Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Haiti & foreign aid

Haiti & foreign aid
January 15, 2010, 08:44:04 AM
http://video.foxnews.com/v/3968824/talking-points-114

This video touches on the problem with foreign aid--that much of it gets in the hands of the corrupt few in power, who sustain themself with it--and relates it to the current situation in Haiti. Please ignore the Bill 'O Reilly.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa065.html

Analysis by the libertarian CATO Institute concerning "the continuing failure of foreign aid."

http://www.globalissues.org/article/35/us-and-foreign-aid-assistance

Wiki article on foreign aid; see the index for topics discussed.

http://www.bravenewtraveler.com/2009/03/26/is-foreign-aid-killing-africa/

Article on Dambisa Moyo's ideas and her book Dead Aid. Includes a link to her discussing her ideas on NPR.

http://commonwealinstitute.org/blog/jill-richardson/norman-borlaugs-unsustainable-green-revolution

Concerning the effects of the Green Revolution, see also the Criticisms section of the Wikipedia article.

http://www.truthout.org/article/noam-chomsky-the-tragedy-haiti

Long article on Haiti's history, and the effects of USAID / IMF foreign aid (used as a political tool).

Links to sites/articles discussing foreign aid, Haiti and related topics appreciated.

Re: Haiti & foreign aid
January 15, 2010, 08:18:42 PM
For my two cents, last year we had an earthquake in Abruzzo, as I am sure some of you may be aware. Corruption has run rampant with the Mafia ad Cammorra  in the rebuilding of this region and it was discovered that the buildings were sometimes made with sand mix with cement! What shit this is that even my own people can be greedy and be corrupt, all the while Italy may lose its sense of well being just because they go this way of thought....

January 15, 2010, 09:33:12 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand how the US government can offer aid to other countries when some of it's own citizens are living in poverty and runs underfunded public services.

January 15, 2010, 09:38:21 PM
I don't think I'll ever understand how the US government can offer aid to other countries when some of it's own citizens are living in poverty and runs underfunded public services.

Seriously. Fuck Haiti.

January 15, 2010, 10:29:50 PM
"I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away."
Luke 19,26

Yesterday was a Tsunami in the poorest portion of Asia, now an earthquake in Haiti.  I wonder why nature stroke the most lacking and corrupt country in the American continent in such way, a country even inefficient to receive aid.

January 15, 2010, 10:41:36 PM
Perhaps "nature" was trying to tell them something...

January 16, 2010, 12:00:23 AM
I have no qualms with the people of Haiti, but it is their own ordeal in my eyes... A natural disaster. Shit happens. The United States seems to always take the forefront of offering aid when there is a foreign natural disaster, altruism in its weakest form.. moronic US citizens are pounded with images of Haitians being stomped by nature on TV... Red Cross accepts donations via SMS messages, so they all start mindlessly texting away millions of dollars because the people on the glowing box told them to and they all feel like they accomplished something... 75% of all donations will never see Haitian hands anyway. After a week or so you won't hear or see anything about it, everyone will be on to the next topic. It's all about appearing to be helping and contributing to something.. while putting in as little effort as possible in the process.. and to think a few weeks ago, Haiti didn't even exist to the media consciousness. Forget Haiti.

January 16, 2010, 01:57:59 AM
I have no qualms with the people of Haiti, but it is their own ordeal in my eyes... A natural disaster. Shit happens. The United States seems to always take the forefront of offering aid when there is a foreign natural disaster, altruism in its weakest form.. moronic US citizens are pounded with images of Haitians being stomped by nature on TV... Red Cross accepts donations via SMS messages, so they all start mindlessly texting away millions of dollars because the people on the glowing box told them to and they all feel like they accomplished something... 75% of all donations will never see Haitian hands anyway. After a week or so you won't hear or see anything about it, everyone will be on to the next topic. It's all about appearing to be helping and contributing to something.. while putting in as little effort as possible in the process.. and to think a few weeks ago, Haiti didn't even exist to the media consciousness. Forget Haiti.

Isn't the modern world fascinating? Still so Christian, even without the Christ!!

January 16, 2010, 04:16:58 AM
and to think a few weeks ago, Haiti didn't even exist to the media consciousness. Forget Haiti.
You might wanna read up on the Propaganda Model.
It's all about appearing to be helping and contributing to something.. while putting in as little effort as possible in the process..
It's more to prevent damage to the USA's "street cred", so to speak. It also boosts support for Obama somewhat.

January 16, 2010, 05:24:21 AM
That is why even though I do not like the Italian prime minister, he did say that he would not like to accept foreign aid , especially from America, unless America showed signs of solidarity with Italy . But the point being is he believed enough of Italy being proud enough to help ourselves, just as we did after the war.

January 16, 2010, 07:23:20 AM
I wonder why nature stroke the most lacking and corrupt country in the American continent in such way, a country even inefficient to receive aid.

Probably because "nature" doesn't care.

January 16, 2010, 06:48:27 PM
I admire Rush Limbaugh for standing up and saying something about the Haiti effort, and not backing down from the pressure when people were firing back at him.

January 16, 2010, 08:55:15 PM
Deforestation in Haiti is a severe environmental problem. In 1923, over 60% of Haiti's land was forested; by 2006, less than 2% was.[1]

Satellite image depicting the border between Haiti (left) and the Dominican Republic (right), 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_Haiti

Yeah, fuck Haiti.

January 17, 2010, 01:24:47 AM
I admire Rush Limbaugh for standing up and saying something about the Haiti effort, and not backing down from the pressure when people were firing back at him.

Yeah, it's all too common now.. when a popular figure in the mass media says something against the grain, you'll get cries from all corners of the political spectrum of support or outrage. Due to the amassed army of neo-hippy, passive aggressive liberals that Barack H. Christ has influenced, expect another massive scrambling to the donation hot-lines the next time nature decides to fart all over a third world country... and the tempered conservatives in media who decide to adhere to some realistic opinions and values to point out the fallacies... now I am not entirely certain, since there are claims that Limbaugh didn't exactly denounce offering assistance but to do so through private donations to avoid tie-ins with government agencies... still he received plenty of backlash for speaking against the crowd.

January 17, 2010, 08:29:28 AM
People like to cry over foreign places or romanticize them, because people hate their own lives. That's why all the make-work talking heads are weeping over Haiti, and even the fat impoverished people in grocery stores are sending their $10 through their cell phones. It's a giant scam that will contribute nothing in the end except "good feelings," and as with drugs, people will do a lot for that.