Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The state of being on the fence

Re: The state of being on the fence
September 13, 2010, 12:46:35 PM
Everyone tiptoes around their "guilty pleasures" or other albums they like that the DLA or other Hessians in general doesn't. Fuck that. Own your music. The DLA isn't making apologies it likes the new Slayer junk, even if it holds the same place on the continuum between crap and classic that Death Magnetic does.

Yes, yes, but why is this point necessary? I am fully confident in my ability to decide for myself what is and what is not of quality, and if that happens to match the quality standards of another person, or a group of people, than why the hell would I change my preferences just to be different? What I see here is people accusing other people of being blind followers only because they refuse to intentionally alter themselves for the sake of appearing an individual. To borrow your terminology "Fuck that." I'm going to enjoy what I enjoy, regardless of whether everyone I know enjoys it, or no one I know enjoys it, and I'm not going to let someone berate me because they can't admit that their real problem is with my taste, and not with how my taste matches others.

September 13, 2010, 12:52:15 PM
The point is the creator of the topic does enjoy 0peth, he said it so himself.

September 13, 2010, 01:29:52 PM
I fully admit to judging others on music and metal taste. A guilty pleasure being Alice in Chains, Metallica or Soundgarden is one thing, but Dying Fetus, Eminem or Opeth is quite another.

Or maybe it isn't, and I've just created arbitrary distinctions in my head.

September 13, 2010, 07:41:57 PM
Or maybe it isn't, and I've just created arbitrary distinctions in my head.

Yeah, probably. I think it's useful to judge based on presence or absence of high quality music, but not so much with presence or absence of low quality music. Just ignore it and it'll go away eventually. And if it doesn't, who cares.

September 13, 2010, 08:30:59 PM
Oddly enough, something was lost in translation for me and I thought the Pink Frothy AIDS bit meant Pink Floyd and not Blowpeth. And when I realized that it immediately made me judge the entire thread starter differently, before even framing what happened in the context of this digression of this discussion.

September 13, 2010, 10:06:26 PM
Quote from: baalzebuth

You should never cease to listen to something because you discovered it's inferior. Rather you should listen until you are sick and tired of it by yourself, not by what other people say.

I find that the latter usually occurs naturally as a result of the former. Not always directly afterwards, but always inspired by the idea.

I am starting to get the idea that there is some ego stroking at hand here. I was 'bravely' admitting to enjoying Pink Frothy AIDS in the past and some of you seem to treat it as if you were some god fearing, fag-hating traditionalists who just witnessed me exiting the closet. As you've all mentioned recently, you like what you like and you should be confident in your own ability to find quality music. You always abide by your standards at heart. All I was saying was that my 'open' standards met a more rigid system of judgment that I've felt quite comfortable in adopting as my own. And I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of both music I have continued to enjoy for a long time and music that I keep discovering. I use the DLA and forums as complementary tools to guide me. They're not definitive but usually indicative of the quality and I happen to trust the consensus here, though I would never stop listening to myself.

September 14, 2010, 12:55:25 AM
Some guilty pleasures get an almost immediate knee jerk reaction through perceived incompatibility with one truly holding the ideals expressed in true black and death metal, much like admitting to sucking a dick once when you were drunk, in college, and experimenting, is probably incompatible with not being seen as gay by the fag-hating traditionalists.

Blowpeth is one such band.

I myself early in my metal conquest liked the first two albums, and to this day would at the very least will say they had the ability to singularly write some catchy neo-classical type sounding moments, especially moments during songs like Black Rose Immortal. But there just isn't enough payoff to sit through the absolutely awful writing. I guess this means I experimented with being gay in college too in a way, doesn't it?

Wanna make out?

September 14, 2010, 02:32:18 AM
don't worry man, I listen to linkin park and blink 182

September 14, 2010, 04:32:17 AM
It's just dawned on me that I never actually "liked" any of the Blink 182, Sum 41, Greenday crap that "we all" used to listen to back at my school.  The first music which I really "liked" was probably Linkin Park/Korn, around the age of 10/11, and then Cradle of Filth/The Dim Buggers replaced all of that pretty shortly.  I've gone through a succession of phases of listening to one or two main bands and hearing the material of a load of similar/inferior bands at the same time, then ditching the crap and keeping the good, moving onto better music all the while.  And yes, I am blowing my own trumpet, hoping to score brownie points with the cool cats at the DLA, chortle chortle.  Is it working?

I still like Cradle of Filth's "Green" era.  Dusk and Her Embrace is a good album, regardless of its melodramatic flourishes and over-the-top everything.

September 14, 2010, 10:39:23 AM
the fag-hating traditionalists.

I don't know if you've ever heard of the term false dichotomy...

September 14, 2010, 10:52:13 AM
Pulease. I've used that term with regularity ever since I first read it on anus.com years ago. Every chance I get. It replaced "aesthetic" as my anus buzzword.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, what makes you say that anyway?

September 14, 2010, 11:15:52 AM
Pulease. I've used that term with regularity ever since I first read it on anus.com years ago. Every chance I get. It replaced "aesthetic" as my anus buzzword.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, what makes you say that anyway?

You know, everyone who disagrees with me is a narrow-minded traditionalist, because I decided that all of my opinions are open-minded, independent, and authentic. Also, everyone who uses terminology that is not normally used by myself and people I have interacted with must be attempting to pretentiously imply that he is intelligent through use of those terms; there is no other way, because only people exactly like me are humble, unique, non-sheep.

September 14, 2010, 12:05:31 PM
I'm more turned on now than I was when I first pictured a man in the state of sitting on a fence. Don't worry, my college days are over, cutie.