Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Burzum - Belus (March 2010)

Re: Varg humor
February 10, 2010, 11:32:40 AM
"[Burzum is] my personality mixed with a complete contempt for conformity. I abide by no rules, and generate music oblivious to what is going on in the music world, so I am not influenced by others (I haven't heard a new album since Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, in 1996, and don't want to either). My music is not as much tainted by alien influences. It is pure Burzum. In a sense I left the music world in the year 1993, to live in oblivion, and I re-entered the music world in 2009, so musically I am still in 1993. My music was never exposed to the blight of time. Burzum today is in many ways an anachronism, and I think at least some of you might think that is a good thing."

"The music is mostly melodic, melancholic and monotonous. If you have heard the first two and a half tracks on Hvis Lyset tar Oss and the first three tracks on Filosofem I don't think you will be surprised by the music on Belus. I "cherry pick" on Belus, so to speak, like I should have done on all the previous albums, and make a more thorough and consistent album this time."

"The main objective with Belus is to make something exceptional, musically, of course, but also when it comes to overall atmosphere. It is supposed to be primitive, dreamlike, unreal, fantastic and different. A window into a reconstructed past, and also a source of inspiration to those who are attracted to the barbarian Antiquity. Being "incurably anti-conformist" I also challenge the accepted truths when it comes to mythology, and go even further back in time, to ages preceding the age of mythology - and of course I present a more complete picture of what I have found in the hitherto (because I am translating it into English) unpublished book Religion and Sorcery in Ancient Scandinavia."

February 10, 2010, 02:44:35 PM
I want to listen to the album in full before I make any judgement calls.

I am reserving judgement as well.

Re: Burzum - Belus (March 2010)
February 11, 2010, 12:50:10 AM

February 11, 2010, 01:28:15 AM
"[Burzum is] my personality mixed with a complete contempt for conformity. I abide by no rules, and generate music oblivious to what is going on in the music world, so I am not influenced by others (I haven't heard a new album since Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, in 1996, and don't want to either). My music is not as much tainted by alien influences. It is pure Burzum. In a sense I left the music world in the year 1993, to live in oblivion, and I re-entered the music world in 2009, so musically I am still in 1993. My music was never exposed to the blight of time. Burzum today is in many ways an anachronism, and I think at least some of you might think that is a good thing."

"The music is mostly melodic, melancholic and monotonous. If you have heard the first two and a half tracks on Hvis Lyset tar Oss and the first three tracks on Filosofem I don't think you will be surprised by the music on Belus. I "cherry pick" on Belus, so to speak, like I should have done on all the previous albums, and make a more thorough and consistent album this time."

"The main objective with Belus is to make something exceptional, musically, of course, but also when it comes to overall atmosphere. It is supposed to be primitive, dreamlike, unreal, fantastic and different. A window into a reconstructed past, and also a source of inspiration to those who are attracted to the barbarian Antiquity. Being "incurably anti-conformist" I also challenge the accepted truths when it comes to mythology, and go even further back in time, to ages preceding the age of mythology - and of course I present a more complete picture of what I have found in the hitherto (because I am translating it into English) unpublished book Religion and Sorcery in Ancient Scandinavia."
Thanks for posting those, I probably wouldn't have read them otherwise.

If that doesn't particularly happen on the new album, at least it's a good description of the classic older stuff and if nothing else it's helpful insight that we can use to enjoy it by.

February 11, 2010, 05:08:08 AM
I am starting to believe that some people's hunger for identity is more important to them than properly judging a piece od music.  I will give the creator of Burzum's third album a fair chance before throwing the album away.  Yes I heard the "warning signs" on the samples and yes, it did not seem like these songs (save for one or two of them) had any of the Burzum character, but as stated before that is all asthetic, and while both substance and asthetic is important, one of them seems to rule in this forum, which is why I came here in the first place.

At best, though, I imagine this will be like Monotheist.  Good ideas with out-of-touch form.  I lived with it the first time.  He has made great music for a larger percent of his career than most other great metal bands, and of the highest quality as well. 

February 11, 2010, 07:30:58 AM
Resurgam (Russia): You are in debt to Norwegian government for burning churches. Will the sales return from "Belus" album be used to pay this debt?

Of course not. Thanks for asking though. I really don't want anyone to believe that a single penny of my or anybody else's income from Burzum will be used to pay this debt. The only thing they will ever get from me is the finger, so to speak.

This is a great quote.  Even if the albums sucks it at least shows the guy behind it all still has a spine and no remorse. 

February 11, 2010, 08:28:00 AM
So now we should cheer him for being a fucking sociopath?

