Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Smoking pot makes you depressed for life

Smoking pot makes you depressed for life
December 18, 2009, 01:27:23 PM
The study, which was published in the journal Neurobiology of Disease, looked at 18 adolescent and adult rats that were exposed to cannabis.

Those given the drug had decreased levels of serotonin, which affects mood.

The animals also showed higher levels of norepinephrine that can increase susceptibility to long-term stress, said Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a psychiatric researcher from the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre.

"These permanent changes in the brain are also linked to certain mental illnesses, like schizophrenia," Gobbi said Thursday.

"And we showed that even if we stopped the cannabis use at the end of adolescence, the changes were still detectable in adulthood."

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/12/17/marijuana-teen-brain-rats.html

Really painful when you think about it. Fun for now, then lifetime depression later.

Re: Smoking pot makes you depressed for life
December 18, 2009, 05:10:34 PM
I don't believe this is true. These studies ignore the fact that Cannabidiol is the second most represented chemical in marijuana. This chemical is used as an antipsychotic  to TREAT  schizophrenia. It is also a neuroprotective antioxidant. There have been many different studies that claim both sides. I find that the studies that say marijuana causes such things are similar to the studies that say kava kava cause liver damage, which is just obviously false.

December 18, 2009, 05:52:13 PM
I can't speak to the science of it, but I have seen quite a bit of first-hand empirical evidence that suggests there may be some truth to this.(I know many who have smoked, some regularly, since the 80's at least and nearly ALL exhibit some classic signs of depression) Then again, the depression may stem from any number of other sources, and have nothing whatever to do with dope.   

Something to consider though.

December 18, 2009, 06:46:05 PM
I don't believe this is true. These studies ignore the fact that Cannabidiol is the second most represented chemical in marijuana. This chemical is used as an antipsychotic  to TREAT  schizophrenia. It is also a neuroprotective antioxidant. There have been many different studies that claim both sides. I find that the studies that say marijuana causes such things are similar to the studies that say kava kava cause liver damage, which is just obviously false.
The study argues that it is related to the development of depression, not psychosis. Depression in schizophrenia is known as a negative symptom (which includes loss of affect, asociality, catatonia etc), whereas antipsychotics are used to treat the positive symptoms (hallucinations, paranoia etc).

Heydrich: This link is well known, however, as you imply, they might of been using marijuana because of their depression, not the other way around.

December 18, 2009, 09:25:34 PM
I hate to admit it, but Conservationist has put up some good evidence for his case.  Because it is done on rats, it controls factors like subjective perceptions of mood and cultural biases.  Serotonin is obviously related to mood regulation, although we are still not sure exactly how.  Because of factors I mentioned earlier, it is hard to come to an objective measurement of mood, but this is a pretty close candidate for a factor which is involved.

December 18, 2009, 09:48:14 PM
I hope there are exceptions to this rule, having been a regular pot smoker since the age of 13, and only in the past year begun to slow down and then stop altogether. I'll always wonder about the years and brain cells I left behind. Cannabis has always been the one and only thing I enjoy getting intoxicated on above all others. I think with enough will power and determination, one can overcome the depression that pot dependency creates. It robs you of the emotional tools it takes to cope with real life problems, but those can be gained through discipline.

December 18, 2009, 11:08:36 PM
I hope there are exceptions to this rule, having been a regular pot smoker since the age of 13, and only in the past year begun to slow down and then stop altogether. I'll always wonder about the years and brain cells I left behind. Cannabis has always been the one and only thing I enjoy getting intoxicated on above all others. I think with enough will power and determination, one can overcome the depression that pot dependency creates. It robs you of the emotional tools it takes to cope with real life problems, but those can be gained through discipline.

On the other hand, there is no evidence that Marijuana "kills brain cells"

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/#brain

December 19, 2009, 12:37:11 AM
http://www.drugwarrant.com/2009/12/can-we-have-some-science-reporting-with-integrity-please/
-short article response to a marijuana depression article.
Due to the fact that there is so many corrupt/wrong scientific  proof on marijuana, such as  cannabis killing brain cells,  high addiction, harms you, causes a motivational syndrome, interferes with hormones, damages fetus, etc. All of which are not true. So i believe a lot more research needs to be done before any true evidence can be determined.

