Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Best extreme metal songs

Best extreme metal songs
February 11, 2010, 09:27:36 AM
I have recently spoken with my friend, who was curious what and why I appreciate in metal. I tried to convince him that it can be not only about more brutal rock, and promised to show him best of death and black metal. My plan is to make 1 CD for each genre and put about 10-15 songs in it. Now, what are the most crushing and well composed songs of extreme metal? I usually listen to full albums, not chosing particular songs, so it's a bit hard to me.

Re: Best extreme metal songs
February 11, 2010, 09:44:11 AM
Here's a start for albums, and I can't say I disagree enough to complain.  If whoever you're talking to can't handle digesting an entire album then it's obviously a lost case.

Death Metal:

1. Massacra - Final Holocaust
2. Deicide - Legion
3. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
4. Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
5. Sepultura - Morbid Visions
6. Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
7. Morpheus Descends - Ritual of Infinity
8. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
9. Obituary - Cause of Death
10. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
11. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
12. Dismember - Like an Ever-Flowing Stream
13. Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
14. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
15. Demilich - Nespithe
16. Asphyx - The Rack

Black Metal

1. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
3. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
4. Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
5. Graveland - The Celtic Winter
6. Bathory - Blood, Fire, Death
7. Ildjarn - Det Frysende Nordariket
8. Summoning - Dol Guldur
9. Gorgoroth - Antichrist
10. Beherit - Electric Doom Synthesis
11. Enslaved - Vikinglgr Veldi
12. Havohej - Dethrone the Son of God
13. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
14. Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
15. Mutiilation - Remains of a Dead, Ruined, Cursed Soul

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/best_of/

February 11, 2010, 09:57:16 AM
It depends also a bit on his musical background, so you need to think how to communicate in his personal "language" so to say.

Punks will easily get into Bathory and Celtic Frost but those are unlikely to catch the ear of the jazz fan, who might be more into Atheist or Voivod. But avoid the obvious and use your intuition to make him hear new and interesting angles to extreme metal.

February 11, 2010, 12:45:30 PM
I think a mixtape is the way to go. You can't sit through an entire album before your ears are adjusted to the sound, in metal this will take a little time.

The problem is that most of the music which is good for learning to appreciate the metal sound, like Slaughet of the Soul, doesn't have any of the real metal qualities.

Like Devamitra said, getting in to new music is a lot about personal taste. For hipsters, I would go with some really raw, but not silly stuff, like Ildjarn. For most people though, I think a clear melody that can be easily followed is often the best trick. Dunkelheit and Transilvanian Hunger were personal favorites of mine when I began enjoying metal.

February 11, 2010, 01:04:54 PM
what are the most crushing and well composed songs of extreme metal?

The problem here is how well does your friend understand song composition? You might play him the best composed death metal and he/she may not be able to recognize that. It might just sound like "brutal rock". To make this difference clear I'd suggest something like early Emperor or Demilich, or something which has a narrative, story-like composition(and lyrics too?) which most rock doesn't have.

February 11, 2010, 02:25:54 PM
Mix-tapes are a great way to get people into new music...

CD 1:

1.) Morbid Angel - Intro
2.) Morbid Angel - Fall From Grace
3.) Deicide - Dead But Dreaming
4.) Sepultura - Morbid Visions
5.) Atheist - Piece of Time
6.) At the Gates - Windows
7.) Therion - Symphony of the Dead
8.) Suffocation - Jesus Wept
9.) Incantation - Unholy Massacre
10.) Amorphis - The Gathering
11.) Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
12.) Gorguts - Earthly Love

CD 2:

1.) Bathory - Odens Ride Over Nordland
2.) Bathory - A Fine Day to Die
3.) Burzum - Ea, Lord of the Depths
4.) Immortal - A Sign for the Norse Hordes to Ride
5.) Beherit - Axiom Heroine
6.) Gorgoroth - Possessed (by Satan)
7.) Burzum - Key to the Gate
8.) Sacramentum - Blood Shall Be Spilled
9.) Graveland - Gates to the Kingdom of Darkness
10.) Mayhem - Life Eternal
11.) Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards
12.) Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

February 11, 2010, 02:54:23 PM
Well, I would have no problem with chosing albums (and there are some threads about best albums), but I need songs. My purpose is to show as much as possible beauty and variety of death and black metal in short introduction. Giving 15 full albums instead of songs is theoretically most accurate, but it doesn't work with person who wants just to see what I mean when I say metal can represent noble ideas, great composition etc.  

