Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Delete this...

Delete this...
June 08, 2010, 09:05:15 PM
Looking back, this was a stupid topic.
Will a moderator or an administrator please remove this thread? 

Re: Evasion
June 09, 2010, 02:45:15 PM
I owned it, and it was appropriately stolen from me. It is a very fascinating read and like most things that come from Crimethinc, it combines the best of romanticism (an unstoppable desire to seize life and live it on one's own terms) with the worst of hedonistic individualism. It's a decent (not particularly well written, but being well written isn't the point) story of a confused teenager who is, to an extent, able to break away from the confines and expectations of a decaying and corrupt society to live life by a more sane code, but never really does much to make a change in the world around him.

June 09, 2010, 03:16:49 PM
In other words, our only hope in life is individualism. At least you can select conservative or liberal individualism. Buy now and you get the escape from cultural pessimism bonus pack.

The central value of collective individualism itself is immutable. Fair summary?

June 09, 2010, 06:00:03 PM
Sounds quite similar to The Anarchist's Cook Book, which sucked.

June 10, 2010, 08:43:33 AM
Yes, but this is in story form, and 100x the people will read something in story form because they, primitive monkeys, expect Entertainment.

It sounds neat. It also sounds pointless. Dropping out didn't work for the hippies, and now society continues on its direction, which is one where social factors (appearance, popularity) make decisions for us and we ignore common sense.

How's this little book going to fix that?

It'll do the exact opposite: convince more people to drop out instead of fixing the problem.

Though as I get more experienced, I'm more positively disposed toward the straight edgers. Alcohol and drugs are a dead-end path (like being a melodic death metal band).