December 19, 2009, 01:10:38 AM
Pot is a waste of time, through experiences with it myself, and through interaction with long-time users... I've learned its another form of masturbation.. You gain nothing from being high but a sense of temporary self fulfillment, the feeling wears off and you are either whacking it again or planning on when you can whack it again.. much like cigarettes.. it always wears off leaving you neurotic, causing the brain to find similar alternatives to attain satisfaction..

However, as the article suggests, depression is a long term effect... an example of "since it feels good now, I'll do it.. the future is like... years away anyway, man"

I think the article should have been longer, maybe it could have included information regarding the natural changes in the brain during adolescence and marijuana's negative cohesion when introduced at a susceptible period in growth. 

December 19, 2009, 02:24:46 AM
Mostly for reasons of development kids shouldn't use drugs frequently. When 12 year olds are getting high it's a signal that part of society is failing. There's nothing wrong with adults using drugs responsibly or ritually though. I've never really noticed marijuana causes or worsens depression. I did notice it causes paranoia, apathy and limpwristed behavior. I take all research (both positive and negative) with a grain of salt because usually there's some kind of agenda involved so sadly the research can't be trusted. I also never understood how some people can dismiss marijuana as harmful but defend the (ab)use of alcohol and medication. All drugs are harmful to some extent, and that should be one of the reasons why it's fun to do: because it's dangerous. Anybody looking for a safe experience should simply rent a Disney movie.

December 19, 2009, 12:23:16 PM
http://www.drugwarrant.com/2009/12/can-we-have-some-science-reporting-with-integrity-please/
-short article response to a marijuana depression article.
Due to the fact that there is so many corrupt/wrong scientific  proof on marijuana, such as  cannabis killing brain cells,  high addiction, harms you, causes a motivational syndrome, interferes with hormones, damages fetus, etc. All of which are not true. So i believe a lot more research needs to be done before any true evidence can be determined.
What fact? You're picking at straws with this research and claiming it's unfounded, yet you're spouting a lot of nonsense yourself with no sources (other than a pro-drug website which obviously has an agenda and only argues against the way it is reported in the media).

December 19, 2009, 02:15:13 PM
I still use it every once in a while. I don't find myself to be depressed at all. What IS depressing are people who don't know how to balance their usage with every day life. It gives the responsible minority an undeservedly bad rep.

December 19, 2009, 02:56:14 PM
As with any drug, there's use and abuse. Simple as that.

I do see neurosis and depression and other unstable emotions in some pothead friends and even adults I know, but there's also the ones (myself included I would say) that generally enjoy life, and are motivated in personal projects and learning endeavors.

What's the point of condemning it like it's evil?

December 19, 2009, 10:52:27 PM
I havent read all of your comments but I think alot of science is just common sense and being healthy is common sense also. Inhaling any form of smoke is unhealthy - we just know that. You also know when your diet is healthy and when you are getting enough exercise. I think week should be taken in highly mjoderate doses (and if then only in nature and on special occassions) but generally not. It should also be pointed out the our patron saint, Nietzsche, reviled alcohol and basically looked at christianity as a metaphysical / religious narcotic to excatpe suffering (which he embraced to a degree as a means to self realization).

December 20, 2009, 01:43:36 AM
I havent read all of your comments but I think alot of science is just common sense and being healthy is common sense also. Inhaling any form of smoke is unhealthy - we just know that. You also know when your diet is healthy and when you are getting enough exercise. I think week should be taken in highly mjoderate doses (and if then only in nature and on special occassions) but generally not. It should also be pointed out the our patron saint, Nietzsche, reviled alcohol and basically looked at christianity as a metaphysical / religious narcotic to excatpe suffering (which he embraced to a degree as a means to self realization).

While i agree with Nietzsche on the religious fact. I personally do not use chemicals and such to escape suffering reality. I tend to use it as a form of entertainment as like climbing a tree or walking in the woods. People who use drugs as a "adhesive strip" are just kidding themselves. If any form of chemical or object (food, drugs, exercise, anything really)  is used to block out the reality of things people will come out depressed in that sense. Drugs are like food, if you eat too much your going to hurt yourself. But hell, if you use drugs in a proper manner, then i find it to be healthy. All in all drugs are unique to the individual. And hey if one were to use drugs make you aid in escaping suffering why not? If you were in a fight with a wolf and had a knife would you not use it? why fight with no weapons.