Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Industrial black metal fails

Re: Industrial black metal fails
January 15, 2010, 06:03:53 AM
As a general rule, I agree that the black metal industrial hybrid approach fails. However, when it works, it really works. Electric Doom Synthesis is proof of that.

That album is similar in construction to black metal in an electronic format. If it's industrial, than so is Drawing Down The Moon.

January 16, 2010, 10:09:45 AM
but I have not come across any good bands, besides Curse of the Golden Vampire

That band was a 2 man project created by Justin Broadrick from Godflesh. He has a bunch of electronic projects, but downloads are really hard to come by and I haven't heard most of them. I have heard CotGV, and I prefer it over Godflesh. He has another project called Jesu, which is like Godlfesh with more pop and ambient influence. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Blut Aus Nord, which incidentally is an extremely successful merging of industrial and black metal.

industrial's beat-structure is incompatible with metal's need for cadence.
Nagelfar(not Naglfar) does this. I reviewed them recently here http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,3152.msg40885.html#msg40885. They're really black metal with a few industrial sounds every now and then except that they have an entire industrial track on their Srontgorrth album that blends in perfectly into the rest of the black metal album. Black metal and Industrial are most definitely not incompatible and this proves it.

Ruins of Beverast seems promising.

The man behind RoB also had a band before that called Night Conquers Day. The album "The First Snowfall" is probably the only thing he's made worth listening to. A lot better than RoB. Incidentally, I also reviewed that band in the post where i reviewed Nagelfar. The band barely uses industrial sounds at all though.

January 16, 2010, 11:33:29 AM
The man behind RoB also had a band before that called Night Conquers Day. The album "The First Snowfall" is probably the only thing he's made worth listening to. A lot better than RoB. Incidentally, I also reviewed that band in the post where i reviewed Nagelfar. The band barely uses industrial sounds at all though.

This is one of the weirdest confusions of data I have come across recently.

The Ruins of Beverast is connected to the band Nagelfar which you described in your same message at length.

It has nothing to do with Night Conquers Day, which is an American moustache band I have covered here.

But please go on.

January 16, 2010, 12:39:10 PM
I've heard that a Pete Helmkamp related project called Feldgrau is supposed to be of some worth, would anyone here know if their work is worth any insight?

January 16, 2010, 12:56:05 PM

This is one of the weirdest confusions of data I have come across recently.

The Ruins of Beverast is connected to the band Nagelfar which you described in your same message at length.

It has nothing to do with Night Conquers Day, which is an American moustache band I have covered here.

But please go on.

Wow I really messed up. I must've confused the associations because I started listening to those bands around the same time. For some reason I thought RoB was one of the NCD related acts. What I was thinking was that all the NCD related acts were nothing compared to NCD's first album, "The First Snowfall". That album is extremely different from the works of all their associated acts and their own second album. In your review, you link to 2 songs from their second album, which was a worthless album.

Either way, Nagelfar is better than RoB.

January 17, 2010, 06:15:17 AM
In your review, you link to 2 songs from their second album, which was a worthless album.

If you have the time to find or upload a better representation of them on Youtube, please comment that article and we can add the song to the Deathmetal.Org official channel.

Really, Godflesh nailed it and until someone makes another Streetcleaner, the genre is going to bite ass because industrial's beat-structure is incompatible with metal's need for cadence.

It's a controversial opinion but I think Ride For Revenge's "The King of Snakes" was nothing less than a black metal "Streetcleaner", but its aesthetic took it so far from industrial/modern that it can hardly be a template for anything particularly electronic. Unless they team up with Beherit.

January 17, 2010, 06:59:51 AM
I've heard that a Pete Helmkamp related project called Feldgrau is supposed to be of some worth, would anyone here know if their work is worth any insight?

http://www.last.fm/music/Feldgrau

January 17, 2010, 02:37:46 PM

That album is similar in construction to black metal in an electronic format. If it's industrial, than so is Drawing Down The Moon.

To me, it's somewhere between the two. It's certainly not straight industrial, but it has an ambiance that the early industrialists like Neubauten were driving toward.

I always think of real industrial as being artful noise, rather than just boring "scary" electronica. 

As for DDTM, I don't really see the connection. That album is a bit more straightforward. Just saying.

Good Industrial
June 12, 2010, 04:44:10 PM
Good news:

New release of Streetcleaner, along with Godflesh tour dates! Possibly a new release in the future.

Swans plans on touring and releasing a new album, reminiscent of their earlier work. You should probably expect to see JKB at the Supersonic Festival.

For further consideration: Check out Godflesh's album "Slavestate" if you haven't already. I'm appreciating it more than "Streetcleaner" as of late.

June 12, 2010, 11:05:46 PM
I didn't see Windham Hell in the previous posts, so I'll recommend them.

The "black metal" label is up for question, but I do know that Leland was inspired by the genre while writing/instructing Eric.  Their brand of minimalism in the riffing comes as no surprise given that fact.

At any rate, I think they were on to something.  Definitely worth checking out.

June 12, 2010, 11:37:37 PM
The name "Eric Freisen" sounds familiar to me. At one point, was he on the BBS? Anyway, I appreciate the recommendation although I wouldn't classify it as industrial metal.

June 13, 2010, 01:05:04 AM
It's industrial at times imo.  Take the following for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdeN1Ks4xhQ

Plenty of it comes off as mechanized to me.  Maybe the melodies obscure that feature of the music.

June 13, 2010, 09:01:35 AM

http://www.anus.com/zine/music/feldgrau/mechanized_misanthropy/

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php?topic=301.0

June 18, 2010, 08:21:47 AM
Yeah, it's safe to say a lot of Industrial metal sucks big ones.

I've tried finding decent examples of it, but they all generally fail to impress me.

June 18, 2010, 10:17:56 PM
That Feldgrau album is some awesome stuff. I'd say it's better than every Angelcorpse album besides their second one, and better than every Order from Chaos album besides their debut.