My friend is probably good person to judge metal from outside. He listens mostly to classical music (he was even in musical primary school) with some progressive rock and chillout. Definitely not a hipster :) That's why I don't want to give him something basing on it's ear-friendliness (although extremely raw stuff like Morpheus Descends wouldn't fit). I think he is able to recognize spirit and purpose of metal, even if not to appreciate it's aesthetics. Willing to show how good metal to someone who cannot understand it would not be very smart.

The list above is good. Nice to see many song titles I thought about earlier.

February 12, 2010, 03:52:21 PM
Immortal- Into the Infinity of Thoughts,
Decapitated- Human's Dust (Contains the best guitar solo I've ever heard in terms of atmosphere),
Bathory- Enter the Eternal Fire,
Gorguts- Sweet Silence (at least give him some hope of understanding Obscura by leaving out the growls),
Theory in Practice- Expiring Utopia.

I'll leave it here; there's no point overwhelming you with songs.

February 12, 2010, 05:09:12 PM
"Into The Infinity Of Thoughts" is by Emperor, not Immortal.

February 12, 2010, 06:06:21 PM
Oops, apologies. I've only just recently gotten into Black Metal; it's all swirling around my head at the moment.

February 12, 2010, 06:09:14 PM
Oops, apologies. I've only just recently gotten into Black Metal; it's all swirling around my head at the moment.

What makes you qualified to announce the "best songs" if that is the case?

February 12, 2010, 06:52:37 PM
I thought that might come up. Though, really, I'm probably the best qualified for the job at hand (regarding Black Metal anyway). What is the song that immediately stands out above all others as being a masterpiece to the layperson? For this layperson it is Into the Infinity of Thoughts by Emperor.

February 12, 2010, 07:21:34 PM
I played some songs from "In The Nightside Eclipse" for some girl. She really didn't have a problem with the aesthetics at all and she barely even listens to rock music in general.

February 12, 2010, 08:03:36 PM
Here are some songs from albums that revitalized my metal commitment after so much crossover, death, grind, heavy, and speed metal listening. I'm probably not BM qualified, so instead here is another way to organize such lists, if it helps any better.

Burzum
Ea, Lord Of The Depths
Jesus' Tod

Darkthrone
Natassja In Eternal Sleep

Emperor
I Am The Black Wizards

Graveland
Witches Holocaust
River of Tears
Gates to the Kingdom of Darkness

Immortal
The Sun No Longer Rises
Pure Holocaust

Mayhem
Funeral Fog
Freezing Moon

February 13, 2010, 04:32:24 PM
I actually made a mix for a friend recently to introduce him to great death and black metal.  In the end an entire album is the better experience, but in this case I don't see a problem with a mix CD.

CD1 Death Metal

Asphyx - Initiation Into The Ossuary
Dismember - Override of the Overture
Incantation - Blasphemous Cremation
Cartilage - Ether Depression
Immolation - No Forgiveness (Without Bloodshed)
Suffocation - Liege of inveracity
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Morbid Angel - Brainstorm
Amorphis - The Lost Name of God
At the Gates - Neverwhere
Athiest - Enthralled in Essence

I know these aren't considered death metal, but I added them anyway

Terrorizer - World Downfall
Bolt Thrower - Forever Fallen

CD2 Black Metal

Bathory - Odens Ride Over Nordland + A fine Day To Die
Gorgoroth - Gorgoroth
Burzum - En ring til aa herske
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Darkthrone - Skald Av Satans Sol
Emperor - Into The Infinity Of Thoughts
Summoning - Angbands Schmieden  + Nightshade Forests

I'm sure I arranged thee differently at the time, but I do not have access to my computer at this time so I remembered what I could.

*edit* and this is by no means the best of or anything like that, it's just what I felt would be easy to understand for a beginer.