Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal Guide For Beginners

Re: Metal Guide For Beginners
June 10, 2006, 07:07:52 AM
I like the guide as is, and wouldn't add too much. One thing you'll note is that whenever you publish something, everyone has an opinion of what should be added but if you add it all, it becomes a comprehensive list and not a list of important bands and thus is useless.

Some bands matter but not in this context. When everyone shouts at once, all we hear is noise.

June 10, 2006, 08:10:53 AM
I especially liked how you included King Crimson.

The death metal part was a lot thinner than the black metal part, but the church burning story thing does take up space.

I think Master of Puppets is important to have there, too.

I like the guide as is, and wouldn't add too much. One thing you'll note is that whenever you publish something, everyone has an opinion of what should be added but if you add it all, it becomes a comprehensive list and not a list of important bands and thus is useless.

Some bands matter but not in this context. When everyone shouts at once, all we hear is noise.

Perfectly stated.

June 10, 2006, 08:56:20 AM
i would agree that the death metal section is thinner than the black metal. what was hard for me to decide on was how much of the "drama" to add to the black metal section. it's become over-hyped to the max for sure, yet to not add a piece of that history to the document would be ignoring something that did have an impact on those artists at that moment in time.

about death metal being anti-heroic...well, black metal seems to be based in rebellious heroism that has enormous self confidence. death metal is reckless and punishing in a different way, not caring whether or not the stance is heroic. the ironic part is that being that way can become heroic, but i don't feel that death metal stands on that platform in the way black metal does.

June 10, 2006, 09:49:29 AM
i would agree that the death metal section is thinner than the black metal. what was hard for me to decide on was how much of the "drama" to add to the black metal section. it's become over-hyped to the max for sure, yet to not add a piece of that history to the document would be ignoring something that did have an impact on those artists at that moment in time.

about death metal being anti-heroic...well, black metal seems to be based in rebellious heroism that has enormous self confidence. death metal is reckless and punishing in a different way, not caring whether or not the stance is heroic. the ironic part is that being that way can become heroic, but i don't feel that death metal stands on that platform in the way black metal does.

theres a difference between not having/caring about it, and using the prefix anti.

June 10, 2006, 05:18:46 PM
theres a difference between not having/caring about it, and using the prefix anti.

well, you have a point there...
i'll go back and re-read what is there and see what exactly it was i wrote.
i am not the greatest writer, but i try.  ::)

June 10, 2006, 06:12:09 PM
Don't think of it as a scathing criticism, I was just curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

You've put up a quality guide, now you've just got to connect it to an audience.