Maybe you are one of those people who can hear enough audio quality to realize that the Fraunhofer Layer III MP3 Codec is far superior to plebeian alternatives like LAME. Maybe you are not an Apple user because your blood runs red and you do not want to join a cult based on twee interfaces and brightly-colored plastic objects. This means you are stranded in the world of practical people who want to use an MP3 player like Foobar2000 or the renewed WinAMP, a real codec like l3codecp.acm, and an audio extractor like Exact Audio Copy (EAC). Digital downloads are for wimps!
You’ve got a few steps ahead of you.
- Download and install Exact Audio Copy.
- Download Windows Media Player 11.
- Follow these instructions to extract l3codecp.acm.
- From the link above, download the registry file (l3codecp.reg) and install it so that Windows plays nice with the new codec.
- Download and install this registry patch CMD file so that EAC plays nice with the new codec.
- Run EAC, go to the File Menu, select Compression Options, and make your screen look like this:
That should do the trick, for those who are old school enough to skip all the gee-whiz stuff and go with what works well.