other hand its a catchy mediocre rock album that you can chat with friends online or play video games to, very similar in structure and design to these Belus samples... I'm not going to hold myself below standards just because its labeled Burzum. Burzum was fearless, this is just uninspiring at this point.. I don't have time for catchy music. Grammy award nominations coming forthwith.

This post suggests that what was good about Immortal was the same as what was good about Burzum, and, by extrapolation of this inaccuracy, what is bad about Immortal now is the same as what is going to bad about Burzum now.  Unfortunately, for this argument, there is no basis in observable fact.

As far as "the same thing you've heard a hundred times before" goes, I haven't wasted a large amount of my time listening to this "norsecore" bollockery that people keep going on about.  If Belus has the same production/general sound as "norsecore", then that's most likely because it's the logical step from Filosofem, which I would assume these "norsecore" bands liked copying very much.  As it is, I can see aspects of what was good about Enslaved and early Borknagar in these samples, but there's still something very "Burzum" about it all.  The fact that most of you can't seem to be able to pick up on that suggests that I might spend far too much time listening to Burzum.

How on Earth did you manage to summon up the gall to suggest that you can tell anything about the structure or design of the Belus samples?  Samples generally won't have "structure", and won't give any hints as to the design of the greater works of which they are a part, because they're samples.  The only judgments we can make from what we've been given are to do with the sound of the album, in general.  You can't possibly start talking about the quality of the music until you've heard the music.  Listening to samples out of context is always going to be shit.

February 10, 2010, 05:47:13 AM

You act like he's you're god.

February 10, 2010, 05:55:28 AM

Merchandise idea: "What would Conservationist do?" wristbands.

February 10, 2010, 06:15:16 AM

Indeed.

Regardless, one thing is for sure : when I listened to the samples I thought it was another band, not Burzum ; which is kind of problematic. Because the mighty Burzum should not be just Thorns + Enslaved + Gorgoroth aesthetics, which are what these samples immediately brought to my mind.
You could simplify that by comparing the samples to the first Manes album, almost aesthetically identical.

What I find most unusual is the tempo--it's very unlike Burzum (with the except perhaps of Jesu' Tod). I was under the impression that we were going to have an album akin to Dunkelheit on our hands based on previous comments from Varg.

February 10, 2010, 06:26:40 AM

Merchandise idea: "What would Conservationist do?" wristbands.

The kids will eat it up.

I haven't heard the samples and I don't intend to. The comments are somewhat discouraging, but also so ridiculous that I'm going to disregard everything anyone says until the album is leaked in full and I've heard the complete work myself. As much as I would love to make myself feel important by laying down the hammer of ultimate internet warrior judgment now, I'll wait until I know what I'm talking about.

February 10, 2010, 10:24:58 AM
Hell, the guy needn't have released any samples at all. Nothing whatsoever or maybe one complete song would have been better. I've held off from listening to the samples. I want to listen to the album in full before I make any judgement calls.

February 10, 2010, 11:05:05 AM
Even if it is a sample, take 30 second segments of each song on the newest Immortal album.. though Immortal has sucked for a while, you can still find in that 30 second sample you hear proto-typical nu-black metal, what you are supposed to hear..Rather than focusing on creating you get the same thing you've heard a hundred times before, what kind of spiritual or emotional change can that evoke? On the other hand its a catchy mediocre rock album that you can chat with friends online or play video games to, very similar in structure and design to these Belus samples... I'm not going to hold myself below standards just because its labeled Burzum. Burzum was fearless, this is just uninspiring at this point.. I don't have time for catchy music. Grammy award nominations coming forthwith.

How on Earth did you manage to summon up the gall to suggest that you can tell anything about the structure or design of the Belus samples?  Samples generally won't have "structure", and won't give any hints as to the design of the greater works of which they are a part, because they're samples.  The only judgments we can make from what we've been given are to do with the sound of the album, in general.  You can't possibly start talking about the quality of the music until you've heard the music.  Listening to samples out of context is always going to be shit.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion that we must work through. Many seem touchy about Burzum and take harshly to any criticism or humor put forth. I know a 30 second sample isn't going to deter my faith in his visions and desires, or even leave me entirely prejudice before the release of this album.. It's called a joke. Check into them. The point I was trying to make is that by hearing these samples in contrast with previous Burzum releases, (although we've heard them in their entirety) is that none of these samples (I stress again, a matter of opinion on what we need to feel emotion from music) seem to capture the essence Burzum held, that differentiated his work with the rest of the black metal from his time. If these samples DID contain elements that linked old to new, and just didn't sound like Varg recently heard Gorgoroth's Antichrist, thought it was cool, fired up ProTools and threw together a cheese-fest of what black metal expected of him then perhaps I'd have another opinion.. from what I heard its going to suck, and he will make a ton of money from it. The majority of Burzum's fans are morons anyway, why not exploit that? He has cows and ducks to feed down on Old McVikernes farm.