Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

[META] Activities of our users

Re: [META] Activities of our users
September 21, 2010, 08:19:29 AM
Bel,

I'm also a composer and i've been for 7 years now. It's been a major part of my personal life but i've very, very rarely "published" my music for two reasons: mainly, the fact that I decided to start composing has absolutely nothing to do with mutual affirmation or other's opinions on my music. Still, when I show people my music, most of them are very impressed. However i'm very humble about and realize that even though I might have a certain amount of skill, i'm no genius.
That being said, I've been through the phase you're going through when I was about 14 years old. I totally understand the reasons for making electronic/MIDI music (lack of funds, lack of instrument playing skills, etc). Aesthetically midi music is hard to judge/appreciate since you have very little control over the sounds you emit. But there can still be a lot of musical value if you're making use of melody, counterpoint, proper rhythms and structures, etc. These are not present in your music at all, and for these reasons I honestly feel like your demo (which i've actually listened from top to bottom) is garbage. Now I really don't criticize other composers and believe me, i'm not using this criticism to act highly and above you.
If you want to become a good composer, you need to properly study music (which can be done by yourself, if you're smart). First you need to pick an instrument or more and become good at them (I've been playing guitar for 9 years). Then, you need to immerse yourself completely in the world of music and composing. You need to understand things to be a composer, things you obviously haven't understood yet (by listening to your demo). But the thing is, passion for music is not a choice. For me, it wasn't. For any accomplished musician, they will not tell you that music requires "effort", but just passion. And I can see the effort in your music, like most music, but it's garbage until you have any kind of aesthetic, structural and rhythmic value to it. So work hard (become passionate) or just stop writing music. If you keep writing music, keep it to yourself until you feel like it has any "more" "worth".

September 21, 2010, 08:30:42 AM
Thanks. I don't know music theory. I'll take a course on it some day.

September 22, 2010, 07:39:40 AM
I just need one more confirmation from someone else if it's really bad. Then I'm not even going to bother creating more music before learning theory

September 22, 2010, 09:10:07 AM
http://www.myspace.com/nothingleftfortomorrow  Since everyone's being so forthcoming, here's what i've been doing with the last three years. Nothing groundbreaking, simply throwback speed metal-meets-death metal pacing. I'm drumming, came to the songs after they'd been written. There's a rather large crossover background to the main songwriter, so if you hear those influences creeping into things, don't be surprised.

September 22, 2010, 09:17:08 AM
You could also learn a classical instrument / get a teacher. Just a thought.
The demo is OK, although more as enjoyable background music.

September 22, 2010, 09:21:09 AM
You could also learn a classical instrument / get a teacher. Just a thought.
The demo is OK, although more as enjoyable background music.

Thanks, that really uplifted me. Maybe next year I'll take a course on music theory but I don't plan do play an instrument soon... I feel fine creating eletronically.

September 22, 2010, 03:53:42 PM
Not to be mean, but if you actually do music expecting any kind of reward other than the pride that comes with making a piece you're proud of, then composing music isn't for you. And believe me, you can learn all music theory without spending a cent (like I did).

September 22, 2010, 04:34:21 PM
Not to be mean, but if you actually do music expecting any kind of reward other than the pride that comes with making a piece you're proud of, then composing music isn't for you. And believe me, you can learn all music theory without spending a cent (like I did).

Making a piece that I'm proud of is my goal. But, after the song is finished, it's OK to show it. (altough from what I know, there are some well appreciated composers who composed after requests, for money).  But I don't have the patience to learn music theory on my own. I feel a drive to compose sometimes, but as you said it's hard without the skills (altough there are composers who don't know theory).

October 06, 2010, 07:29:32 PM
Just a quick recording on my laptop of an improvised/sorta planned assembly of ideas I have. Crap quality, but its pretty clear I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iBaSGO-7M

Critisism definately wanted.

October 08, 2010, 04:02:05 PM
bump

October 09, 2010, 03:01:39 AM
I'd go see Nothing Left For Tomorrow if they played near me. Enjoying the music.

October 09, 2010, 03:07:31 PM
Awesome! Where do you live around? Who knows what the future may hold?...

October 10, 2010, 03:09:05 AM
I live in Newcastle which is the north east of England. If you guys ever tour the uk I'll get you a gig roundabouts here.

October 10, 2010, 03:48:09 AM
Just a quick recording on my laptop of an improvised/sorta planned assembly of ideas I have. Crap quality, but its pretty clear I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iBaSGO-7M

Critisism definately wanted.

Hard to make much of a spattering of riffs without context, but what I heard sounded promising enough. Certainly you could find an audience within true original Death Metal based on what this sounds like. I liked the last minute or so it a lot. There is one "barking" riff, that at least here, really annoyed me at one point though. I'm trying to envision what this might sound like as a band, and when I do that, it sounds like something I'd give an honest listen to.

On the right track.

October 16, 2010, 09:06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5W0Qp6QWgc - please listen on highest quality.

I think I've posted a very old Ex Nihil song on here before ("Propagating Chaos"), though that was more an exploration of the essence of Death Metal than an actual attempt at writing Death Metal proper.  This song, "Breaching the Walls of Sylph", is the second Death Metal song which I've (almost completely) written.  The link above is the first minute or so - from the point at which it ends, it moves into the third riff, which, after introduction, cycles through three variations before returning to the second riff, over which the vocals will kick in (if I have the ability to record vocals here at University).

The other song which I've written for Ex Nihil was "Ancient Summoning", which I think I posted a link to at some point, and which I'm going to re-record shortly, as soon as I've finished a second guitar part.  I don't have a bass with me here, so I have to make do with simply using two guitars and (surprisingly realistic, in my opinion) midi drums.  Vocals may or may not be possible.

Criticism very welcome.