Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

DLA interrogates Wolves In The Throne Room.

I spoke wrongly before, and overgeneralized a bit.  When I mentioned "Viking bands", I was not really referring to Viking bands, but bands more along the lines of Amon Amarth.  To my mind Amon Amarth is comical above anything, but their Viking image is no more productive than the movie 300 in terms of providing a direction for society.  It's not even necessarily reverent toward the culture they praise, for in the process of bringing Vikings into modern Europe and America through Metal, they are forcing us to see historical events in a different light.  It's no longer about the values a certain culture once upheld, but about a loud n' crazy, fun, adolescent male-friendly version of said values.

Bathory is a different story, as is Emperor, as is Beherit.  In these cases it is about an attempt to channel ancient ideals through contemporary music.  I would argue that all three of these bands have much to communicate.  Amon Amarth, on the other hand, is a gimmick.  A problem with WITTR's responses in the interview is that they do not acknowledge this distinction, and lump it all together under "return to ancient ways of living", whereas, especially in the case of Beherit, we see that such reverence for ancient ways is presented in a manner that is highly pertinent to our own time.

I agree that the talk of "dark energies" and the otherworld reflect nothing more than WITTR's desperate longing to be genuinely okkult.  In that regard, yes, their words do stand in for a lack of relevance in their subpar music.

I think the consensus is also that WITTR is genuinely incapable of producing Black Metal, and are perhaps better suited to other tasks.  They're trying to take the fangs from the dragon who rules chaos, whereas Burzum sought to control it.  They claim they don't want their music to be PC, but they certainly want it to be accessible.  That concern comes through in their music above much else.

I think the general consensus is that black metal died in 1994, and with a few exceptions who are A+ -- meaning like five of them -- metal since then has been the realm of imitators and hipsters who are just doing it so they have some reason to claim their lives are meaningful, even if they're immature alcoholics who work at Target and fail at it.

more like fags in the gay room