Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Petition to Century Media

Petition to Century Media
April 26, 2006, 12:50:25 PM
Century Media, like many labels, once signed metal bands that were more than mere entertainment; they were artistic music groups that attempted to communicate truths of real meaning to those living and listening in our time.

Following the rise of Century Media to corporate status, the label has increasingly begun signing bands for their popularity and consequently, the quality of new music from the label has declined and nu-metal, emo-influenced metal has become the norm.

We beseech Century Media to realize that in the long term, signing quality metal will help them cultivate a dedicated and distinct audience and stand them in better economic health than being one more label putting out a steady stream of soulless acts that are a mishmash of metal, hardcore, rap and rock and sell _at first_ but fade quickly in popularity because they are recombinant and interchangeable.

Sincerely,
The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/cent666/petition.html

CM wrote in wondering about some MP3 samples on the web site, so Arminass and I decided to have some fun. Be polite. Who knows? Maybe they'll even wake up and see that what I say is true, and truth about their financial futures.

Re: Petition to Century Media
April 26, 2006, 01:35:36 PM
Apparently, the CM people have some issue with the MP3s on the Celtic Frost page. WTF? I've asked them to explain but all I get now are somewhat belligerent replies and Arminass' trolls.

Weird world...

April 26, 2006, 02:07:50 PM
Heh, I signed the Damned thing... Blood Ritual!!!

April 26, 2006, 02:09:17 PM
Signed by Matthew J. Garay.

April 26, 2006, 09:53:56 PM
Apparently, the CM people have some issue with the MP3s on the Celtic Frost page.

Perhaps they're scared of people downloading 20 second samples and using an audio editor to mix an album together ::)

April 27, 2006, 06:43:42 AM
To: "Vijay Prozak" <prozak@anus.com>, <neoclassical@mail.com>
Cc: "Phil Hinkle" <Phil@centurymedia.com>

Why aren't you addressing the fact that you have posted mp3s online for download that neither the band nor the label have authorized? Feel free to email me your response to this.

Unending Grimness,
Heather Smith
Publicity
Century Media Records
(323) 418-1400 x 134

**PLEASE INCLUDE THE EMAIL STRING IN YOUR RETURN EMAIL **

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:57 PM
To: neoclassical@mail.com

Subject: Re: FW: check

Wouldn't that be nice. I really liked the glory days of Century Media
because it seems like they believed in something more than simply sound
business practices.

Maybe we can take up a petition?

http://www.petitiononline.com/cent666/petition.html

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:32:36PM -0500, neoclassical@mail.com wrote:
>
> What is this Communism? Has Century Media decided to start releasing metal again? If so, I'm all for it.
>
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Vijay Prozak" <prozak@anus.com>
> > To: "Heather Smith" <Heather@centurymedia.com>, "Phil Hinkle" <Phil@centurymedia.com>
> > Subject: Re: FW: check
> > Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:53:12 -0400
> >
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Thanks for your note; we authorized putting those MP3 files online ourselves.
> > We appreciate your interest and of course, if you want to link to the review,
> > that would be a big help as well.
> >
> > As you know, ANUS.com has been around for a long time -- since 1996, with
> > web content going back to 1992 and FTP/ASCII content going back to 1988. We've
> > covered all the major bands and tons of CM releases. It's always nice to get
> > notice from the labels and bands we feel we help by offering
> > honest, experienced
> > opinions.
> >
> > Please contact me further if I can be of any help.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > SRP
> > anus.com content manager
> >
> > > From: Heather Smith <Heather@centurymedia.com>
> > > Date: Apr 3, 2006 5:56 PM Subject: FW: check
> > > To: neoclassical@mail.com
> > > Cc: Phil Hinkle <Phil@centurymedia.com>
> > >
> > > Hello,   Can you please let me know who uploaded the tracks from
> > > Celtic Frost's as
> > > yet unreleased album Monotheist (
> > > http://www.anus.com/metal/celticfrost.html)to your website.
> > > We appreciate your support of the band, but we have not authorized the use
> > > of the files at your site. Please get back with us directly, thanks bunches.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Unending Grimness, Heather Smith Publicity Century Media Records
> > > (323) 418-1400 x 134   **PLEASE INCLUDE THE EMAIL STRING IN YOUR
> > > RETURN EMAIL **       http://www.anus.com/metal/celticfrost.html

Iconoclast

April 27, 2006, 09:08:46 AM
Maybe I shouldn't buy from CM anymore....

April 27, 2006, 12:44:47 PM
Signed for the sheer fuck of it.

Wolfbane

April 27, 2006, 04:04:15 PM
Hey why were making a petition to century media, why don't we include in it that they reissue The Rack? (they are actually pretty good about reissuing except for Asphyx for some reason)

April 27, 2006, 05:35:52 PM
Heather Smith

The unending grimness that is heather smith....

April 28, 2006, 08:59:25 AM
why would any self respecting metal head would allow themselves to become mainstream in the first place

Wolfbane

April 28, 2006, 11:40:55 AM
why would any self respecting metal head would allow themselves to become mainstream in the first place  

money

Glade

April 28, 2006, 03:18:58 PM
haha, this has most likely come to their attention by blabbermouth publishing a new article on the mp3's. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=50454

Anyway maybe they should forget the mp3 samples and be more concerned with how the promo copy got all over the net.

Iconoclast

April 28, 2006, 06:59:57 PM
Maybe they should stop with playing games and realize this gives them a bit more publicity.

As opposed to this stupid "corporate" nonsense where they email webmasters in a passive-aggressive manner while knowing that said webmaster is in the legal right.