Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Guide For Beginners

Metal Guide For Beginners
April 26, 2006, 09:57:16 PM
i know this kind of thing has been discussed before, but i went ahead put together a beginners guide to metal in my spare time.
it's late and may need some tweaking, but give it a look see if ya want to. :)

http://www.officialworldgonemad.com/metalguideforbeginners.html

Re: Metal Guide For Beginners
April 27, 2006, 12:02:47 PM
Top quality guide. I learned a lot.  :)

April 27, 2006, 12:49:31 PM
Not bad!  Though it doesn't seem so much a guide as a collection of cover art... still, at least you didn't put anything sucky on there (except Master Of Faggots)

April 27, 2006, 01:37:54 PM
Not bad!  Though it doesn't seem so much a guide as a collection of cover art... still, at least you didn't put anything sucky on there (except Master Of Faggots)

:)

April 27, 2006, 03:29:32 PM
Not bad.  I'd have replaced "Sad Wings" with "Stained Class", "Number of the Beast" with "Powerslave", removed Venom, and some other minor things like that, but on the whole, you hit it.

April 27, 2006, 05:55:47 PM
Master of puppets is great!

April 27, 2006, 06:55:59 PM
thanks for the feedback everyone. in hindsight it may have been a bit too ambitious of me to take on such a project, and i knew half way into it that i was a tad bit in over my head.

it'll get better as it gets tweaked (hopefully!).  :)

April 27, 2006, 07:19:06 PM
Looks good except for the Viking Metal section. Put Graveland into the Black Metal section along with Enslaved. Although the latter has Viking themes it's not really Viking Metal. Then to the Viking section add:

Falkenbach - En Their Medh Riki Fara...
Falkenbach - ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri...
Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Einherjer - Dragons of the North

Keep in mind these are just suggestions. It's your guide after all.

April 28, 2006, 04:39:09 AM
I see problems with bands mixed up in the thrash/speed metal/punk sections. Amebix should really be in the punk section.

Annihilaytorr

May 05, 2006, 07:11:10 PM
Not bad.  I'd have removed Venom, and some other minor things like that, but on the whole, you hit it.

Bullshit revisionist history.  

Celtic Frost(once said their mission as Helhammer was to be more extreme than Venom)
Slayer(Show No Mercy anyone)
Exodus
Sodom(In The Sign of Evil anyone)
Possessed(the song Death Metal is almost Venom worship)
Death(Mantas)
Bathory(and everyone knows it)
Mayhem(everyone knows this aswell)
Repulsion(listen to the Genocide demos)

The above list is basically a who's who of metal progenators, and all were directly influenced by Venom. You would have a much harder time finding satanic metal bands pre-86 that were not directly influenced by Venom. Venom's role on both the above and this website is extremely understated. Venom is probably the biggest influence in all of 80s metal, along with Discharge.

This anti-Venom thing is probably inspired by neo-classical elitist insecurity on Black Metal's Aryan roots. People may not like Venom for being essentially a rock band, but to deny their influence on Death and Black Metal is immature and transparent. I think the first two Venom albums basically suck, though I do like the third, as they tried harder to burry the direct rock aesthetic under a very primative 80s speed/heavy metal attack.

No, mature Black Metal is(edit - was) not rock, and admitting Venoms role will not change that, even though they said the forbidden words "rock n roll" in the song Black Metal. I don't mean to start a stupid psuedo-intellectual metalhead flame war with you, or come down on you specifically Cynical, because this shit is all over Black Metal, but you look like a dweeb.

Are you damned in Hell?

Annihilaytorr

May 05, 2006, 07:24:29 PM
I would either totally erase the Viking metal section or label it as a very minor and very unimportant offshoot of second wave BM. I would certainly stress most Viking metal has tested positive for HIV.  Falkenbach needs added for sure.

On that same note, mention needs to be made of the other bad genres of metal that have risen since the glory days, like Gothenburg, Numetal, Metalcore, un-metallic grindcore, Brutal Death, Technical Death, most Gothic Metal, and a bunch of other junk. Tell the youth what to be avoided.

Power metal needs examined, and more time needs spent on the historical definitions of Thrash and Speed vs the common ones. Metal-archives lists Slayer only as a Thrash band, and that would confuse young metalheads. It took me a long time to even accept the defintions of the genres, as I was educated post 2000 and most metalheads these days use the incorrect terms for these.

Also, Judas Priest pre-dates NWOBHM.

Nietzsche, Wagner, Vivaldi, Beethoven and Bach need mentioned too. ;)

May 05, 2006, 07:28:29 PM
Excellent guide. Though to call what Sepultura went through after Arise a "style change" is putting it lightly. I blame it all on Nailbomb, but what do I know?

Vajra

May 08, 2006, 11:28:48 PM
Dulls like 'Sanitarium (Welcome Home)' and  'Battery'.

Hessians like 'Orion' and 'Leper Messiah'.

Trivium like to emo-tise 'Paster of Muppets', apparently. http://www.myspace.com/trivium Listen to that harmony and weep.

May 09, 2006, 07:51:10 AM

Trivium like to emo-tise 'Paster of Muppets', apparently. http://www.myspace.com/trivium Listen to that harmony and weep.

yeah, there is a whole tribute to master of puppets, and that is one of the songs on there apparently.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=100338

the list of groups include trivium, machine head, bullet for my valentine, anal sodomy, cumguzzler, etc.

May 09, 2006, 09:53:42 AM
http://www.officialworldgonemad.com/metalguideforbeginners.html

Overall it was good but think it was pretty opinionated.  Had some good information though. The part about At the Gates that said to avoid "Slaughter of the Soul" upsetted me ... but hey, "to each his own". Glad you had "The Red in the Sky is Ours" in it though.

*thumbs up*