February 11, 2010, 08:39:35 AM
a) it's obvious he could never repay those sums of money in the first place, and b) his original thesis of "if they don't respect us, then why should we respect them?" reigns supreme over a mandate for him to essentially become a slave, especially considering his recognition of the destruction unleashed upon traditional Nordic places of worship at the hands of Christians (or whatever you want to call them).

Were some members of the black metal cadre nuts?  Probably.  But I don't think that constitutes a mandate for the intelligent ones to spend a compromised life for having fought back against what amounts to a cultural/spiritual holocaust.

February 11, 2010, 10:45:46 AM
So now we should cheer him for being a fucking sociopath?

I think sociopaths seem to be the only ones worth cheering looking at the list of those admired at this site (Unibomber, school shooters, etc, etc)

February 11, 2010, 07:01:02 PM
I am starting to believe that some people's hunger for identity is more important to them than properly judging a piece od music.  I will give the creator of Burzum's third album a fair chance before throwing the album away. 

Yes, for anyone of sanity would wait, if you care so much, will hold off and see in the album's complete form to give a decision. It's only fair to say. Even if it does suck, you can still appreciate the older works since they will always be there, knowing you can actually rely on it. After all, Varg will remain an icon in Scandinavian metal(as what Devamitra has said in another thread), despite the controversies involving him and will still be known for his past music, present and future to come.

February 13, 2010, 03:25:20 PM
I think sociopaths seem to be the only ones worth cheering looking at the list of those admired at this site (Unibomber, school shooters, etc, etc)

That isn't really a reasonable assessment.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Theodor Herzl
Ted Kaczynski
Pentti Linkola
Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.anus.com/zine/db/

February 19, 2010, 03:24:21 PM
Belus has leaked, and, in the process, the worst fears of worried Burzum fans have been confirmed.  This is - by the standards set by Burzum's earlier work - absolute garbage.  The surface still sounds like Burzum (artifact of production?), but it's the dumbest version of Burzum imaginable, so it ends up being more like Lugubrum or some stale Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement cheese from the Ukraine.  

There's no song development to speak of.  Where previous Burzum works featured songs that either unfolded through a sequence of related ideas in narrative form, or were woven like a tapestry out of textured layers of sound that accrued until a clear emotional and ideological concept emerged, Belus, largely follows an uninteresting A-B-A formula where each song consists of an "introduction" dominated by one progression and an "outro" that simply repeats it sandwiched around a middle section dominated by a different progression.  

Varg gets lazy even at the purely tactical level: far too many riffs are simply variant rhythmic subdivisions of the same basic progression, and vocals take the coward's way out, mostly doubling the rhythmic stress of the guitar riffs.  The effect is an off-putting and wildly inappropriate sing-song gentleness, so that, like a child's lullaby, most of these songs serve adequately as mood or background texture, but lack the articulation of thought or dramatic tension necessary to fully move beyond the "sonic wallpaper" niche, a problem not aided by the rhythmic predictability of most of the phrasing (or the cheesy spoken word vocals that litter the album).

This isn't entirely without virtues: as a musician, Vikernes has never been better, and, consequently, there's a greater variety of surface technique applied to this album than previous Burzum works.  It is partly for this reason that Belus is not quite as boring in practice as it could have been, given the haste with which it was released and the seeming loss of inner spirit it reflects.   But mostly, it's listenability is partially salvaged by the fact that Vikernes remains a songwriter capable of shitting out transcendent melodies (even the ones with a disturbingly - gag - Pink Floyd influence) on command.  The problem is that this is, at best, an 85th percentile album from what has hitherto been a 99th percentile artist.  FAIL.

MLK

February 19, 2010, 04:39:08 PM
I dont mean to sound melodramatic but;

since this is probably the last of the truely great metallers of old to sell out/fail, can we at last declare a generation of metal dead and buried??
the past is dead and all that is broken belongs to it. whats eternal belongs to us, the rest is kipple. long live the future.

February 20, 2010, 03:49:10 AM
Burzum with the redundancy - yet strange likability - of early Satyricon comes to mind upon listening to this. 

There's no direct correlation, but I think people here will get the connection: it's good but not vital.  What I'm getting at is material that's done well, but isn't the least bit fresh.  This sounds old and a bit conservative all at once.  It's hard to feel like one has experienced something so much as merely having been presented the material, and that limp-wristed execution is clearly the complete opposite of what made Burzum something of an institution.

Bittersweet is the only way I can think to sum up this release.  (Samey also comes to mind, but these are apparently older tracks.)

February 20, 2010, 04:36:31 AM
It's amusing to listen only once to an album you've been waiting five years for.